Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stihl ones I got also have the Cordura outer covering, nice feature. Will also cut down on thorns going through you pants.

Don't Forget the Aid Kit

Now that we're all on the same page for PPE --about time--don't forget that little pocket in the chaps for the Kotex pad :hmm3grin2orange: . The only first aid kit you'll need along with duct tape to hold it on.
Was there ever a question that chaps are needed by real men ? How about full PPE ?
Yes, yes, yes: I know it's not a "tampon" , kids :biggrinbounce2: . Please don't start that one up again :deadhorse: . Puuulleeeeseeee:blob2:

I wear chaps almost every time I cut.

I really like them they keep bar oil and wood chips off my pants . I bought my dad a pair for Christmas . The only time I don t were them when I forget to grab them . Hey SRT where did you get that picture of the guy with the face injury . I think it might be my uncle . He took a chainsaw to the face a few years ago it looks alot him . I am not sure though I just saw him after he got sewed up . I also think that some of these chap makers ought to give the guy who start thread some commission . I have seen like 10 different people saying that they going to or did buy a pair .One more thing really don t like the fact that some places that sell chainsaws don't sell proper PPE. It is not small shops they usually have them but some big stores have chainsaws but no chaps . I know most people run saws alot or for a living don t buy there chainsaws form these big store s , but think the homeowner and weekend cutters should have same chance to buy PPE as a pro cutter .

One more thing really don't like the fact that some places that sell chainsaws don't sell proper PPE. It is not small shops they usually have them but some big stores have chainsaws but no chaps . I know most people run saws alot or for a living don't buy there chainsaws form these big store s , but think the homeowner and weekend cutters should have same chance to buy PPE as a pro cutter .

The homeowner and weekend cutters are the ones who NEED the PPE the most as they are the least experienced and the most likely to injure themselves. The number of injuries per hours of saw operation are highest with this class of users. And you are right, I wonder everytime I go to Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. why they don't sell PPE. With the right marketing they could sell $100 worth of PPE to every yuppie chainsaw buyer and help keep our insurance rates down at the same time.
Finnbear

I seen lowes around here that does sell ppe.....Most fire wood cutters prolly doesn't know but the ppe...Everyone should use ppe not just fire wood cutters.,,,

The homeowner and weekend cutters are the ones who NEED the PPE the most as they are the least experienced and the most likely to injure themselves. The number of injuries per hours of saw operation are highest with this class of users. And you are right, I wonder everytime I go to Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. why they don't sell PPE. With the right marketing they could sell $100 worth of PPE to every yuppie chainsaw buyer and help keep our insurance rates down at the same time.
Finnbear

Actually, there are studies that show that early on, accident rates are pretty high.
As people get accustomed to the equipment, and versed in the potential dangers, they work productively, and carefully, and accident rates are low.
Then complacency sets in, and accident rates go BACK UP as methods become routine, shortcuts get taken, and safety gets lax.
Just to say that all of us always need to keep our wits about us.

The homeowner and weekend cutters are the ones who NEED the PPE the most as they are the least experienced and the most likely to injure themselves. The number of injuries per hours of saw operation are highest with this class of users.

Not completely true,far too many "experienced.professional" operators become complacent,which is the leading cause of injuries.Also,statisticaly,the person who spends more time running a chainsaw is more likely to suffer an injury from it.I never owned or used chaps before last week,but I bought a pair and will use them.I figured the longer I went without safety gear,the more I was pushing my luck.

I don't own a pair of chaps but I absolutely know I need a pair. I catch myself taking my chainsaw for granted when I'm doing a bunch of cutting (the zone?). I had 1 close call where I tripped that would have done serious shin damage luckily I just tore up my carharts.

Since then, I've been a little over-careful almost to the point of dangerous. Like a person that drives toooooo carefully. Buying and wearing chaps will make me less flinchy and protects my "nethers". Definately a good investment.

PPE at big box stores

Yes Lowes around here sells chaps to . But only have one pair in stock at any given time same with TSC. Home Depot has none . Also don't know if your ever day homeowner would even no what they do and how they work . I know the lady that does all our safety meetings does not . I have herd her call chainsaw chap leather chaps many times . And when asked at a safety meeting why should I were chaps ? what do they do when hit with a saw ? the reply was they help you not get hurt .I can remember one time I was talking with guy fellow employee about chaps . He was new to world of chainsaws and said he like wearing chaps . Quot '' Shoot I bumped my leg with the saw a couple times today and it did nothing ''. So I explained that they do not to deflect a saw they are to stop or slow it down when you break the outer layer .That also hitting your leg couple times a day is really not good maybe you should gets some better footing or something . I guess the saw had not been sharpened or running at a real low speed when it bumped his leg .

PPE at big box stores

Yes Lowes around here sells chaps to . But only have one pair in stock at any given time same with TSC. Home Depot has none . Also don't know if your ever day homeowner would even no what they do and how they work . I know the lady that does all our safety meetings does not . I have herd her call chainsaw chap leather chaps many times . And when asked at a safety meeting why should I were chaps ? what do they do when hit with a saw ? the reply was they help you not get hurt .I can remember one time I was talking with guy fellow employee about chaps . He was new to world of chainsaws and said he like wearing chaps . Quot '' Shoot I bumped my leg with the saw a couple times today and it did nothing ''. So I explained that they do not to deflect a saw they are to stop or slow it down when you break the outer layer .That also hitting your leg couple times a day is really not good maybe you should gets some better footing or something . I guess the saw had not been sharpened or running at a real low speed when it bumped his leg .

chaps

I had already been looking at chaps and this thread made up my mind to buy. There are so many brands out there does anyone have a recommendation on brands they like better as far as fit and easy to put on. I am only a weekend warrior but I cut by myself and don't like the sight of blood. Especially mine.

i use a pair of husqvarna chaps,and to be honest ,they really are'nt that uncomfortable.

I had already been looking at chaps and this thread made up my mind to buy. There are so many brands out there does anyone have a recommendation on brands they like better as far as fit and easy to put on. I am only a weekend warrior but I cut by myself and don't like the sight of blood. Especially mine.

I bought the Elvex chaps,$54.95 + shipping...Labonville,Bailey's,Stihl,Husky..all look equally good.

I got cocky once and didn't ware the chaps ......learned my lesson :taped: :stupid:

my recommendation is to all ways ware the gear even if its for a short cut

I work in the woods by myself almost everyday, I wear full ppe and carry a personal first aid kit from labonville. If you get hurt the first aid kit sitting in your truck, won't do you much good if you can't get to it.

I hit my left leg once just above the knee, 372xp wide open. I can tell you this stuff works after that incident all I had to do was replace a pair of sawpants (which my wife yelled at me for wrecking a $75 pair of pants) but no trip to the hospital.

Be safe out there!

Chaps

No picture necessary, I have a good imagination. That's why I ordered the chaps to begin with. I'm curious how one cuts oneself on the leg with a saw, though, it kinda doesn't seem like something that's very likely to happen. And of course it doesn't happen very often, or there'd be groups like MASC (mothers against sick chainsawing). But I know it COULD happen, I ride motorcycles too, and nearly always wear my helmet and Aerostich. Like I say, I have a good imagination, and in the case of motorcycles, also have the memory of sliding along on my face, inside my full-face helmet, and not feeling a thing. W/o a helmet, I wouldn't have a nose...

It's real easy and quite fast too! Amazing how fast the Kevlar from the pants winds up in the saw and stops things from turning and cutting saving various parts you might want to keep. I can't say enough about ppe in general and don't forget the hardhat. I had a shoulder seperated by a branch that hit my hardhat first, A little bit of a headache but no hole in the 'ol noggin. :bowdown:

Jam, Sorry to hear about the shoulder! I'm healing from having my separation fixed last Monday!! My cutting is done for a while, but my shopping isn't!

Everyone: How do the chaps hold up to burrs and sticky seeds? I can't seem to walk in the woods without coming out covered in them. I actually had to throw out a fleece sweatshirt because it was so full that my fingers where sore of picking them off and I still had most of it to go. Also, if you do have an accident, how to repair the chaps...duct tape?

Everyone: How do the chaps hold up to burrs and sticky seeds? I can't seem to walk in the woods without coming out covered in them. I actually had to throw out a fleece sweatshirt because it was so full that my fingers where sore of picking them off and I still had most of it to go. Also, if you do have an accident, how to repair the chaps...duct tape?

Very well, and you ussually don't end up with them stuck in you!!

Jam, Sorry to hear about the shoulder! I'm healing from having my separation fixed last Monday!! My cutting is done for a while, but my shopping isn't!

Everyone: If you do have an accident, how to repair the chaps...duct tape?

You don't repair them...if they get cut and the fibers do their job,it's time for a new pair.Way easier to replace the chaps than to repair/replace the leg.

Back