Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This gets funnier and funnier as it goes on.

A particular saw gets beat by another saw by a tenth of a second and the loser has to hang his head in shame as if he just lost the Super Bowl.

But what really cracks me up is that these comparisons are only between 2 EXAMPLES of each saw model. If a single 346 beats a single 5100, or vice versa, it's only a comparison between those specific saws. So, it's kind of ridiculous to speak in terms of "The ###" beats "The ###" as if it applys to 10,000 other saws.

I mean come on, what if you ran two of the same saw? Would you say something silly like "That 5100 will beat a 5100"?

Oh but Spike its a second or less were discussing here, thats life or death in the junkie world,LOLOLOL

Reminds me of the 2 groundhog hunters. One was using a .243 shooting at 3500 feet per second and the other was using a .220 Swift shooting at 4100 feet per second. They both shot a ground hog each. The guy with the .220 boasted well my bullet reached my hog sooner than yours. The other guy said yeah but my hog is just as dead as yours........

If they do chances are good they will walk away thinking man that Belgian and Thall are nuts over chainsaws,LOLOL

You dag on tootin there Master....I thought the same about you when you first started posting with that Prince thread...

The biased crews were all over you ; you crawled through a huge river of crap but you came out clean on the other side... wouldn't have missed that fun for the world, LOLOL :cheers:

Oh but Spike its a second or less were discussing here, thats life or death in the junkie world,LOLOLOL

Reminds me of the 2 groundhog hunters. One was using a .243 shooting at 3500 feet per second and the other was using a .220 Swift shooting at 4100 feet per second. They both shot a ground hog each. The guy with the .220 boasted well my bullet reached my hog sooner than yours. The other guy said yeah but my hog is just as dead as yours........

Your ole lady was telling me the other night, "you know mule, it may be true that Tommy has half as much length as you, but I'm just as knocked up!" :cheers:

You dag on tootin there Master....I thought the same about you when you first started posting with that Prince thread...

The biased crews were all over you ; you crawled through a huge river of crap but you came out clean on the other side... wouldn't have missed that fun for the world, LOLOL :cheers:

LOLOLOLOL, that was a goodie wasn't it, man I hadem coming at me hard but hey, thats how I earned my name,LOLOLOLOL

I don't think I'm as bad I used to be though, hell I'm getting old. The ruff and tumble lost its shine, I just like to chime in now and play nice with everyone, :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Your ole lady was telling me the other night, "you know mule, it may be true that Tommy has half as much length as you, but I'm just as knocked up!" :cheers:

Is that right, well hell. Space I'm a firm beleiver in sharing. Tag her a few more times before ya send her home. Maybe she'll quit fussing and start cooking again,hahahahahaha

This whole dolmar cylinder talk gots me thinking a lot lately...so I decided to get myself a saw without a cylinder...LOLOL.

this one burned a rather big hole in my wallet, but I wanted this piece of chainsaw history for a long time...:arg:

she's a runner (not perfect yet), and you'll notice the frond handle guard is missing a chunk...

KMS4fsmall.jpg

This whole dolmar cylinder talk gots me thinking a lot lately...so I decided to get myself a saw without a cylinder...LOLOL.

this one burned a rather big hole in my wallet, but I wanted this piece of chainsaw history for a long time...:arg:

she's a runner (not perfect yet), and you'll notice the frond handle guard is missing a chunk...

KMS4fsmall.jpg

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww nice, mymymymy, I want that, grrrrrrrrr

and you'll notice the frond handle guard is missing a chunk...

KMS4fsmall.jpg

Piece of junk Dolmars, just falling apart like that!.....I'd bet 50 out of 50 did that samething. :dizzy:

Should of bought an old Fihl or Musky. :givebeer:

Must be a hard thing...dealing "Husky, Jonsered, Dolmar, Red Max" knowing that any Echo/Stihl/Solo can beat any of those brands best saws of equal displacement on youtube! And I remember attending a GM conference about the "perception of quality". What wins on Sunday sells on Monday...true even with saws is what your telling me. Whats a dealer to do with all that informational static in the market place! I somehow think you can handle it.

Not sure how to interpret that post, since it is not very well written, but since the whole point of this thread is to argue, I accept.

My post was about how much humor I found in the "saw beats saw" stuff, so, it's really not a "hard thing", or something I can't handle. The people who can't handle it are those who cry foul when their preferred saw comes up short in a meaningless contest.

"Any Echo/Stihl/Solo" can indeed beat, or get beat by, any equal displacement saw of the brands I sell. My real point is that it is pointless. Most of the saws we talk about here are reasonably competetive in like displacements.

But as far as selling goes, what happens here on AS, on Youtube, or in your own confused mind, has very little to do with what sells out in the real world. Regardless of how much winning is done on Sunday; Echo, Solo, Red Max, or Dolmar are not going to sell on Monday or any other day of the week in anything that approaches a significant number. (that's why I no longer carry Dolmar). Husky and Stihl are the big dogs in this world, and that is not something that is likely to change.

I've been doing this a long time and I've seen this all before. Particularly with Dolmar. The idea that the 7900 is such a great saw that it will move the market is just a remake of an act that was played out 20 years ago. The 120si was a GREAT saw vs it's competition at the time, and if that didn't do it in a market that was far more open than it is now, you can stop dreaming about the 7900 making a difference today. Dolmar will remain where it has always been, great products, but out on the fringe of the market with little recognition. It's a shame, cause they make great stuff.

Solo, with copycat Dolmars at inflated prices, will continue to be a nobody going nowhere.

Echo, like Red Max, is focused on trimmers and backpacks, and will never dent the saw market although they have decent product. Red Max is now getting some re-labled Huskys, but who cares? Nobody is going to buy them. It's hard enough to sell the Jonsereds.

Ask a pro user who spends his time in the woods making his living while guys like you are making "cookie cartoons" on Youtube why he runs Husky or Stihl and you might learn a little bit about why those two brands are the only ones on the lead lap.

This thread has become quite the face slapping competition. To the point of deluded paranoia and mindless name calling.

Keepit up boys! :sucks:

Not sure how to interpret that post, since it is not very well written, but since the whole point of this thread is to argue, I accept.

My post was about how much humor I found in the "saw beats saw" stuff, so, it's really not a "hard thing", or something I can't handle. The people who can't handle it are those who cry foul when their preferred saw comes up short in a meaningless contest.

"Any Echo/Stihl/Solo" can indeed beat, or get beat by, any equal displacement saw of the brands I sell. My real point is that it is pointless. Most of the saws we talk about here are reasonably competetive in like displacements.

But as far as selling goes, what happens here on AS, on Youtube, or in your own confused mind, has very little to do with what sells out in the real world. Regardless of how much winning is done on Sunday; Echo, Solo, Red Max, or Dolmar are not going to sell on Monday or any other day of the week in anything that approaches a significant number. (that's why I no longer carry Dolmar). Husky and Stihl are the big dogs in this world, and that is not something that is likely to change.

I've been doing this a long time and I've seen this all before. Particularly with Dolmar. The idea that the 7900 is such a great saw that it will move the market is just a remake of an act that was played out 20 years ago. The 120si was a GREAT saw vs it's competition at the time, and if that didn't do it in a market that was far more open than it is now, you can stop dreaming about the 7900 making a difference today. Dolmar will remain where it has always been, great products, but out on the fringe of the market with little recognition. It's a shame, cause they make great stuff.

Solo, with copycat Dolmars at inflated prices, will continue to be a nobody going nowhere.

Echo, like Red Max, is focused on trimmers and backpacks, and will never dent the saw market although they have decent product. Red Max is now getting some re-labled Huskys, but who cares? Nobody is going to buy them. It's hard enough to sell the Jonsereds.

Ask a pro user who spends his time in the woods making his living while guys like you are making "cookie cartoons" on Youtube why he runs Husky or Stihl and you might learn a little bit about why those two brands are the only ones on the lead lap.

:agree2::clap::clap::clap:

:cheers:

(Except for the selling of Jonsereds, they sell themselves with devilish good looks)

Last edited:
This thread has become quite the face slapping competition. To the point of deluded paranoia and mindless name calling.

Keepit up boys! :sucks:

As long as it doesn't include you. Right Windy?

Big baby will put you on his ignore list, not really an exclusive club either.

That is one great line.:agree2:

Last year at the OH spring GTG we ran both saws side by side in the same block. My 5100 had a good chain and the 346 was wearing 95vp.

Here are the times.
andyshine 5100 6.81
woodheater 346 6.90

I talked to Terry when I thought my dealer replaced the top end of my 5100 without me authorizing it. Ten minutes after speaking with Terry my dealer called and apologetically said he mixed up the paperwork. That's the one and only time I spoke with him, and he did seem like a nice guy.

I'm sure you know, as you pointed it out - but for other readers, the 95VP doesn't give that saw justice at all, Oregon LP and Stihl RSC is much better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back