Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wore my Labonville chaps today - got them for Christmas. Very comfortable.

Lets hope I never 'need' them. I wished the same thing about my motorcycle gear, but walked away from a high speed face plant thanks to my gear.

I did get chaps from Labonville and very pleased with how they look and feel. Also ordered a Peltor helmet from Bailey's. Very comfortable and I like the way the visor and hearing protection are set up. It will be a while before I get to use my new PPE, but I don't regret the purchase.

Good move. You won't regret it.

stihl dealer called and my stihl protective gloves are in...
have not picked them up yet, but they are a half mitten style.

is anyone using that style glove with three fingers?

Never wore a pair of "chainsaw gloves" until last week. Was cruising through the hardware store that's also a dealer and they had their only pair on sale for $6. Pretty hard to pass up at that price.

Left hand is a mitten; right hand is a mitten for the middle/ring/pinky with a separate trigger finger - like a hunting glove.

Work fine if they fit your hand. The extra padding on the back of the left hand makes for a tighter fit between the top handle and the chain brake but it's unobjectionable to me...

stihl dealer called and my stihl protective gloves are in...
have not picked them up yet, but they are a half mitten style.

Have not tried them but I am considering buying a pair. Let me know how you like them.

Yes they can be a little warm but thats nice when its cold out. I remember when i first started cutting R/W I walked up behind a co-worker ,I didnt have chaps on , his saw running he turns and just nips my pants very close to my manhood. I have always worn chaps since. The best tree guys you will ever see are the safest. Only a moron would laugh at someone being safe.

True, Its better to be safe than sorry. Also,It wouldn't hurt to wear other safety gear. Did U get my reply ??

Last edited:
Try these. It happened with a Jonsered 2171 saw with a 32" bar two days apart.

View attachment 43301

Would of made a real mess of my legs. I now wear chaps ALL the time!

When I hit the woods I look like an orange Storm Trooper.

I read some stats a while back that the average chainsaw accident requires 104 stitches. Ouch!

I use Labonville chaps whenever I cut. They have 6 layers of Kevlar and are open in the back, so they provide some ventilation. I think Labonville has been in this business longer than anyone else and claim they sell more of these than others. I found them to be the rare example of providing the best quality at the best price ($49). Here's a link.

http://labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5

Thanks for the link. I got my money's worth out of my chaps just yesterday. Nice cut across the left knee. The kevlar stalled the saw instantly. Not a scratch on me. It took a little while to unwind the kevlar from the clutch shaft, but not nearly as long as a trip to the e.r. would have taken. Now I need to order a new pair (the duct tape patch didn't stay on today).

Scott

I wear chaps, gloves, faceshield, and ear protection. After watching the doctor lift up my left kneecap to clean the woodchips out from underneath it, I will never be without them again. It also helps that I learned how to be a safer cutter. Anytime I think it is too uncomfortable, I just feel the groove in my kneecap and remember that I probably won't be so lucky the next time.

finally had a chance to go by sthihl dealer to pick up gloves.

they turned out to be mittens on left, right has one finger, thumb and mitten.

too restrictive for my uses. give it back to sthil dealer and my $$ back.
using kelvlar gloves instead.

Have not tried them but I am considering buying a pair. Let me know how you like them.

Yeah i wear mine lol been some times im glad i had em on....I have chap pants for when im in tree.... kelar boots also anything can go wrong and is always better safe then sorry........

Yeah i wear mine lol been some times im glad i had em on....I have chap pants for when im in trees
.... kelar boots also anything can go wrong and is always better safe then sorry........

Yeah i wear mine lol been some times im glad i had em on....I have chap pants for when im in trees
.... kelar boots also anything can go wrong and is always better safe then sorry........

finally had a chance to go by sthihl dealer to pick up gloves.

they turned out to be mittens on left, right has one finger, thumb and mitten.

too restrictive for my uses. give it back to sthil dealer and my $$ back.
using kelvlar gloves instead.

Thanks for the info!

After looking at pics and thinking about how long I've been lucky enough to not get hurt I broke down and ordered a set of Elvex chaps...been wearing head protection,boots and gloves..now I'll have my legs covered too

Thats good to hear...now we wont have to worry about your member name going from TooTall to Leaner.:hmm3grin2orange:

After looking at pics and thinking about how long I've been lucky enough to not get hurt I broke down and ordered a set of Elvex chaps...been wearing head protection,boots and gloves..now I'll have my legs covered too

Whereabouts in MN are you? The arrowhead or the other side? I am way up in the NW corner.

Back