Does octane matter that much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest joke of all is Wikipedia. Any fool can post drivel there and internet keyboard jockeys take as fact.
Wait, wikipedia isnt factual!!!! Lmao
I dont think I have ever even looked on these stupid websites. Except google....but their results are all true [emoji23]

Husky 450. Never had an issue. Always ran great. Started on the second pull. This weekend clearing trees, fired up the saw and went fine. Gassed up and continued. Was fine for a bit, then it became hard to start. I had to keep yanking the cord to get it to go. And then after a revving it, if I let go, it'd want to die. Pulled the cover off last night, looked around, seemed fine. Blew out the air filter, the top piece covering the carb, spray carb cleaner into it, and threw it back together. Ran a little better? But still needed the cord yanked a dozen times.

Driving to work this morning I got to thinking, when I gassed the saw up over this weekend, my old gov't approved mixed fuel jug was empty. I switched to another jug, mixed it, but it was 87. The other stuff was 93. All I've ever run in my saw was 93 mixed. Would the 87 play a roll in the hard starts?
My dealer put it this way: these saws run quite hot and if you look in the gas tank after running it you can see the gasoline boiling. That means the volatiles from the fuel is evaporating off. The higher the octane rating the more you retain. I use the highest available which is 91, oxygenated fuel.

My dealer put it this way: these saws run quite hot and if you look in the gas tank after running it you can see the gasoline boiling. That means the volatiles from the fuel is evaporating off. The higher the octane rating the more you retain. I use the highest available which is 91, oxygenated fuel.
Dealers is clueless.

White gas or camp fuel is clear and pure ,I mean water clear.
Its 50 octane and could be run in a chainsaw probably one of the highest quality fuels for cheap out there, yet I never hear of anyone running it?
Maybe even mixing it with some regular gas?

Well the absurdity train left the station a few Pages into this one, so just back tracking into the unknown for good measure!
Honestly I have heard of fellows using it in their saws before though and know that even zippo lighter fuild (a synthetic version) is a very good mower fuel from project farms video on fuels .

Well cars like the model-T and such had 6:1 compression and ford flat heads had 7:1 because of the low octane of the day . It wasn't until the 60s when they introduced lead and got better at refining that compression numbers went up.
100 octane leaded avgas was used during ww2 and was in use prior to that. Provided a huge advantage for us over the Germans.
Tetraethyl Lead anti knock properties were discovered in 1921 and was put in use immediately.

thinking compression would need to get bumped up substantially to fully burn white gas/ camp fuel like a diesel using compression ignition
In a two cycle white gas will lead to all sorts of issues. It won't vaporize well in the crankcase meaning alot of it will run right through the engine without combusting. Octane of course is very low so knocking will be an issue, fuel consumption would go through the roof, amongst other things.

Latest posts

Back