Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Mornin' Tommie

Tommie,

Well, you had 'em in a tizzy last evening. Dolmar's are so good and Stihl's so expensive. Now, look to Cincinnati, find P&G and wander into their marketing department. it's called BRANDING. No, it's not what you do to your cattle. It's not what you do to your girlfriend. (Tommie, don't ever try to brand the inflatable Miss Demi)

Stihl is a brand. A brand that everyone knows and covets. Branding doesn't allow you to have exclusive sales, but proper branding will allow and support a leadership, price maker position. Now, some will always "buy on price" or "look for the deal". Search the threads and you'll see how ole Tommie deals with these folks. He can and will continue this practice, but a brand built on price, well, let's just say this is their target market.

I tell you a little TommieTale here. A man goes to see Tommie and buys a 290. He's happy. He's proud of it. He cuts with it. He wipes it down and keeps it clean. He shows it to his wife and kids. He leaves it sitting in the driveway for several hours after finished cutting so his neighbors will see that "he's a Stihl man". He buys the best. Nothing's too good for him and his family. He takes solice in the fact that his dealer has been on the corner for as long as he can remember, shiney store, parts galore, and a smile when you come through the door.

Now, his neighbor buys a Dolmar or Poulan. Great price. More balls than a Stihl at less money. He's happy ...... until Fred, his neighbor mentions that he got the same saw on sale for $20 less. Fred's probably streching the truth, but, remorse has visited our friend.

Yes, the TommieTale ot Two, and it's repeated thousands of times across the land every day.

Tommie, you gottem' by the Tale,

Joat

Tommie,

Well, you had 'em in a tizzy last evening. Dolmar's are so good and Stihl's so expensive. Now, look to Cincinnati, find P&G and wander into their marketing department. it's called BRANDING. No, it's not what you do to your cattle. It's not what you do to your girlfriend. (Tommie, don't ever try to brand the inflatable Miss Demi)

Stihl is a brand. A brand that everyone knows and covets. Branding doesn't allow you to have exclusive sales, but proper branding will allow and support a leadership, price maker position. Now, some will always "buy on price" or "look for the deal". Search the threads and you'll see how ole Tommie deals with these folks. He can and will continue this practice, but a brand built on price, well, let's just say this is their target market.

I tell you a little TommieTale here. A man goes to see Tommie and buys a 290. He's happy. He's proud of it. He cuts with it. He wipes it down and keeps it clean. He shows it to his wife and kids. He leaves it sitting in the driveway for several hours after finished cutting so his neighbors will see that "he's a Stihl man". He buys the best. Nothing's too good for him and his family. He takes solice in the fact that his dealer has been on the corner for as long as he can remember, shiney store, parts galore, and a smile when you come through the door.

Now, his neighbor buys a Dolmar or Poulan. Great price. More balls than a Stihl at less money. He's happy ...... until Fred, his neighbor mentions that he got the same saw on sale for $20 less. Fred's probably streching the truth, but, remorse has visited our friend.

Yes, the TommieTale ot Two, and it's repeated thousands of times across the land every day.

Joat

Wait a minute...you're lumping Dolmar with Poulan?:buttkick: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

Poulan used to make good saws, the 335 was a superior machine to the 290/029. It's marketing that sells the 290, weee pecker people see an ad with a hardcore logger type. The one I've seen is the guy in the Ben Davis shirt with a tin of chew on a island in Alaska. He's bragging on his 066.
Mr. TicTac heads to his Stihl dealer to buy an image, til he finds out it's to heavey and costs $1200. On the way to the door he spots the 290, like seeing women on the lake.....looks good from far but far from good. So he brings this rattletrap home and now he's a big tuff logger.... Stihl sold.

Poulan used to make good saws, the 335 was a superior machine to the 290/029. It's marketing that sells the 290, weee pecker people see an ad with a hardcore logger type. The one I've seen is the guy in the Ben Davis shirt with a tin of chew on a island in Alaska. He's bragging on his 066.
Mr. TicTac heads to his Stihl dealer to buy an image, til he finds out it's to heavey and costs $1200. On the way to the door he spots the 290, like seeing women on the lake.....looks good from far but far from good. So he brings this rattletrap home and now he's a big tuff logger.... Stihl sold.

But but........the 270 and 280 look fast even standing stihl......

race saws man

He leaves it sitting in the driveway for several hours after finished cutting so his neighbors will see that "he's a Stihl man".

Joat

Well, Joat you're right about one thing....Buying a name brand based on popularity-market leading sales and believing you'll really impress the neighbors, is why Stihl sells more saws.

The thinking man makes purchases based on a different criteria.

Microsoft Windows is the market leader and most popular, widely used OS in the world.....Does that make it the best?....Not hardly!!....Honestly it's a terrible OS but the masses don't know any better and buy what's popular, believing it must be best.

I'm not a low baller who only buys cheap....As a matter fact, I only buy Mac/Apple computers, PMP players (iPod/iPhone) because I feel they are a superior brand with superior OS & hardware......Yes, they cost more than PCs with Microsoft/Windows OS but I want what I believe is the best, not what the masses believe is best.....so price isn't everything!

This is the same reason I buy Dolmar.....I like them best.....They just happen to be less expensive than the market leader and I sure won't be complaining about that.

Apple is well recognized (although a niche) and can get away with higher prices, based on recognition. Dolmar is not well recognized and I don't believe could get away with it.....Solo is a perfect example of why I believe Tommy's idea for Dolmar will not work at this time. Lower prices than the market leader and better performance will with time get them the recognition they need but will take time. IMO, they need to focus all their attention on straightening out their dealer/distributor network and the rest will fall into place......JMHO :cheers:

Rep, for Marco!....LOL.....:cheers:

Ummmm

Well, Joat you're right about one thing....Buying a name brand based on popularity-market leading sales and believing you'll really impress the neighbors, is why Stihl sells more saws.

The thinking man makes purchases based on a different criteria.

Microsoft Windows is the market leader and most popular, widely used OS in the world.....Does that make it the best?....Not hardly!!....Honestly it's a terrible OS but the masses don't know any better and buy what's popular, believing it must be best.

I'm not a low baller who only buys cheap....As a matter fact, I only buy Mac/Apple computers, PMP players (iPod/iPhone) because I feel they are a superior brand with superior OS & hardware......Yes, they cost more than PCs with Microsoft/Windows OS but I want what I believe is the best, not what the masses believe is best.....so price isn't everything!

This is the same reason I buy Dolmar.....I like them best.....They just happen to be less expensive than the market leader and I sure won't be complaining about that.

Apple is well recognized (although a niche) and can get away with higher prices, based on recognition. Dolmar is not well recognized and I don't believe could get away with it.....Solo is a perfect example of why I believe Tommy's idea for Dolmar will not work at this time. Lower prices than the market leader and better performance will with time get them the recognition they need but will take time. IMO, they need to focus all their attention on straightening out their dealer/distributor network and the rest will fall into place......JMHO :cheers:

No dice with me.......I still have a Quadra here in a box somewhere......

joatman, you are just adding to the 290 and Stihl:

Conspiracy!

Since you are speaking for Tommy (Elvis) Hall, here is a rebuttal from the SawTroll perspective above the arctic circle:

I bet that Tommy Hall paid you to write that post! And he was in turn backed by Stihl, in an effort to undermind Dolmar and Husqvarna chainsaw sales! It is an obvious plot to mezmorize the AS readers into thinking that the 290 is actually a good saw, and worth the money for what is does and can do. And to convince all those anonymous readers that punch into Arboristsite, but never log in or become members of the sawing clan here. In reality, Stihl is just selling boat anchors to the unwiley of chainsaw customers and using smoke and mirrors (and posts like yours) to sell more chainsaws. That saw has terrible AV and has crappy power to weight ratio. Its all plastic, hard to rebuild, and why would anyone really want to buy a chainsaw like that, when they can buy something far far more reliable, ergonomic, and easy to use???

Oh yes, and I Stihl :heart: my (ex)290! :heart:

I believe you "improved" that text some - there are phrases there that I never would use.........:popcorn::popcorn:

Tommie,

Joat

would you mind elaborating on this particular portion of your tale?

No dice with me.......I still have a Quadra here in a box somewhere......

Alot has changed since the dinosaur days of the Quadra. :dizzy:

The Stock Market and analysts have surely noticed Apple's steady rise to the top. Where have ya been, living in the past obviously. :laugh:

marco,
i think you are on to something here.

my BIL still has that stihl ms390 i tried to swindle away from him. he went to the stihl dealer to buy 'the best'. the chuckle head came home with stihl's biggest(?) homeowner saw. he couldn't afford anything bigger, but he still got him a stihl.:dizzy:

Tommie,

Joat

Good one, you know me well. I was having abit of fun I must admit. To play in the big league you got to have a whole ball team. You won't see top performing players playing for less, only more. Dolmar has the performers but they are playing for less, a complete oppisite of how things are supposed to be. Why they choose to do that is baffling to me. If I was head of Dolmar my performers would fetch top dollar like everyone elses. Those that love the performance would pay for it. Those that claim they love the performance but aren't willing to pay for it can mosey on. Yes I'm such a bas-tard,LOL

You missed the point entirely

Alot has changed since the dinosaur days of the Quadra. :dizzy:

The Stock Market and analysts have surely noticed Apple's steady rise to the top. Where have ya been, living in the past obviously. :laugh:

I bought a Quadra when it first came out and was a user of System 7 for years prior.

Many dealers that were Dolmar last time around felt the same way after the saws were left abandoned when Sachs let it go.

I bought the Quadra because I was doing music at the time and then Apple decided to abandon the platform pretty much as soon as it came out.

Very few wrote applications for the platform because the maker themselves left it orphaned.

And I have news for you......a well crafted Linux system will run rings around your precious OS10.XXXXX

marco,
i think you are on to something here.

my BIL still has that stihl ms390 i tried to swindle away from him. he went to the stihl dealer to buy 'the best'. the chuckle head came home with stihl's biggest(?) homeowner saw. he couldn't afford anything bigger, but he still got him a stihl.:dizzy:

Yep, like hormonal little school girls.....I've got a boyfriend, I've got a boyfriend, I've got a boyfriend, I've got a boyfriend, I've got a boyfriend.

Stihlbillies......I've got a Stihl, I've got a Stihl, I've got a Stihl, I've got a Stihl, I've got a Stihl, I've got a Stihl, I've got a Stihl. :dizzy: :laugh:

Good one, you know me well. I was having abit of fun I must admit. To play in the big league you got to have a whole ball team. You won't see top performing players playing for less, only more. Dolmar has the performers but they are playing for less, a complete oppisite of how things are supposed to be. Why they choose to do that is baffling to me. If I was head of Dolmar my performers would fetch top dollar like everyone elses. Those that love the performance would pay for it. Those that claim they love the performance but aren't willing to pay for it can mosey on. Yes I'm such a bas-tard,LOL

if i could buy a car similar to a vette, that outperformed a vette for less money than a vette. i'd buy that car before the vette.:)

am i alone?
:popcorn:

I bought a Quadra when it first came out and was a user of System 7 for years prior.

Many dealers that were Dolmar last time around felt the same way after the saws were left abandoned when Sachs let it go.

I bought the Quadra because I was doing music at the time and then Apple decided to abandon the platform pretty much as soon as it came out.

Very few wrote applications for the platform because the maker themselves left it orphaned.

And I have news for you......a well crafted Linux system will run rings around your precious OS10.XXXXX

a buddy who owns a parts store runs linux. he tells me that he routinely runs without a reboot for weeks. how many windows users can say that.:):):)

Tommie,

Joat

would you mind elaborating on this particular portion of your tale?

VM,

Glad to elaborate. If you buy a brand, and you get the brand you seek, you're happy. If you buy on price, and find your price no longer appears to be "good", you're not happy or not as happy.

You see, it's what's important to you. If price is at the top of the "needs" when purchasing a chainsaw, victory is yours, while your price is good.

Let's say you go to BestBuy to buy a TV. What do they say to get you to commit? Yep, we have a "price match guarantee". In other words, you're protected from losing the price battle. Now, go to Tommie's Tabernacle of Tempting TVs where only high end gear is presented for your selection. Tommie's not going to lay a "price match guarantee" line on you during the close. Nope, he's going to emphasize the brand name, its reputation and quality.

Thanks for asking,

Joat

Last edited:
VM,

Glad to elaborate. If you buy a brand, and you get the brand you seek, you're happy. If you buy on price, and find your price no longer appears to be "good", you're not happy or not as happy.

You see, it's what's important to you. If price is at the top of the "needs" when purchasing a chainsaw, victory is yours, while your price is good.

Thanks for asking,

Joat

thank you joat.
i had completely missed your point before.
i agree completely.
though sometimes we are not dealing in absolutes. not everyone is 'mr. pricepoint', nor are they all 'stihlbilly wannabe lumberjacks' just looking to buy a name.
look at my sig line. when i can get a good deal i move up the saw 'food chain'. there are people who recognise quality and reputation and that are mindful of price.

Last edited:

Mac OSX has a Unix core and Linux is essentially an off shoot of Unix.

A Mac guru can do amazing things with a Mac, just like a Linux guy can. The difference is in the polished Mac GUI that allows beginners to use and enjoy them also.....A genius idea that Linux has apparently not bothered with.

All this gack back and forth about which saw is faster is amusing. I used to get caught up in all this but came to the realization that it is all moot. The difference is so small that it doesn't at all matter. If your happy with the saw and have a dealer like Thall's what is not to like???

Rich there's a huge mis-conception in the saw world concerning speed. There are those where a second is life and death, the small crowd, then there are the millions on top of millions who could care less. I myself have never gone to the woods to race someone, I've always gone to the woods to saw wood. I'm 100% positive I'm in the majority,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

:agree2:

:agree2:

I don't really care either, as long as it is a quality saw, and nice to handle and run.....:)

Most of the time spent making firewood is spent doing other things than sawing anyway, when you start with standing trees in the woods.

Latest posts

Back