Does Stihl still make a carbureted version of their MS362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
On their web site they list the DSRP of the MS362C-M ($869.99-$899.99) but says call for price on the regular MS362.

NYH1.

From what I have read here, most prefer carb saws. Some are constantly optimizing their saws even in the cut. They can tune a saw faster then the m-tronics, even anticipate changing conditions and tune ahead. Stihl must make carb saws for the loggers (pro and weekend) that dominate this and similar stes.

From what I have read here, most prefer carb saws. Some are constantly optimizing their saws even in the cut. They can tune a saw faster then the m-tronics, even anticipate changing conditions and tune ahead. Stihl must make carb saws for the loggers (pro and weekend) that dominate this and similar stes.
They might sample pretty fast, but they don’t adjust very fast, regardless of what you’ve been led to believe

They might sample pretty fast, but they don’t adjust very fast, regardless of what you’ve been led to believe

Exactly. Big saws, ported, race quality sharpened chains only take you so far. Keep the screwdriver in the adjustment slot and tune while cutting. If not working the screws, then there is no work being done, but are playing. It is the only way to make serious money out on the slopes harvesting those giant Sequoias. Second and sub-seconds count.... :yes:

Exactly. Big saws, ported, race quality sharpened chains only take you so far. Keep the screwdriver in the adjustment slot and tune while cutting. If not working the screws, then there is no work being done, but are playing. It is the only way to make serious money out on the slopes harvesting those giant Sequoias. Second and sub-seconds count.... :yes:
I have no clue about production slopes or any of that but my personal experiences with 362s all prior to Mtron three models on the V1 or V2 carb platform are excellent compared to the early Mtron versions.

Forget all the other changes the carbed saw has the edge ported or not but especially ported with zero carb mods. I still prefer that saw over my Mtronic ones for midrange power. Even with just a muffler mod it runs over the Mtron V1 with a 20 or 24" bar imo. That might not be equal to an Mtron three V2 model, idk. Never ran those but once or twice in stock form. They seemed tame to me but opened up some it might "tune in" better with a reset. Many told me the do. Will see how it goes when I run those saws with a bark box this fall or winter.

Mod the muffler and defeat the limiters and put them back is all most people actually do to them. Mine has a base gasket delete, port cleanup in the intake and exhaust but not widened, no machine work, single port muffler modded, the double layer early air filter style and an ignition timing advance. The transfer ports have zero work done. The piston is a junk Golf piston because this saw was bought burnt up and Stihl had none available at the time. Clearance had to made for the crank counter weights to the piston pin walls on the nine ton monster they had just released lol. It's still in there and has no issues at all. That is still the fastest 362 here not full blown ported with machine work. I sold the other two ported saws one Mtron version, one V1 chassis and they had more up top power but not much. They had a tiny bit more in the midrange. Then the 462 came out and no one wanted these any more.

I still use the thing as a work saw with a 20" eight pin or a 16"
Most times the 24" comes out with bigger saws although a ported 361 can still get the nod sometimes.

Latest posts

Back