Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically I found this forum and as a result this thread searching for reviews and information on the 5100 to make a decision on a new saw purchase.Of course at first I was glad I took the time to research after reading all the negativity surrounding this pos! Close to 100% failure rate(one dealer}
Hell,your lucky to drive it home from the dealer without scoring the cylinder.

The more I followed the back and forth I became skeptical of the trash talk as it seemed to be coming from the jealously of other brand loyalist or disgruntled ex employees.Anyway its been quiet entertaining.Now I want one worse than ever just to have a stake in this game,lol.
Replacing a Makita 520i that has served me well for ten years.If I'm wrong it won't be the first time.Ron

The 5100S is a very good saw, no doubt about that - the NE346xp just handles much better in the woods (also is a tad lighter), and is well worth the US price difference - imo. :cheers:

I have the collection now.

You got the whole collection, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so old friend ole buddy of mine whatcha say you put that set, THE WHOLE COLLECTION, in a box and send it to your ole buddy ole friend of yours here in Virginia, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm(begging my azz off here)

You got the whole collection, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so old friend ole buddy of mine whatcha say you put that set, THE WHOLE COLLECTION, in a box and send it to your ole buddy ole friend of yours here in Virginia, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm(begging my azz off here)

You want 1-3 also I know you watched those? My 4-6 is at my father place. As soon as he's done though. I will see what I can do.

You want 1-3 also I know you watched those? My 4-6 is at my father place. As soon as he's done though. I will see what I can do.

Awwwwwwwwwwww your a good FRIEND ole boy, don't care what the rest say about ya, your ok in my book. Send what ya can, I'm begging and I'm not chosey,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

This whole dolmar cylinder talk gots me thinking a lot lately...so I decided to get myself a saw without a cylinder...LOLOL.

this one burned a rather big hole in my wallet, but I wanted this piece of chainsaw history for a long time...:arg:

she's a runner (not perfect yet), and you'll notice the frond handle guard is missing a chunk...

KMS4fsmall.jpg

Looks like you got a clean KMS4! I'll email you some manuals on the saw here in a couple hours.

Steve

The one thing that I picked upon after reading all thirty pages of this thread is that regardless of all the brand posturing, regardless of whether or not fifty 5100 saws went down is that Dolmar has a consistency issue when it comes to distributors/dealers. In this down turn of economic times there will be market consolidation and only the strongest will profit and survive. I predict that although Dolmar may survive it will continue to lose market share, Stihl and Husky although not perfect have much, much better compliance with corporate policies. Stihl and Husky both seem to have great marketing departments and understand that you must spend money to keep brand awareness at the top.
Although Dolmar may be a fine product, they do not understand how to market to the US consumer, their limited distro will only get smaller and smaller during these tough times. How many dealers tech for husky and stihl that read AS will use what they have read here if a potential customer ask about the 5100 when compared to the 346 or 361, telling the potential customer that dolmar has had a huge issue with premature failure with 5100's and that dealer service warranty can be spotty, hell I probably would, in these tough times a sale is a sale, the follow on sales of chain, bar oil, two stroke mix, files etc is where the real money is made.

Just my prediction, dolmar will struggle along, being able to survive unless they get their stuff together, Javelin may be a great guy but here in SW Missouri, 9 out of 10 people on the street would go SACHS what, no name recognition at all, that is the bottom line issue, it's either Stihl or Husky for the loggers and cutters in my area, they can't afford to run 80 to 100 miles for parts that may or may not be there, they can go to one of several stihl or husky dealers and get the part.

MARKET CONSOLIDATION, it's going to happen. We'll see who the strong are, the rest will go by the wayside, I would keep this in mind when buying a saw.

Latest posts

Back