Does anyone else use a Lickety Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runs like a champ

So between fri night and sat morn I did my drain down of all fluids cleaned the carb and extracted a very industrious mouse nest. Had to weld up the linkage to the gressen valve but when I finished she fires up and works great. Speed wise this thing would give any hydraulic splitter a run for it's money. Cylinder isn't blown but does need o-rings. Everything on it works good on it and this things got balls! I was attempting to adjust the linkages for the "second stage" that someone had all screwy(hi speed only) and took a 14" round of red oak
And turned it sideways so I could load the machine down when it kicked into it's load stage it cut the damn thing in half! Now that's a splitter!

Not the best pic, but this here's how I roll.------------------------ Anyway, what you see here is a highly modified EK308 Lickity that I cut to hell and glued back together with spare parts to make a generic MK348/26MK34. Difference is no retractable axle, but, as you can see, with my Bobcat MT52 and branch manager grapple, I really dont need it to lay down. and no, its not an illusion, the splitter is not floating, its sitting in a custom made table cuz I dont like picking things up twice, and I dont like bending over anymore than I have to. I hope to put more and better pics of this up soon. I just put a Honda on the other one I have so...

Last edited:
thinking of buying a 30 ton lickity splitter tomorrow
4 1/2 in ram with large tires with an old Tecumseh motor
had a new pump recently, ram leaks.

we'll see what happens, could be bringing it home ...

does anyone know what model this is?

lickity.JPG

lickity.JPG
complete garbage, run away unless you gettin a hundo or less deal. super eco model they made on there way out

are you did sure this is an econo model?

this has a 4 1/2in ram which figures out to 30 tons
seems the econo model would have a smaller ram like 15 ton.
pic's of original brochures are too small to read to get original spec's from. no markings anywhere...

the original owner paid $5000 for this model

he wants $600 which would be way too high for an econo model. but ok for the 36 or 26 series.

------------
complete garbage, run away unless you gettin a hundo or less deal. super eco model they made on there way out

pic's of original brochures are too small to read to get original spec's from. no markings anywhere...

he wants $600 which would be way too high for an econo model. but ok for the 36 or 26 series.

It has a port on the end of the cylinder like a normal cylinder would. The good ones dont have that because they have spring retraction. Cant tell you what model it is, but its prolly the same speed as a ytd yard machine model.

good eyes.... turns out it's not a lickity splitter at all.
now he claims it's an old Speeco splitter.

anyways... passed

sure wouldn't mind finding an old model 26 or 36 series Lickity splitter. keeping my eyes open...

It has a port on the end of the cylinder like a normal cylinder would. The good ones dont have that because they have spring retraction. Cant tell you what model it is, but its prolly the same speed as a ytd yard machine model.

26mk34 a-f, later renamed mk348. The 528? is the same thing but with a longer frame. Take a look at the lickity log splitter firewood operation thread started by Treeslayer to see pics of mine. The one in the table is modified.

Hi, I just bought a lickity and have a few questions.Low speed system is inop right now,gotta pull apart the small cylinder and have a peek. Works ok when switched manually.However, when operating in high speed the ram will only run out to the wood and push it to the wedge, it does not apply any real force. When switched to low it'll split anything I give it.Is the high speed system just used to run the ram out to the piece or should it split as well?Also,someone repainted this thing and there are no tags left. On the brace at the rear of the splitting cylinder it is stamped 1961Could this be the year of manufacture? I could try to post some pics if helpful. I would really like to get this beast back in proper working order.Thanks.

Did you get that thing working? I can send you a detailed description of how a two speed Lickity Log Splitter works. I have the two speed and it works very well. In the fast speed, the pump delivers oil to less area inside the ram resulting in a faster stroke with less power. When resisitance builds and pressure increases inside of the ram, the shifting mechanism is actuated to shift another Gresen valve and now oil is being pumped into both areas of the ram which slows the ram but increases the power. This shifter has a spring that is acting to return the shifter back to it's normal position, so if resistance drops it will shift back to speed the ram travel. Happens a lot during splitting - fast to slow and then fast again. Love this thing. My father bought one brand new in 1971 (his is a single speed and newer than the one I have). His single speed is still in operation and I would not be able to guess how much wood that thing has split in the last 40 years. DO NOT confuse these things with lickety splitters. They are Lickity Log Splitters. I acquired my two speed when a relative was buying and selling lawn mowers, splitters, etc. I told him if he ever found a Lickity Log Splitter, call me. He found one and I was able to bring it to life with minimal investment. Good Luck!

Yeah, I got it working properly, had to replace the pump...., super 3 helped me out with one. Also had to shim the play out of the shifting cylinder to get it to work correctly, thanks to super3 for the advice on that. I got the throttle cable hooked up so it idles until you throw the lever to send the piston out. I however have not used it to split more than a dozen rounds since it's at my dads house and he's been using it.I can tell by talking to him on the phone that he is in love with it.I also recieved an owners manual for it from super3 so I think I'm in good shape.Thanks for checking in. If anyone needs replacement O-rings for the splitting cylinder inner and outer let me know as I have a few leftover as I had to buy a minimum amount and have extras.

here's my last one, i've been thru 2 of them,they are good machines.
my back started to bother me,so i decided if i was gonna stay in the wood business i'd better go get a cord king.that was in '85...still at it !

:rock:

compact model

I am curious if anyone else has a compact model. Its has a light blue beam and hydraulic tank and the rest is red I believe the model number is 25abs25? I have been looking online for a week or 2 now and can find only tidbits of information on it. I picked up this thing about 2 weeks ago for pretty cheap and it runs and is all original, figured it was an upgrade to a maul. I enjoy refurbishing antique stuff so i took the thing apart welded the old handle back on it (it was pulling off through the tank) and stripped all of the paint off of it.

long story short I think this thing is cool and i was going to upgrade the original briggs and straten 5hp put a new pump on it and upgrade the cylinder but I am curious if i would be devaluing it by doing so. In really good shape all original is it worth something and if so what?

Also how can i tell the age of it?

I have seen people ask 2k for an original large model. It was in good shape, had been used a lot. It had a cast motor on it. It was on CL for a long time. I called him but thought the price was way high I would pay 500 - 750 if I had some spare cash and really wanted it. I am not sure your upgrades are a great idea as the cylinder design is what speeds those things up. My .02,

thanks

I appreciate the .02 on it. Im really hoping on finding out something on the compact model. It seems no one has one or is using one anymore. I just find it odd with the internet these days the lack of information on this particular model. And yes before someone starts saying this was around before the internet I am aware of that.

Hello all i to am an owner of a lickity log splitter and have often wondered why if every one loves this splitter as i do and they dont build them any more why doesnt someone start building there own line off the origional basic idea and just change it a bit to get around the patent laws etc etc (prolly sell like hot cakes):msp_confused:

Hello all i to am an owner of a lickity log splitter and have often wondered why if every one loves this splitter as i do and they dont build them any more why doesnt someone start building there own line off the origional basic idea and just change it a bit to get around the patent laws etc etc (prolly sell like hot cakes):msp_confused:

I believe any patent has long since expired. I don't know why no one is building them or something similar other than cost and demand factors. Mine is slow. Always has been. I will have to time the cycle to see just how slow. I bet there are better splitters at lower cost.

Latest posts

Back