Do you think I can buff this out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only James the narcoleptic tree cutter could bring levity to a situation such as this...

[video=youtube_share;7oCDcTxFUkk]http://youtu.be/7oCDcTxFUkk[/video]

I heard of an owner of a tree service that was wanting to get an insurance claim on one of his trucks. He dropped 3 different trees in the direction of this truck and missed with all three trees, LOL. Then there are situations like this where you move it out of the way and score a direct hit, LOL, classic Murphy's Law right there.

Will their insurance pay for it, or were they working for you, as in your workers?

Sam

Murphy's law - I was thinking the same thing today!

The guys are friends of mine and they were there helping me clear the lot so we could start excavation next week on a new house. That is the part that makes it even more difficult - when it's your friends. The guy who used the saw to cut the tree has liability insurance but I'm not sure what is or is not covered since he was not technically "working". I'm not sure if homeowner's covers this? - I've only seen this happen on youtube videos :)

If insurance covers it, I'm sure it won't be enough to replace the truck

-Greg

Homeowner's insurance will not cover vehicles, yours or anyone elses, especially from a tree. His liability would/should cover it, but you would have to make like you were paying him and it was a "job".

Sam

Murphy's law - I was thinking the same thing today!

The guys are friends of mine and they were there helping me clear the lot so we could start excavation next week on a new house. That is the part that makes it even more difficult - when it's your friends. The guy who used the saw to cut the tree has liability insurance but I'm not sure what is or is not covered since he was not technically "working". I'm not sure if homeowner's covers this? - I've only seen this happen on youtube videos :)

If insurance covers it, I'm sure it won't be enough to replace the truck

-Greg

I wouldn't put in a claim on that. Your rates will suffer for a long time.

Sorry about your recent spate of bad luck, just sucks..

OK, like Guido said, look west (or south) you can still find rust free or close to it old vehicles.

You can still pull a ton of useful parts off that wreck, save them for another similar ride, or sell them piece by piece to offset the cost of your next one.

That hits close to home for me for some reason. Burnett County is my playground when I go to Wisconsin, and I own a '70 chevy pickup (albeit not as nice as that one). I believe I will go to bed sad tonight :(.

I've had good luck with this...

41r6kiqWARL_SL500_AA300_1.jpg

Sorry for your loss
I have a yard full of that era trucks,i would rebuild it,if it was mine.Easy trucks to work on.Yours looks nice and clean,no rust,make it easyer to take apart.The cabs from 67-72 will all work,mabey get the frame straightened,a few other parts.Paint and your back where you started.
One of my trucks is a 72 grand sierra 3/4 ton with all options and the 8'6" extra long bed,i bought it off the original owner who had it in New Mexico all its life.
If you don't fix it,advertise it someone else may use it as a doner or restore it,just don't scrap it.
Tough day:msp_sad:
Thomas

I only cut trees down that have a built in compass. That was a very nice truck too. being in the firetruck business it rings a special note for me. You should have given it a proper ending and tossed a match on the fuel rupture.
Truck cleaned up, lot cleared and a fire to keep you warm while you cry in your beer.
My condolences, seriously!:cry:

sorry for your loss,that was a very nice old Chevy,kinda makes me sick when stuff like that happens,i couldn't imagine,it would have bothered me less if it would have been a brand new one,i have always been fond of those old Chevy pickups,at least you can purchase every part new for those trucks these days but never as good as original,best of luck to you

Man that sucks. Brings back memories when my dad did the same thing to his 72 Chevy. His wasnt that nice though. He beat the roof back up with his maul enough to be able to halfass shut the door and kept cuttin. Luckily parts for your truck is fairly plentiful and easy to fix. I just sold a great cab for a 70. You could have done this a couple weeks sooner lol.

Fix that truck Greg. It's far too nice to give up on.

Very sorry to be reading this........

My dad had a really nice 71 chevy 4x4....if I dropped a tree on that truck Im pretty sure he would just kill me right then and there.....drove it one day,he told me if I wrecked it just to UPS him the rims and tires and keep on running

It was called two guys trying to over direct a tree. Then the guy with the saw cut through part of the hinge causing the tree to go to the side.

One of the workers had just moved my truck out of the way of the intended direction of the tree about 5 minutes before this happened. I learned a valuable lesson today.....NEVER keep any truck or equipment within any direction of a tree you are falling!!!

Thank god nobody was hurt.

It's a goner....it's more than just the cab. The entire body is shifted to the driver side. The suspension and front axle are bent, the fuel tank ruptured dumping the entire tank onto the ground, the steering shaft was bent....and that is just what I could see in a few minutes.

For the fuel tank to rupture, that truck had to be pinned to the ground!

I have an 85 Dodge 1ton that I was just backing up to grab another pile of wood. Just a quick move so I kept the door open! Well when you're looking backwards and turning you don't keep track of where the truck is in relation to the trees. I caught the edge of the door on a nub of a small tree. I was able to do some rigging and pull the door back in place for it to be usable....but it not like it was!

I never move my truck with the door open in the woods any more!

88766d1233603366-truck-door-oops-001rs-jpg

Last edited:
For the fuel tank to rupture, that truck had to be pinned to the ground!

I have an 85 Dodge 1ton that I was just backing up to grab another pile of wood. Just a quick move so I kept the door open! Well when you're looking backwards and turning you don't keep track of where the truck is in relation to the trees. I caught the edge of the door on a nub of a small tree. I was able to do some rigging and pull the door back in place for it to be usable....but it not like it was!

I never move my truck with the door open in the woods any more!

That truck has the fuel tank behind the seat.

I had forgotten about that once when one was on fire and I got inside the camper top trying the unhook it so we could at least save it. The side windows blew out and I remembered where the tank was.......the camper top burn up with the truck as I watched from a safe distance. :laugh:

Back