Do you need a reason to buy a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just asking because I already have a PS-5100s and a PS-7900. Just wandered into a store the other day and found a NIB 372XP w/24"b&c for $525.

The price looks good but if I cut some larger stuff the 7900 can handle it without issue so it realy is harder to justify a less powerfull saw that weighs the same. But I sure do want it, and the price seems right.

I don't cut a lot of trees, but the ones I do drop tend to be 18"-30" dbh oaks and elms mostly. I do cleanup duty at a gun club I belong to, there are about 200 acres of mature trees where we are trying to keep Dutch Elm and Oak Wilt in check. That is where most of the use for large saws come from. Would the 372 work good for that? Or even better yet, how log do you run your saws before they need to cool off?

Yep

Q: Do you need a reason to buy a new saw?

A: Yep. Usually the reason is because I want it.

Joat

No, not really, just make something up in you're head and stick to you're guns!!!

But honestly, in this case, I think you have the better saw (the 7900) and the new one would be a dissapointment.

Absotootly, the reason you need a new saw is

You found this sight with a bunch of beer swilling, insane, egotistical, power crazy, saw crazy, (Did I miss anything) Idots. Now you are addicted to saw craving disease, for which there is no 12 step program, detox, or anything else. Just surrender and go by the dang saw. :dizzy:

You found this sight with a bunch of beer swilling, insane, egotistical, power crazy, saw crazy, (Did I miss anything) Idots. Now you are addicted to saw craving disease, for which there is no 12 step program, detox, or anything else. Just surrender and go by the dang saw. :dizzy:

you are soooooooo wrong. AS IS the program, and it's a great place to buy saws from others slightly ahead of you in the program.:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Apparantly I am a self proclaimed know-it-all that has nothing constructive to contribute to the forum...

With that being said, I will need you to send me a request form in triplicate prior to any such saw purchase is made.:help:

j/k...:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

No need for a reason to buy another saw, but you may want to have a reason for the particular saw you buy.

If you want a 372 for giggles, then go for it. If you want it to do something that your 7900 can't, then you're wasting your time. Why not grab another 7900 instead?

Need reasons

1) Money is the root of all evil I am trying to be a good person.

2) Until you have a V-8 you need a bigger saw.

3) We are counting on wood heat to save money so we need backups to make sure we save the money.

4) Its a classic saw.

5) Its a vintage saw.

6) If I have two of the same one can be a parts saw.

7) Improvements in anti vibe and ergonomics will be better for my health.

8) I deserve a nice pro model saw.

9) I deserve a bigger nice pro model saw.

10) I need a milling saw.

11)Need a different brand so I am not a biased jerk on this forum.

You seem to have kind of blown it. You have two saws that cover the majority of cutting needs. The best plans to acquire saws is to start out with a small low end saw so you have to by a bigger low end saw so you need to upgrade to pro saw then to a bigger pro saw etc etc.

Back