Does octane matter that much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great informative post.
My uncle worked in the MTBE plant for Exon. He made 60 and cancer took over his body. From what I heard a lot of guys that worked in that plant suffered the same.
I have a friend who’s father worked in the same plant but doesn’t seem to have been effected. He must be in his late 70’s by now.
Working in refining exposes one to lots of things that cause cancer. Especially in decades past.
In many respects MTBE was a much better oxygenated than ethanol. It's also still widely used in race fuel. The problem with it was it had a very strong taste so once in the groundwater it was very apparent. In typical EPA fashion instead of going after leaky storage tanks they went after MTBE.

I have runs the same saws on normal and then high octane fuel with little difference. A high octane fuel will burn cleaner and if running higher amounts of oil in fuel it might also help to keep the plug clean as well. If and when you are chasing that last 1-5% extra HP and your chainsaw is under extreme loads and RPM , then it might make a difference.
But in saying all that if you run the wrong or incorect oil to fuel ratio it won't matter what fuel you are runnning the saw will most likely fail.

Cheers

Justin
The difference between pump gas regular and premium is inconsequential.

holy ****. this thread took off. :laugh:

I used the saw this weekend, and it was giving me issues. I turned up the idle about a quarter turn. Ran....better, but still acting odd. I'll have to yank the carb and give it a go through.

I still run 100LL in my two strokes as stored in metal cans in cool conditions it lasts YEARS, mixed or unmixed. And won't eat my fuel system parts or leave snot in the carb. Yup, too much octane but best bang for the buck. If I'm using LOTS of fuel I use 93 corn free to avoid the lead.

I still run 100LL in my 1968 Camaro too. But that is 12:1 comp.

So this definitely turned into an octane thread LOL. Love the fact that we are all here for a common interest, but come from such varying backgrounds and careers that will know the molecular structure of gas for instance.

So this definitely turned into an octane thread LOL. Love the fact that we are all here for a common interest, but come from such varying backgrounds and careers that will know the molecular structure of gas for instance.
The power of Mr Google combined with enforced lockdowns- with time on your hands you can become an overnight expert in most any field, see a subject and run it down with keyboard vengeance.

Anyone remember the Dewey Decimal system? If you wanted specialized knowledge, you had to WORK for it.

Probably more BS floating around too. Someone starts spouting off and sounding smart, no one is searching through a building that covers acres, to find the one book with the info that will prove JimmyBob wrong and win an argument. Finding the book was just the start, then you actually have to start reading, there's no search bar. JimmyBob usually got his say.

Now, it's nothing to google the whole library say nope, that's BS.

Anyone remember the Dewey Decimal system? If you wanted specialized knowledge, you had to WORK for it.

Probably more BS floating around too. Someone starts spouting off and sounding smart, no one is searching through a building that covers acres, to find the one book with the info that will prove JimmyBob wrong and win an argument. Finding the book was just the start, then you actually have to start reading, there's no search bar. JimmyBob usually got his say.

I don't feel like googling it.
I will just take your word for it.

From the ECHO website:
ECHO does not recommend using regular unleaded (87 octane) as it may not contain enough of the detergent additives that are needed in a 2-stroke engine to keep varnish, gum, and tar deposits from forming which can shorten engine life. It may also cause detonation inside the combustion chamber which will result in severe internal engine damage.

tenor.gif

We used to have an experiment in the Instrumental Analysis course, where students identified and quantified the components of motor fuels using GC/MS.

I remember using Beilstein to search the chemical literature, then digging out dusty old journals and translating from, German, French, and Italian.

Back