Does Stihl have a spy on AS????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, I understand and agree about the chinezz stuff, you are correct.

But Steel is using a shotgun to deal with a few flys.

They are knocking out used parts along with repop items.

And like I said, It is not just one dealer, there are others being flagged.

Yes, it is all about the wording.

I cant see how they could pull that off with how the constitution limits them in this country. If for used and re-conditioned parts, once the item is initially sold they (should) have no control over what is done with it regarding passage of hands. They have no right, literally. Dont know if its like this in Germany, but....

II know a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless haha) bought a brand new 361 off someone on here and when he brought it in to have the warranty registered, the guy at the counter saw the 361 box and looked at it like it was stolen. He said no one except for stihl is allowed to sell brand new equipment. Supposedly every Stihl dealer is REQUIRED to put fuel in and run every motor that they sell. SO clearly there are some comforming and some not.

I would never modify my saw but why is it illegal to do so?

If you buy a ford or Chevy and modify it to make more power it is not illegal but why is a saw illegal to modify?

This is where the line get VERY blurred. Illegal, in many cases, actually Yes. Enforceable; only if there is a problem. That is where the line gets hazy shades of grey.

I cant see how they could pull that off with how the constitution limits them in this country. If for used and re-conditioned parts, once the item is initially sold they (should) have no control over what is done with it regarding passage of hands. They have no right, literally. Dont know if its like this in Germany, but....

II know a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless haha) bought a brand new 361 off someone on here and when he brought it in to have the warranty registered, the guy at the counter saw the 361 box and looked at it like it was stolen. He said no one except for stihl is allowed to sell brand new equipment. Supposedly every Stihl dealer is REQUIRED to put fuel in and run every motor that they sell. SO clearly there are some comforming and some not.

Thats a first on me. I don't think any saw I have bought new had ever been gassed up.

Thats a first on me. I don't think any saw I have bought new had ever been gassed up.

The inside of this box had not seen light since Germany...

attachment.php

yea our local stihl dealer told me that it couldnt have been brand new because every brand new saw is supposed to be gassed up and started by the dealership who sold it, after the sale, before letting customer leave with saw.
after inspecting it, there was no denying the thing was brand new, i had the original bill of sale and everything luckily, he was acting very suspicious , but he warrantied it anyway
although,he wrote on my warranty card "customer did not want us to start saw" and then took a blue sharpie marker and drew a little line on the bottom of my saw..the way he did it seemed like it was routine, did anyone else have the dealer mark the bottom of their saw with a marker after warrentying it, or am i marked as the ####### who wouldnt let them start it so now if i have a warretny problem they can screw me?

yea our local stihl dealer told me that it couldnt have been brand new because every brand new saw is supposed to be gassed up and started by the dealership who sold it, after the sale, before letting customer leave with saw.
after inspecting it, there was no denying the thing was brand new, i had the original bill of sale and everything luckily, he was acting very suspicious , but he warrantied it anyway
although,he wrote on my warranty card "customer did not want us to start saw" and then took a blue sharpie marker and drew a little line on the bottom of my saw..the way he did it seemed like it was routine, did anyone else have the dealer mark the bottom of their saw with a marker after warrentying it, or am i marked as the ####### who wouldnt let them start it so now if i have a warretny problem they can screw me?

When I bought my 260 (only one ever bought new from dealer), they never marked it or offered to fuel it up.

Dad said they did'nt at the dealer he bought my 066 at either. Thats been 15 years ago though but still...

I think the blue mark might have made you a marked man if warranty time ever rolls around banshee! :laugh: J/K, lets hope not eh?

The good news is stihl cannot stop anyone from doing whatever they want with their saw once they have it in their hands. I can understand why they don't want people to do so but the fact is people do. I look at it this way. Under the right circumstances I guarantee stihl would love to have their saws modified. Like all manufacturers of any product, they want theirs to perform the best. Yamaha, honda, kawasaki, ford, chevy, dodge, the list goes on(nascar). In pro series log shows for instance, I would be willing to bet stihl would not mind a professional modified representation of their product. But then again, maybe they would!

this is part of the body of an email i received this morning from Stihl. i think they are one to us!!!!

Thinking of Modifying Your Equipment?
Think Again!
While it may be tempting to tweak your chain saw to get more power, modifications like this for normal operations are dangerous, expensive, illegal and a deal-breaker for warranties. So before you attempt those modifications, here are some things to remember:
Power modifications often result in increased noise level,
which can be a violation to ANSI and OSHA standards.
The increased exhaust emissions can result in the
chain saw falling out of EPA and CARB requirements.
Alterations can create a fire hazard by changing the spark
arrestor system, allowing for the interaction of heated exhaust
gasses with highly combustible material.
Being caught with illegally modified equipment could
pose serious legal and financial risks.
Alterations to chain saws void manufacturer warranties
and decrease their longevity.
Trust the experts at STIHL to chain saw design. They
deliver a product that gives you the power you need while
meeting legal and safety requirements.
Click here to visit Your Local STIHL Dealer

Looks like Stihl is making it well known they don't like mods. Can't say I'd blame them for putting that out to cover their butts. Good thing all my saws are stock.:D

I have boxes for almost every new saw I've bought. They usually want to give me the box. Its not like Stihl dealers have some burning desire to have an overfull cardboard dumpster out back....

Having the box doesn't mean didly about the saw having been fueled. I could take that new saw and rinse the fuel and oil tanks out with acetone or xylene and leave them off to dry and make you think there had never been a drop in either.

what are we arguing about again? I'm sick and on cold meds and I forget why I started wrinting now

ok, I went back and read.

I fully believe there are dealers that would leave a saw in the box if they knew the customer well. Not a big deal but it would depend on the customer if it were me. There are rules and then there are rules. Our world is so full of meaningless rules that some of them don't get much thought of being bent. I think Stihl is just doing what they have to to make the government of the mighty USA happy.

I have boxes for almost every new saw I've bought. They usually want to give me the box. Its not like Stihl dealers have some burning desire to have an overfull cardboard dumpster out back....

Having the box doesn't mean didly about the saw having been fueled. I could take that new saw and rinse the fuel and oil tanks out with acetone or xylene and leave them off to dry and make you think there had never been a drop in either.

what are we arguing about again? I'm sick and on cold meds and I forget why I started wrinting now

The stihl police.

Latest posts

Back