Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year at the OH spring GTG we ran both saws side by side in the same block. My 5100 had a good chain and the 346 was wearing 95vp.

Here are the times.
andyshine 5100 6.81
woodheater 346 6.90

I talked to Terry when I thought my dealer replaced the top end of my 5100 without me authorizing it. Ten minutes after speaking with Terry my dealer called and apologetically said he mixed up the paperwork. That's the one and only time I spoke with him, and he did seem like a nice guy.

Well cuse me,LOL

The sound gives that saw away. How many R's is that thing turning???

Im not sure there. some guy told me one time he had some kind of device that could tell with sound waves or something. He said 12 something in the wood. Who knows I just like the way she cuts.

Last year at the OH spring GTG we ran both saws side by side in the same block. My 5100 had a good chain and the 346 was wearing 95vp.

Here are the times.
andyshine 5100 6.81
woodheater 346 6.90

I talked to Terry when I thought my dealer replaced the top end of my 5100 without me authorizing it. Ten minutes after speaking with Terry my dealer called apologetically said he mixed up the paperwork. That's the one and only time I spoke with him, and he did seem like a nice guy.

Well look at that, those times prove me about right, less than a second between em. Out in the woods a man that moves the fastest will take either one of those saws and put a slower moving man to shame, out in the woods where it counts,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Nope .........Wouldnt spend that kinda money on my 2153 .....

900.00 + for my 2153 is too much ......Id buy a 361 and a case of Jack first ...:):)

OK fine. I'd just use the ones I have and buy a whole lot of Jack. Don't have much use for those small saws anyway.

Im not sure there. some guy told me one time he had some kind of device that could tell with sound waves or something. He said 12 something in the wood. Who knows I just like the way she cuts.

12 in the cut is cooking baby, that saw is running good...

Unless you are a dealer, and have direct contact with the distributors in question... Your opinion on the matter is rather meaningless.

Contact with the distributors isn't necessary when someone has claimed that nearly every Dolmar they've sold has had scored pistons and cylinders. That was claimed earlier and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to be sceptical about those numbers...

metals,
i don't want to come across the wrong way. i have no problem believing the bulk of the info in this thread. the only thing that really ran up the red flag with me was the '50 saws' thing.

I agree. Although this thread is now massive and I haven't got the time to read it all I'm pretty sure that he's still sticking to the earlier numbers regarding faulty saws...

i think in a round about way we might be agreeing on this. i could be wrong though.

please understand i am in no way trying to be confrontational about this. i stand by what i said before. i believe dolmar has some of each: bad batches, bad distributors, bad dealers, bad luck even.
"almost every" out of "about 50" would look fishy to me while discussing any product.
and yes, 36 of 100 or 50 of 200 is more believable.
:cheers:

I agree again. "almost every" out of "about 50" saws is quite obviously exaggerated. The only line I'd believe if there WERE that many faults was that there is a bad batch of local fuel, or his pre sale saw adjustments were bad - but then that wouldn't be a Dolmar problem, would it? I want proof that the failure rate was that high before I believe it. Even the worst Chinese made saws have nowhere near that level of failure...
I can understand that he's pissed off with distributors and their lack of assistance but that still doesn't explain earlier claims...

I'm not fussing with ya, just pointing out there is a differance between people using the internet to get information before they buy verses them reading a site like this before they make a decision. Most folks interested in looking for information on Stihl will go to the Stihl website, not here, same goes for Husky and Dolmar. If they come here what can they get from it? Look at this thread, a war is going on over the 5100. Some say its great, others say it fails too fast. A potenial buyer wanting information would read this thread and go man those guys are nuts, look at em arguing over a dayumm chainsaw, who's right, who's wrong, who's lying, who's telling the facts, who's telling the BS.

I agree with you 100% the internet is a great tool and does bennifit both the manufacture and the potenial buyers. Forumns such as this bennifit those that want to argu, fuss, fued and fight and even help each other with problems. It has little to offer anyone that wants to buy a saw because just like this thread most buyers aren't willing to read and sort out all the bias and BS in it just to buy a chainsaw.

Thall, I believe that the internet will gain increasing importance in the future for anyone who wants to buy a chainsaw.

This place made me buy a 361 over a 360 about 5 years ago, and I was not a sawbuff at that time... A lot of Bias like you said, but if you have some common sense, it will not take you more than an hour to find out which poster is credible and makes valid points. I say there's a wealth of info on this site for anyone who want to buy a new saw.

We are still part of a generation that grew up without the internet and have different ways of making a purchase. Old school but not bad, at all.

I see my kids and they google the internet like there's no tormorrow. They are the internet generation that will make use of it much more than we can imagine I guess.

There's also a theory in sales that talks about positive and negative references. One negative or unhappy reference creates a lot of noise and badmouthing, and as such equals at least 10 positive references. So it is of utmost importance for any manufacterer to keep the number of negative customers to a miniumum, at least if they have a valid complaint.

Now if you have an nice network set up to deal with customer complaints efficiently, that will pay in the long run (Stihl....).

But the point I was actually trying to make is, don't underestimate the power of the net. :cheers:

Last edited:

Here are the times.
andyshine 5100 6.81
woodheater 346 6.90

Hmmmmmm......Even a defective, prototype 5100 like Andy got beat the 346 in the cut.....I suspect a non-defective 5100 like mine and many others have would beat it by a 1/2 second or so, like Tommy's reporting. :) :givebeer:

This gets funnier and funnier as it goes on.

A particular saw gets beat by another saw by a tenth of a second and the loser has to hang his head in shame as if he just lost the Super Bowl.

But what really cracks me up is that these comparisons are only between 2 EXAMPLES of each saw model. If a single 346 beats a single 5100, or vice versa, it's only a comparison between those specific saws. So, it's kind of ridiculous to speak in terms of "The ###" beats "The ###" as if it applys to 10,000 other saws.

I mean come on, what if you ran two of the same saw? Would you say something silly like "That 5100 will beat a 5100"?

I mean come on, what if you ran two of the same saw? Would you say something silly like "That 5100 will beat a 5100"?

No .....One would be muffler modded other stock ......Or woods ported vs stock ....LOL.

Spike my 2153 stock was beat by a 2153 ported .......Hard to believe ..eh

Last edited:

A particular saw gets beat by another saw by a tenth of a second and the loser has to hang his head in shame as if he just lost the Super Bowl.

But what really cracks me up is that these comparisons are only between 2 EXAMPLES of each saw model. If a single 346 beats a single 5100, or vice versa, it's only a comparison between those specific saws. So, it's kind of ridiculous to speak in terms of "The ###" beats "The ###" as if it applys to 10,000 other saws.

Spike were you a scientist in a past life? LOL

Sample size, sample size, sample size. :cheers:

This gets funnier and funnier as it goes on......

.....I mean come on, what if you ran two of the same saw? Would you say something silly like "That 5100 will beat a 5100"?

Spike,
Unfortunately, here on the A.S., that would most likely happen.:jawdrop:

Must be a hard thing...dealing "Husky, Jonsered, Dolmar, Red Max" knowing that any Echo/Stihl/Solo can beat any of those brands best saws of equal displacement on youtube! And I remember attending a GM conference about the "perception of quality". What wins on Sunday sells on Monday...true even with saws is what your telling me. Whats a dealer to do with all that informational static in the market place! I somehow think you can handle it.

Last edited:
Thall, I believe that the internet will gain increasing importance in the future for anyone who wants to buy a chainsaw.

This place made me buy a 361 over a 360 about 5 years ago, and I was not a sawbuff at that time... A lot of Bias like you said, but if you have some common sense, it will not take you more than an hour to find out which poster is credible and makes valid points. I say there's a wealth of info on this site for anyone who want to buy a new saw.

We are still part of a generation that grew up without the internet and have different ways of making a purchase. Old school but not bad, at all.

I see my kids and they google the internet like there's no tormorrow. They are the internet generation that will make use of it much more than we can imagine I guess.

There's also a theory in sales that talks about positive and negative references. One negative or unhappy reference creates a lot of noise and badmouthing, and as such equals at least 10 positive references. So it is of utmost importance for any manufacterer to keep the number of negative customers to a miniumum, at least if they have a valid complaint.

Now if you have an nice network set up to deal with customer complaints efficiently, that will pay in the long run (Stihl....).

But the point I was actually trying to make is, don't underestimate the power of the net. :cheers:

I agree with you 100% Brother Belgian, I said the internet was indeed a great tool. What I don't think is a great tool is threads such as this. This thread offers very little for someone itching for good information on making a saw purchase. It does offer a awful lot of BS, which I provide wholehearty and in fun, and a ton of bias by those sticking up for they're brand of choice no matter what.

Topping that a survey was done by you know who concerning people and the web. They found the average time a person spends researching a website to help them make a buying decision is the whole lump average of 5 mere minutes. Tant no way threads like this can be asborb by most that aren't willing to spend more than 5 minutes. Oddly Stihl thinks those 5 minutes spent is great, they think those five minutes spent will generate millions in sales and they are right.

Course now us small time crowd, the junkies like you and me, will spend hours researching our choices, we're into chainsaws. Sadly for every person thats really into saws like you and me there is another 100,000 out there that could care less, they just want a tool to fullfill some need they have and nothing more. I just can't see that crowd sitting down and reading threads like this for hours on in when chainsaws aren't that big a deal to them in the first place. If they do chances are good they will walk away thinking man that Belgian and Thall are nuts over chainsaws,LOLOL

Latest posts

Back