Does Stihl=Ford and Husky=Chevy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are good motors but I relay have yet to see any 1/3 hp and up that are junk. I do know of problem that certain baldor motors are prone to but that wouldn't stop me from buying one.

My cabinet saw is a Grizzly, but eventually will get upgraded to something with a true riving knife. Its motor (230v 1PH 3HP TEFC cap-start) is of unknown origin, probably even to Grizzly itself. It's not a bad motor, mind you, but I don't expect to get ten years out of it. And if you've ever heard it shudder to a stop when the start windings re-engage, you'd know why I don't expect longevity!

My cabinet saw is a Grizzly, but eventually will get upgraded to something with a true riving knife. Its motor (230v 1PH 3HP TEFC cap-start) is of unknown origin, probably even to Grizzly itself. It's not a bad motor, mind you, but I don't expect to get ten years out of it. And if you've ever heard it shudder to a stop when the start windings re-engage, you'd know why I don't expect longevity!

That is true. But if the operator would ease up on the thing........:D

Well, it's close. That's what makes it a combination square. Sort of the carpenter's equivalent of a scrench.

I used the combo square all the time in the machine shop, just never heard it called a c-square. I used the center head a lot for laying out lines and such, and the protractor head too.

Well,I have a Ford truck(no,not because of my last name)and a Jonsered.Although,I also have a Husaberg motorcycle,Husqvarna .270 rifle,Mossberg 12 ga.As for vehicle brand loyalty,I'm an auto mechanic and hate them all:censored:
Now that I think about it though,my seven year old daughter has one of those little plastic Stihl chainsaws and rides a Barbie bicycle.Maybe theres something to that.Any of you Stihl guys run a similar setup?:hmm3grin2orange:

So, how do I measure up in the Ford/Chevy stack? I have a toyota matrix and a tacoma, family has 2 VW's, 3 hondas, 4 stihls, a big husky, and I used to have a RamCharger 4bbl that would climb a wall.

edit; 5 stihl and 2 huskies

Seriously though, in the motor debate, what do you guys think about Leeson motors?? I just replaced the 3/4HP crap motor on my (I know, homeowner, not a real woodworker tool) Ridgid bandsaw with a 1.5HP 1ph motor that I got for $60 on ebay. Seems pretty smooth, and cheap enough for me. I'm hoping to resaw some 8/4 lumber I milled this spring.

Seriously though, in the motor debate, what do you guys think about Leeson motors?? I just replaced the 3/4HP crap motor on my (I know, homeowner, not a real woodworker tool) Ridgid bandsaw with a 1.5HP 1ph motor that I got for $60 on ebay. Seems pretty smooth, and cheap enough for me. I'm hoping to resaw some 8/4 lumber I milled this spring.

Yes very good motor. I would almost venture to say that if it has a brand name on it that it is a good motor. There are exceptions to that and you will know it when you see it. Mostly cheapo air compressors have the junk type on them.

Well,I have a Ford truck(no,not because of my last name)and a Jonsered.Although,I also have a Husaberg motorcycle,Husqvarna .270 rifle,Mossberg 12 ga.As for vehicle brand loyalty,I'm an auto mechanic and hate them all:censored:
Now that I think about it though,my seven year old daughter has one of those little plastic Stihl chainsaws and rides a Barbie bicycle.Maybe theres something to that.Any of you Stihl guys run a similar setup?:hmm3grin2orange:

Love my Barbie 'vette:laugh: :jester:

Got modded Stihls and a modded 7.3L 2000 F250 w/ 4" Magna Flow Exhaust, Afe intake, Edge Evolution programmer and an Alpine/ Polk Audio system with 2 MTX 10s under the back seat.

Ford F-Series...the Number 1 Selling Brand of Truck in the WORLD! Say it loud, say it PROUD!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, is it because the Chevrolets/GMC's have a "C" designation for two wheel drive and a "K" designation for four wheel drive whereas all Ford pickups are F series?

If you're a Ford guy, I have a question for you.

Why does Ford use 5 lug, 6 lug, 7 lug and 8 lug wheels on their pickups? I've been curious about this for a couple months.

Sorry, I HATE that model. They smell like catfish bait (dexron II leaks perfectly on the exhaust) and they look funny (too square). I do own 5 hood ornaments from that model. We used to drag race for em in high school, none of those 350's could touch my 390.:rock:

40 cubes difference, it would be embarrassing if it couldn't. :laugh:

Swing it 40 cubes the other way and compare it to a 427. :D

I have a 78 Chevy but no Dextron. SM465. I'm also 6'7" and 260 pounds with a 39" inseam. There aren't many pickups that fit me. I have found Ford standard cabs to be on the tight side. I rented a U-Haul once and my knees touching the steering wheel. Very frustrating. In my 78, I have had 4 across in the cab. Tight, but doable. It is the roomiest cab of any truck I have ever driven.

I drive a Chevy and run Stihl's. Stihl's seem to be more predominant here.

My first and second experiences with Ford trucks were disastrous. The horseshoer stopped by one day with an offer for my friend and I. About '77 or '78 I guess, we were 16 years old. He had a 1974 1 ton 2wd flatbed with a C6 and a 460. The 460 was tired and he had a 429 in the garage. The deal was, he'd shoe our horses for a year if we swapped engines. Now we had always worked on Chevy's at that point. All the (then current) V8 transmissions bolted up to all the V8's on a Chevy. Well, after 2 hours we figured out a 429 won't bolt up to the trans from a 460. That seemed ridiculous.

In high school, I helped a guy change the clutch on his 77 F250. When we went to Cascade Friction Materials to get a clutch, he asked us if it was a "narrow" frame or a "wide" frame. HUH? Well, midway through the 77 (I think) model year, Ford made a few changes but didn't document them well I guess. Anyway, when we figured out it was the wide frame, the Cascade guy said, "Oh, you need the GM clutch then".

I could be wrong on the years of the trucks. It's been awhile.
I won't ever own a Ford.

Back