Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this gack back and forth about which saw is faster is amusing. I used to get caught up in all this but came to the realization that it is all moot. The difference is so small that it doesn't at all matter. If your happy with the saw and have a dealer like Thall's what is not to like???

Rich there's a huge mis-conception in the saw world concerning speed. There are those where a second is life and death, the small crowd, then there are the millions on top of millions who could care less. I myself have never gone to the woods to race someone, I've always gone to the woods to saw wood. I'm 100% positive I'm in the majority,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

All this gack back and forth about which saw is faster is amusing. I used to get caught up in all this but came to the realization that it is all moot. The difference is so small that it doesn't at all matter. If your happy with the saw and have a dealer like Thall's what is not to like???

Rich there's a huge mis-conception in the saw world concerning speed. There are those where a second is life and death, the small crowd, then there are the millions on top of millions who could care less. I myself have never gone to the woods to race someone, I've always gone to the woods to saw wood. I'm 100% positive I'm in the majority,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Pertaining to the highlighted portion............get a life!!!

Boy this thread has covered a bunch of stuff:clap:

Yes the 290 is decent for the price especially if you fall for the Hp rating on the saw! That saw reminds me of the old Pro Mac 605 heavy and they were all over the place!

Two of my Buds, that I cut wood with have the 029/290s and for a plastic saw they're not bad and have been reliable for them but with that said......THEY'RE NO 5100s......Even as much as they hate to admit it, they know it too! :givebeer:

Two of my Buds, that I cut wood with have the 029/290s and for a plastic saw they're not bad and have been reliable for them but with that said......THEY'RE NO 5100s......Even as much as they hate to admit it, they know it too! :givebeer:

Exactly.

While I don't have the 290, I do have the 310. With a muffler mod and 18" b/c just like I have my 5100 setup, the 310 is faster. They were both the same price, $395 5100 and $399 310. The 5100 is smoother and lighter but the 310 pulls ahead as soon as the wood hits 12". The 310 has the clear advantage when I've buried the bars in 20" elm. At that point, I'm pushing down on the saw more than holding up, so the weight is even less of an issue.

I'm very happy with both saws. Haven't need any service of the 310 and the chain adjuster that broke on the 5100, my dealer had the part the next afternoon. He even offered to take it off one of his display saws if I needed the saw back in service pronto.

While I don't have the 290, I do have the 310. With a muffler mod and 18" b/c just like I have my 5100 setup, the 310 is faster. They were both the same price, $395 5100 and $399 310. The 5100 is smoother and lighter but the 310 pulls ahead as soon as the wood hits 12". The 310 has the clear advantage when I've buried the bars in 20" elm. At that point, I'm pushing down on the saw more than holding up, so the weight is even less of an issue.

I'm very happy with both saws. Haven't need any service of the 310 and the chain adjuster that broke on the 5100, my dealer had the part the next afternoon. He even offered to take it off one of his display saws if I needed the saw back in service pronto.

The 310 pulls ahead because it is a bigger saw than the 5100, but you have to give the 5100 credit,they will lay right in there and cut with the big boys!!:givebeer::chainsaw:

I have both the 029 and the 5100 S. I like my 029, it has given me over ten years of reliable service but it is not even close my 5100 in the wood. That said, I will never give up my 029 till it dies. I know it's heavy for the power it puts out and the AV sucks, but I beat the crap out of it and it still runs great. I wanted something a little better so I bought the 5100 S and it's a big improvement. It cuts faster and vibrates much less but then again ten years ago my 029 was a big improvement over my Pro Mac 610. I think that Stihl designed a great saw for the average homeowner/firewood cutter like me but it is like everything else, newer and better designs will eventually replace it.

PS If Saw Troll thinks the 029 has a bad power to weight ratio, he should try my Pro Mac 610. I'm not sure what it weighs but it is a tank! :dizzy:

:givebeer:

The 310 pulls ahead because it is a bigger saw than the 5100, but you have to give the 5100 credit,they will lay right in there and cut with the big boys!!:givebeer::chainsaw:

That they will, for 50cc's the 5100 is a mean little saw, no question about it. I think cc for cc its the strongest 50cc out there though it only matters to a small group of buyers. Its a shame Dolmar, for whatever reason, decides to sell them so cheap. If I were Dolmar that 5100 would be priced right along with the 260Pro Stihl, around 519.00. The 7900 would be right at 889.95 just like the MS460 Stihl. I've never understood Dolmar's pricing structure at all. Why has Dolmar decided to sell for less when obviously they don't have to with the way their products perform? I don't understand it at all.

Its a shame Dolmar, for whatever reason, decides to sell them so cheap. If I were Dolmar that 5100 would be priced right along with the 260Pro Stihl, around 519.00. The 7900 would be right at 889.95 just like the MS460 Stihl. I've never understood Dolmar's pricing structure at all. Why has Dolmar decided to sell for less when obviously they don't have to with the way their products perform? I don't understand it at all.

:buttkick: :sucks:

:bang:........:givebeer:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr now ya telling me the appeal is in the price , not the performance, shames on ya, may Dolmar raise prices first thing in the morning,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

That they will, for 50cc's the 5100 is a mean little saw, no question about it. I think cc for cc its the strongest 50cc out there though it only matters to a small group of buyers. Its a shame Dolmar, for whatever reason, decides to sell them so cheap. If I were Dolmar that 5100 would be priced right along with the 260Pro Stihl, around 519.00. The 7900 would be right at 889.95 just like the MS460 Stihl. I've never understood Dolmar's pricing structure at all. Why has Dolmar decided to sell for less when obviously they don't have to with the way their products perform? I don't understand it at all.

That is how they are priced out here! Alot higher than I see guys getting them elsewhere!

:agree2: fastcast

Okkkkkkkkkkkk its two to nothing, price matters most, next,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Now you Dolmar fans know I'm beginning to expose why you guys really like those Dolmars and its not the performance everyone notes, shames on ya, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr now ya telling me the appeal is in the price , not the performance, shames on ya, may Dolmar raise prices first thing in the morning,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I'm trying to tell ya, I don't want to see 'em over inflated like them Stihls! :fart:

I'm trying to tell ya, I don't want to see 'em over inflated like them Stihls! :fart:

Stihl isn't over inflated at all, the sales prove that.

Now I'll give one last chance Fast, lets keep Dolmar up and running and help them grow the market by paying more for them so they can make a buck, your all for that aren't ya????

Back