Do you guys run Hi Test?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does AV fuel still have lead in it?IIRC AV fuel had 2 octanes,does it still and if so what do you use.
DON

I run the highest octane I can find and mix it with klotz super tecniplate at 32:1 to take care of any alcohol in it and keep the bugs away.

:dizzy:ohh jeeeeze, here we go again:jawdrop:
for stock saws you need to run at least 120 octail super leaded with a little octain boost or the saw will blow up, also, ANY alcohol will instantly destroy your saw and will even dull your chain...:cheers:

At work, I run regular pump gas of dubious quality because I have no choice. I have seen some bad damage to saws (none of mine, thank you very much!) running the same gas. I am trying very hard to get approval to run 89 + but am finding that the gov't would rather repair/replace expensive equipment than maintain it properly. Evidently there's less paperwork that way. Color me frustrated.

the money you save with regular will buy you 3 new saws in the time that it takes to wear the first one out....

If you have mucho $ and are hell bent on running the airplane gas,

make it worth the while & up the comp to about 220 lbs. . .

Wish I could find Shell premium without ethanol around here in Johnson City, but luckily there a few local independents that have 93 octane without the ethanol. I burn it in everything from the lawnmower to the 4-wheeler, including the saws, with Stihl HP.

A quarter mile from my house is a BP gas station. They have a sign up that their fuels contain no ethanol, so this is where i buy my fuel. If y'all have BP in your area then check them out.

Even if your BP doesn't have ehtanol free gas, if you live in an area where all gas has ethanol, BP is pretty decent gas to buy. Their detergents are pretty good, and I find their product to be pretty consistent. BP and Shell are what I like to buy. Mobil is on the next tier. Getty/Gulf/no name rounds out the bottom.

Nah, but there is a local air strip real close to here, but sometimes we run 93 too. Just depends on when we need the gas. Thinkin bout mixin AV and 93

My summer long experiment is over. Last year I ran 100 octane unleaded at 40:1 in my weed whip and hand held blower. This year I ran 93 octane at 40:1. All summer long I had issues with plugs fouling out, bogging, and hard starting. I had to keep adjusting the carb. I also had to clean the plug off once with a torch. I just switched back over to 100 octane unleaded at 40:1 a few weeks ago, all the issues are gone!. Even with the temps in the 50's here, it starts so much easier. There is no bogging, idle is nice and smooth, less smoke, no more adjusting the carb every week. This goes to show how crappy the pump gas has become. I truly believe the amount of ethanol in the gas is all over the map.

When you burn 5 gallons a day per saw like I do high test is too expensive.

ya i run the highest pump gas until i run out then its cheep gas... Probably not great to switch but work has to get done regardless what gas is in the tank.

Latest posts

Back