Dolmar 421 crank seal, bearing removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you take a whole saw apart without doing a pressure and vac test to determine
if you actually had a leak, I sure hope not.

350/351/420/421/4300 are vertically split mag cased saws.....you have to split the case and the bearings come out towards the crankshaft counterweights. you can get the seals separate from the bearing but i personally think its a waste of time to pull the bearing out of the case, replace the seal, then reinstall a used bearing
@fordf150 can you get the crank seals and bearings for the EA4300 / Dolmar 421,
the OP can not get the seals and has bearings on backorder, what is the situation
with the above parts availability.

So, how does the seals and bearings look like? you got a picture?
I repaired an old Red for a neighbour and I had to modify standard seals to make them fit, the old 50cc accelerated and screamed like there was no tomorrow.

So, how does the seals and bearings look like? you got a picture?
I repaired an old Red for a neighbour and I had to modify standard seals to make them fit, the old 50cc accelerated and screamed like there was no tomorrow.

Attachments

• D26D974A-2F3A-4E23-9BF8-FC26E313653C.jpeg
    D26D974A-2F3A-4E23-9BF8-FC26E313653C.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
Can you pry that seal off the bearing? That we can see it from "the dark side of the moon" side? :D

We are trying to help you here...but you are constantly trying to make that task difficult for us.... ;)

The seals come with the bearings and they have been discontinued.
Who told you they have been discontinued?

Anyway, I recently got some parts for my EA3200 from this site, the parts was sendt directly from Germany.
The EA4300 crank ball bearing/seal is nr.68 at the parts diagram, seems pretty much available to me:
https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-ea4300f-outdoor-petrol-chainsaw-spare-parts-s18867/https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-ball-bearing-6201-p211494-6/

Anyway, I recently got some parts for my EA3200 from this site, the parts was sendt directly from Germany.
The EA4300 crank ball bearing/seal is nr.68 at the parts diagram, seems pretty much available to me:
https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-ea4300f-outdoor-petrol-chainsaw-spare-parts-s18867/https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-ball-bearing-6201-p211494-6/
This topic is being disc

After market bearings for Makita/Dolmar​

Jacks Small Engines said so. This topic is being is being covered at this thread

After market bearings for Makita/Dolmar​

I will post a pic on the thread I mentioned above when I return home after the holidays
He has already posted in your other thread. Sometimes spare parts can be found in Europe and other countries long after they are discontinued, NLA , on the American side of the big pond. Some sellers will ship across the ocean to this side while others will not, then there is the language differences that can cause confusion. I have bought parts from Germany on a few occasions, some went smooth while others were problematic. It may prove out that they can and will ship them , only contacting them will tell. I for one still believe they could be found on this side if some diligence searching was put to use.

He has already posted in your other thread. Sometimes spare parts can be found in Europe and other countries long after they are discontinued, NLA , on the American side of the big pond. Some sellers will ship across the ocean to this side while others will not, then there is the language differences that can cause confusion. I have bought parts from Germany on a few occasions, some went smooth while others were problematic. It may prove out that they can and will ship them , only contacting them will tell. I for one still believe they could be found on this side if some diligence searching was put to use.
Well this is a UK shop, as far as I recall they have the english language in United Kingdom - not too different from the American.
It don't seem to me they have a storage of parts, since I got my parts sendt directly from Germany (Makita/Dolmar).
They are probably just distributing parts directly from the vendor, something the name "partshopdirect" should indicate.
I emailed them
And they have a buy button for every part available, so if you know what you want I guess you don't have to talk to anyone at all.

Well this is a UK shop, as far as I recall they have the english language in United Kingdom - not too different from the American.
It don't seem to me they have a storage of parts, since I got my parts sendt directly from Germany (Makita/Dolmar).
They are probably just distributing parts directly from the vendor.

And they have a buy button for every part available, so if you know what you want I guess you don't have to talk to anyone at all.
Jack’s also had a buy button for the bearings, so I ordered other items with them only to find out they didn’t have them in stock. Thus, my decision to ask the UK business if they had them and if they shipped to the USA. Capiche?

Yes, I understand. You are a the son of an Italian mafiaboss yes :hi:
Joke aside, to ask is never a bad thing. Good luck with your project, I love my EA3200 better than chainsaws twice its cost.

They are probably just distributing parts directly from the vendor, something the name "partshopdirect" should indicate.

Any other advice tk?

“yes we can shop to the US. However, these are not stocked items. We can order them from Makita, but it would be a week delay as they are closed until next week
Kind Regards
Jordan”

Any other advice tk?

“yes we can shop to the US. However, these are not stocked items. We can order them from Makita, but it would be a week delay as they are closed until next week
Kind Regards
Jordan”
No other advice from me, I was a bit worried there that the Dolmar 421 was a different saw than what I was referring to.
I had a few bottles of old grape juice this christmas and it seems they may have fermented a little, I hope I didn't insult anyone.
But if you do get your parts, that's good news I would guess. Crank seals is what kills an old or much used saw, and if you replace them - you have a really good saw for yet another life time.

Should I replace the piston ring in the event I ever put this saw back together? I thought I ordered one but I didn’t.

Here’s a pic of the bearings and seals. As I’ve said before, bearings of this size are available but I haven’t located seals.

Attachments

• 1E659BA6-CDE6-4F80-9475-72CE8FD72730.jpeg
    1E659BA6-CDE6-4F80-9475-72CE8FD72730.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
When you did run the saw, what was the symptoms?
I'm asking because the saw should last about 50 years as it is, dont change whats perfectly run in as is.

In retrospect I’m wondering if I had a winter gas problem: the saw started and quit. I tested everything and discovered the seals leaked. I’ve been told that leaking seals shouldn’t have caused the problem but here I am with the saw torn apart. I have considered putting it back together with the old bearings and seals.

If the crank seals are worn out, the saw will run at full rpm if you rich the hi carb setting, but you will never get it to run at idle.
What happens is that the engine gets false air without gas because it is not coming through the carburetor. At full rpm it 's ok if you rich the blend enough but at idle its all too delicate to work like it should.
If the piston and rings looks alright thats like changing your experienced winning team for snot kid that won't do what you want.

Don't change anything that doesn't need to be changed.

Latest posts

Back