Does it pay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does it pay to sell firewood? Ive been trying to figure this out. I've been cutting about two cords a day on my off days (tues and thurs) I am still a fulltime student. I was thinking about doing it full time this summer instead of my usual job working for a well drilling co. Im pretty sure i have enough dead siberian elm to cut all summer, full time. Here in Western NE there isnt a lot of wood other than old tree rows that are dying out, and they are just full of siberian elm. Most people around here burn it, even though it isnt that desireable. I love cutting wood, Im just wondering if it would work. Do people who use a lot of wood buy wood, or do they cut it themselves. What do you guys think?

Work out a spreadsheet cost benefit analysis including your career and financial needs. Work out the net revenue over the short summer ( most firewood is sold in the fall ).
Ask some of the firewood producers here: if you're doing it as a business, you need serious capital investment in equipment, insurance, cost of goods sold, etc..... Professional producers sell 100's or cords a year. Worry about the supply of raw material: S. Elm can be tough to work, unlimited supply ?. Competitors. Customers.
Here's the soft side: you enjoy it, it bulks you up ( play sports ? ), it is a needed service.
Will the summer job contribute to your career ?
More that you can easily figure out. Nice idea, why not ?

Some people buy wood because they either do not have or know of a place to cut wood. Others are actually smart enough to know they are no business operating a chainsaw, but they like wood heat.

I think others have "professional" jobs (i.e.; lawyers, doctors, and the like), and think cutting firewood is "beneath them".

As far as selling it, if that is what you want to do, GO FOR IT !! Give it a try.

I helped my dad sell firewood from 8-16 years of age. Just my opinion of it though is, I personally would starve to death if I had to sell firewood, because I would be charging an exuberant amount for my time, services, and labor... mostly labor.

That is my opinion though. I enjoy cutting firewood, but I would charge alot more than most people do around here.

I have sold firewood in the past.
1st: You are selling a service only. The wood itself has no value.
2nd: Figure what wood on average sells for in your area. Then estimate how time you think it will take to gather and split that wood. Hard thing to figure is how to sell the wood. ex. By the truck load (th rowed in or stacked), by the lb., or by the cord. Keep in mind very very few people selling wood who claim to be selling a cord are actually selling a cord. Most not even close. That is the hardest thing to figure out.
About the best way I've seen it done if its a one man operation is to split and throw it in a loose pile and just keep building the pile all summer long. The wood inside will stay new looking and not root. When selling season comes around sell it by the loose truck load not stacked in. That way you limit your handling time as they com to get it and a truck load is very subjective . People will always be looking for a way to say they got ripped. If they come with a truck and throw it in and pay you there on the spot then they can't come back saying there is something they didn't like about the deal.

The only people making a decent buck in FW is the processors. They can saw and split a cord in about 15-20 mins. I figure it was 4 man hrs to split a cord. That didn't include time to bring the wood to my lot or the time to haul it out to a sale.

I was making not quite 5 bucks an hour and that was busting my rumpus at that.

2nd: Figure what wood on average sells for in your area. Then estimate how time you think it will take to gather and split that wood. Hard thing to figure is how to sell the wood. ex. By the truck load (th rowed in or stacked), by the lb., or by the cord. Keep in mind very very few people selling wood who claim to be selling a cord are actually selling a cord. Most not even close. That is the hardest thing to figure out.
About the best way I've seen it done if its a one man operation is to split and throw it in a loose pile and just keep building the pile all summer long. The wood inside will stay new looking and not root. When selling season comes around sell it by the loose truck load not stacked in. That way you limit your handling time as they com to get it and a truck load is very subjective . People will always be looking for a way to say they got ripped. If they come with a truck and throw it in and pay you there on the spot then they can't come back saying there is something they didn't like about the deal.

The only people making a decent buck in FW is the processors. They can saw and split a cord in about 15-20 mins. I figure it was 4 man hrs to split a cord. That didn't include time to bring the wood to my lot or the time to haul it out to a sale.

With your pto splitter?

Better look at your local laws too. In Maine it's illegal too sell firewood by any measure but a cord 4x4x8. You'd need a processor to make any money at and even then you're not gonna get rich. We only sell it by tree length as a sideline 3 cord min. :cheers:

Do not sell wood by the pound! to me, that is the stupidiest thing I have ever heard of. All one would have to do is keep his wood pile soaked down with water to add more weight. Then again, if someone buys it by the pound....well, I guess he had what was coming to him after he gets it home and it dries out. I personally know if someone offered to sell me wood by the pound, I would laugh in his face. I mean, I would not do the above to someone, but how would I know someone would not try that with me.

Just my opinion on that though:D

wood

dos it pay?? yes here on LI NY its 300 pr cord now i have on tree job come up their will be 1000 cords come off job do the math tom trees:popcorn:

Just a little insight for you, as to how I did it.

You can get by low buck if you buy the right things. A good saw and a decent log slitter will get you going for a couple of seasons to find out if it's for you.

The type of wood you are cutting, there is no profit in it cutting it down unless you are getting paid to cut it down as well. Sorry, thats a cold hard fact!! You have to sell mixed wood cheap, and that is you're bread and butter!!

Get some land, you're folks a buddies folks whatever it takes, then get with the local tree services. Ashplunhd has been great for us! They have a hard time getting rid of the logs, so if you offer them a place to dump for free, they will ussually jump all over it!!!
Yes, there will be a bunch of crap, but you have nothing invested in it, so if it's junk use it for burn piles in the winter time when you are selling it to keep warm!
Now you aren't scavaging for wood, it's in a convienian location and you can work on it at you're leisure.
Not really knowing what you have for tree's there this is iffy at best, but we try and mix 1/3rd of it with hardwood. That way it'snot all pine or cottonwood, and the customer is happy with the wood and will want more.
If you want to get into selling hardwoods, there is money in it, but it's a LOT more work, and I can't say it's worth it!
So now you have some land, lots of wood thats fairly easy to get to, two guys can cut split and stack a lot in a short time and you are getting a lot ready for the season. Now you need customers.
Easy, flyers work GREAT!!!! You can hire a tageting company to send mailers to selected neighborhoods for you, go for the rity type areas, they are used to gettin ripped off so you offer a good product for a fair price, they wil be happy as can be and will ell their friends!!!
Still want to sell more wood? Start targeting apartment complexes with fireplaces! Laugh all you want, but these are the people that buy wood at Quik Trip a Dillons fo stupid pices!!!! Talk to the manager and set up a time to si in the parking lot and GIVE (yes I said it) away small bundles, aout the size at the stores or smaller, to the residents. Give them a flyer or better a magnet and hit the next one a week latter.
Get with one of the state lakes deparments and set up to be the source of sales for wood for them, thats a lucriive market!!!
It's just a matter of how much you want to put into it. I've had years I couldn't cut wood fast enough!!! I've had winters where I had wood ready and it sat there until the next season. But wood was VERY good to me, especially in a time when I needed it!!! I made more than enough money one winter to care for my family, buy some saws and have some left over.

just So everybody knows a true cord is 4x4x8 or 2x4x16. A face cord could vary. The ones I sell are 16"-18"x4x8 it takes about three of these to make a true cord. I get 90 - 100 bucks for a face cord delivered.So thats 270 - 300 a cord. Its all good solid red oak. If its half rotten which probably burn just as good I will probably sell it for a better price.
Yea I agree The service is more valuable than the wood is
I just look at it as good cash money.
I work a full time job and trying to sell firewood really takes up alot of time.
I have cut back from what I did a couple of years ago.

How i figured out how to measure your "volume" of firewood. I piled a few face cord and then filled the dump trailer till it was full, then i had an idea how much wood I had. you alway throw extra in.
Talk to the customer...they are all different,i have a guy who wants large chunks because he has an opan fireplace. I have an old Italian widow who is getting her wood ready for next year already.
There is no set price for me... it depands on the situation and the person.
I do it as a side from the Tree business so i don't take it to seriously.
My advice is...If you have a good supply of wood and the ambition Do It.
You will find out what works for you, now get your #ss outside and start splittin!:lifter:

Do not sell wood by the pound! to me, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. All one would have to do is keep his wood pile soaked down with water to add more weight. Then again, if someone buys it by the pound....well, I guess he had what was coming to him after he gets it home and it dries out. I personally know if someone offered to sell me wood by the pound, I would laugh in his face. I mean, I would not do the above to someone, but how would I know someone would not try that with me.
In Ohio, at least in my area, all the big outfits sell it just that way. By the pound! I agree somewhat with what you say however it depends on the lbs and the price. I know 2 people personally who buy from a place that sells by the pound and it really is the cheapest wood around comparing volume. The problem with the wood is its usually not split down very far. And I have heard rumors about places watering their wood at night. I'm sure that doesn't happen to often though.
With your pto splitter?
During the time I was selling wood I was using a 26ton Speeco. It was real slow and that was what got me to build a faster unit. However it was 2yrs later when it was finally put in service and by that time I quit selling and just split for myself.

My neighbor sold this year and he was giving the deal of the century. $100.00 for a real cord of nice ash split down nicely. What a bargain and of course he sold out quick. It was worth twice that IMO.

A tiny ad in your local newspaper and a weekly post on craigslist.com will sell everything that is dry (seasoned).
Selling it is easy and most of my customers pick it up.
Just remember to lock up your saws, splitter, gas cans, and keep the thieves out of you wood pile! Master make a cable lock, I have several and use them!

Does it pay to sell firewood? Ive been trying to figure this out. I've been cutting about two cords a day on my off days (tues and thurs) I am still a fulltime student. I was thinking about doing it full time this summer instead of my usual job working for a well drilling co. Im pretty sure i have enough dead siberian elm to cut all summer, full time. Here in Western NE there isnt a lot of wood other than old tree rows that are dying out, and they are just full of siberian elm. Most people around here burn it, even though it isnt that desireable. I love cutting wood, Im just wondering if it would work. Do people who use a lot of wood buy wood, or do they cut it themselves. What do you guys think?
Thats all i have here....dead elm. This is my second year for selling firewood. This is a small community but i've sold about 23 cords (69 face cords or pickup loads) so far this year. I tell them the wood is free, you're just paying me for my labor. I put adds in the paper and flyers in the stores.

Last edited:
It depends on the area of the country whether money can be made with fire wood. Here in the south where there is a high RPSM ratio (rednecks per square mile) and an abundance of timber, too many good ol' boys - like me- are more than willing to cut their own.

In urban areas people are more willing to pay. It's all supply and demand.

Last edited:
If you were to get a regular job for the summer what would be your earnings expectation for the whole summer? Figure what the minimum number is and then figure out how many cords you will have to sell to make atleast that amount of money plus overhead on the firewood operation. If you don't need to have the immediate paycheck in your pocket and can wait to sell all of the cords, then if the numbers work out I would say go for it.

Have to remember that you'll be extending your summer job through the winter with either delivery of firewood or loading when a customer picks up.

Back