Does Stihl=Ford and Husky=Chevy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt. I owned fords for years, my grandpa swore by them. Took me a long time to buy a chevy. I used to cuss a ford because every damn one used 2 or 3 different u joints in a drive shaft. my 87 chevy needed u joints couple weeks ago, and I just had to ask the parts guy 3 times "are you sure the u joints are all the same size?" He smiled and said, you been runnin fords, huh? I love my Chevy, and by the way, I run Stihls. Nothin against Husky, but I run Stihls.

DRIVE a FORD truck.....see more fords than chevys still on the road workin.Own a old ford truck its a "workhorse".own an old chevy its a"Antique"..
hmm
see more New Chevy Trucks on the road than fords.....
hmm....

oh njust for chits n giggles....

id prefer to be drivin a ridgeline but hey just another treeman.......

Oh n I run STIHL because every husky i ever ran Blew up.........

since chevy is better than ford i guess husky is the ticket.

i prefer toyota though.i have never seen more old fords than chevy's on the road and i have lived all over.chevy has more power and better MPG as well.

I have a Volvo wagon and a Chevrolet truck. I have 2 stihl saws, and a Partner 500.
My mom has an 026 Stihl and she drives a Saturn Vue and a Chevy truck.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive a Ford or a Dodge. I'd rock the Husky saw too.

I ride KTM dirtbikes. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a Husky motorcycle.

Ahh, no running pickup....

"Darling" daughter messed it up but it wasn't much, a Ford Ranger. (any one need some Ranger parts?) Had Chevy and Dodge in the past. Have a Range Rover and a Jag to drive now (older but not classic ones), and 67 Galaxie and then there is a Jensen and a Triumph to restore. Oh and 73? POS Suburban. Saws, 1 Homelite, two Echos and three Stihls. But we have two Husky trimmers...I think 235s. Good units whatever they are.

Chowdozer- I have had three of my kids with me in my 82 Chevy. I put in extra seat belts. One day we got pulled over by a cop who thought he had bagged me for have too many people and he was a bit suprised. Have had the same experience with fixing and working on mine and friends trucks. There have been many "What the #&%$" moments when working ontheir Fords. Maybe the point that less and less people work on their vehicles anymore comes into play.

I will say that what you see on the road is also regional. Down where I am right now in Mass. there are more Ford trucks, but back home in Maine there is the opposite ratio.

I'll have to look back at the posts and see how the theory did, minus the minivans and chickwagons and oleo macs

I have to disagree,,,,,,

Why I otta.........:buttkick:

I am a chevy guy but I have had good fords in the past. I just like how easy it is to work on chevys. Not to mention that I think proclaiming one brand is better than another is retarded. Everything is built with the same cheap a$$ quality nowadays. 99% of so called problems are mental. If you think one brand is better than the other then you are gonna tend to ignore that bad aspects of said brand and focus more on bad aspects of another when in all actuality everything in junk nowadays.

Actually due the improved Quality & engineering of todays vehicles,, they seem to last quite a bit longer,,,, my truck has over 100K mi. and I can remember the vehicles of the past that if you got 100K mi. out of one before needing a rebuild it was rare............. JMHO:givebeer:

yes...

The H&K was kinda high dollar, but to me very much worth it. The quality is so evident, but it is not as nice as my SIG P229. It is hard to beat a Taurus bang for a buck........did I just say that?:jester:

I have a mental block against Fords (first car was a '73 T-bird 429 and first truck was a '73 F-100 352?) <shudder> thanks for the bad memories!

Had great luck with a 'free' 83 Chev C-10 pickup, 250 six, 4 speed manual, free rust holes too. I drove that thing for awhile, all it ever needed was UJs and a clutch... that + the rust was why it was free. It was me or the crusher.

Seems like I got my 'first' saw while I had the Chevy... a little Husky 41 as a birthday gift. Had to do a bit of upkeep on it recently, but it runs fine.

A few years later, I traded the Chevy + a little cash for a 89 Jeep Comanche 4x4 pickup. I was 'skeptical' since Dad had a 1st-year 'little' Cherokee and it was a huge POS. But the 87+ 4.0L I-6 (like the 258 it evolved from) is a rock-solid motor, and it served me well. I bought my 029 about that time too... but never had any need to use it. We weren't burning wood, and anything needing sawed, I just grabbed the trusty lil' 41.

That Comanche got me into Jeeping as a way to have fun staying poor. It led to another Comanche project, and three other 4.0l XJ Cherokees that I've abused in the woods. Since my spare parts inventory is pretty big, I am gonna stick with them for now...

Jeeps were getting a little boring, so I've adopted saws as a 'hobby'. We plan to get the chimney re-lined and another wood stove/insert, so we'll be using them more. Since finding AS on the web, got a new MS 361, and just yesterday 'adopted' an older 371xp from Amick's. And I haven't yet figured out why.

LMAO that reminds me! On the way back from the saw store last night, I eyeballed a mid-80s Chevy silverado-trim dually with a rollback body for sale. Since all our vehicles are old/used/hi-mile, :confused: I suppose an old/used/hi-mile rollback is a natural fit! "HoneyBee! Look What I Found!" (I guarantee she'd never notice the 371 then) "But HoneyBee, the seats match your hair!!!" (red seats LOL) Dammit Man! it's just a couple miles up the road too, I'd better take a closer look in the daylight. :censored: Be hard to sleep if I don't.

The H&K was kinda high dollar, but to me very much worth it. The quality is so evident, but it is not as nice as my SIG P229. It is hard to beat a Taurus bang for a buck........did I just say that?:jester:

So how did we get on guns....For what it's worth,I prefer Remington rifles and Browning Shotguns...I only own two handguns...A Smith model 629 44 mag,and a SIGP220 45 Auto.......The wife has a Glock model 22,a model 19 a model 21 and a SIG P220...And also a lady smith for conceiled carry....she drives a chevy blazer,and she prefers using one of my 440 stihl's when she helps out.

Actually due the improved Quality & engineering of todays vehicles,, they seem to last quite a bit longer,,,, my truck has over 100K mi. and I can remember the vehicles of the past that if you got 100K mi. out of one before needing a rebuild it was rare............. JMHO:givebeer:

So then why does the old 1979 ford truck my dad used to have have over 200k on it with the only major component ever being replaced was the rear axle when the truck only had 10k on it? It still has the original clutch for god sake. And it didn't lead a life of pleasure. Dad had a 89 chevy and it always had something wrong with it.

I bought a 83 blazer that has sat for 6 years. Put a battery in it and started it. 6 YEAR OLD GAS AND IT STARTED ON IT!!!!! It also had 180k on it before the motor clunked.

I duno what my point is. I suppose I will give you that the drive trains last longer in new vehicles but the body sure doesn't. Neither will all the electrical junk on them.

LOL, is it because the Chevrolets/GMC's have a "C" designation for two wheel drive and a "K" designation for four wheel drive whereas all Ford pickups are F series?

If you're a Ford guy, I have a question for you.

Why does Ford use 5 lug, 6 lug, 7 lug and 8 lug wheels on their pickups? I've been curious about this for a couple months.

Chowdozer,typically 150,250,350 and light and heavy duty variations of all.Generally,a higher number of wheel studs also means you have stronger/larger axles,hubs,brakes diff's etc.Half ton trucks today are little more than an SUV chassis with a box.Light duty,r&p steering,light front end parts and softly sprung.The half ton work truck is gone no matter what brand you buy.Too many city types want a bad a$$ looking 4wd truck but want it to ride and handle nice-and there it is.If you want a real truck you have to move up to a 3/4 ton nowadays as a rule.As for the old vs new argument,I happen to like the old ones for a variety of reasons but on the other hand,fuel injection has been a godsend.People take for granted nowadays you hit your remote start and it goes-It wouldn't in the carb days or if it did it would flood,run like crap until it warmed up-or after it warmed up-or too fast-or too slow.I well remember standing in a snowbank f&^$%# with one of the things just to get it started enough to get it in the bay-by then the choke was warm so you had to pack it with snow to cool it off to try to set it-choke tension,choke pull,fast idle,idle,vac,choke heater(electric,coolant pipe,or tube from intake manifold)plus the a/f settings of the carb it self assuming it was right internally which it usually wasn't.Good riddance-sometimes the good old days were only better in ones memory.

We regularly change plugs,wires,fuel filters etc on vehicles with 100,000km(60,000 mi)All this used to be a yearly ritual.Starters,alternators etc don't fail anywhere near the rate they used to either.

One of the "complaints" about ford is the very fact that they use so many different set ups, so many different engines etc. Whatever, I can't afford a new truck anyway.

I like the old trucks because one can work on them, although the flip side is that you have to work on them. The service book for my wife's van (chevy 3500) does not call for even the sparkplugs to be changed until 75 or 100 thousand miles. Sheesh! I just did the pads,rotors,calipers,bearings, races and seals on my 83 and is running great now. Of course I found that the lower ball joint is loosening on the driver side Arrrrg. Oh well, still cheaper than a payment.

All winter I have been doing the two foot shuffle -gas and brake-with the carb until the thing warms up. Hey, doesn't this build character? To bad I can't swap in the carb on my 254xp because that thing starts right up and runs in any weather.

FWIW Winchester shotguns and Winchester Levers, Glocks and Sigs and plenty of C&Rs

One of the "complaints" about ford is the very fact that they use so many different set ups, so many different engines etc. Whatever, I can't afford a new truck anyway.

I like the old trucks because one can work on them, although the flip side is that you have to work on them. The service book for my wife's van (chevy 3500) does not call for even the sparkplugs to be changed until 75 or 100 thousand miles. Sheesh! I just did the pads,rotors,calipers,bearings, races and seals on my 83 and is running great now. Of course I found that the lower ball joint is loosening on the driver side Arrrrg. Oh well, still cheaper than a payment.

All winter I have been doing the two foot shuffle -gas and brake-with the carb until the thing warms up. Hey, doesn't this build character? To bad I can't swap in the carb on my 254xp because that thing starts right up and runs in any weather.

FWIW Winchester shotguns and Winchester Levers, Glocks and Sigs and plenty of C&Rs

So you drive an 83..... Ford or Chevy???? to go with 254XP and the theme of this thread We Know the wife drives a Chevy????

Subbie und Glock und Stihl und.....

Read: Subaru, Glock (26), Stihls, Husqvarna 9mm, 136 tree saw,.....

Latest posts

Back