dolmar 5100 eval

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Referring to stock saws, Of course a modification on any saw will increase performance. The bars on the 5100 and the 359 use the same mount thereby both bars are interchangable. If the stock 5100 has more horsepower than a stock 359 why would the slower saw be an advantage? The only advantage the 359 would have stock is that it is heavier thus making a longer bar having a better balance. (24" or longer bars) The 5100 being lighter with a longer bar will hurt the balance. We sell all our PS-5100S saws with a 18".

Advantage over the 346. LESS MONEY, MORE POWER and comes with a 3/8" Professional 72 Oregon Chisel Chain.

I placed an order today for a new 5100s, will pick up thursday the 7th.
it's $409.00 out the door, plus 4 chains from a awesome local dealer.
Does anyone know what accessorys comes with the 5100s?

I think I'm also going to pickup a second dolmar ms260c string trimmer then.
I bought one about a month ago, It is a serious work horse.

Uwharrie said:
Referring to stock saws, Of course a modification on any saw will increase performance. The bars on the 5100 and the 359 use the same mount thereby both bars are interchangable. If the stock 5100 has more horsepower than a stock 359 why would the slower saw be an advantage? The only advantage the 359 would have stock is that it is heavier thus making a longer bar having a better balance. (24" or longer bars) The 5100 being lighter with a longer bar will hurt the balance. We sell all our PS-5100S saws with a 18".

Doesn't matter what the specs say. I go by my runtime on both saws.

Hang a 20" bar on both and the torque difference is clear!

Save the hassle and own both!

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs, I agree with you that that 359 will have more torque. The thing is when do you need more torque? We sell all our 5100 with an 18" bar and most purchasers of the saw intend to use it to limb with as well as fell with. That's why I like the lighter weight saw. The 359 has a heavier crankshaft whereby the torque is increased. I would have to say it's up to the individual buyer as to what they are going to use the saw for. Anyway you look at it the PS-5100S has the most horsepower for the weight and PRICE.

Uwharrie said:
rahtreelimbs, I agree with you that that 359 will have more torque. The thing is when do you need more torque? We sell all our 5100 with an 18" bar and most purchasers of the saw intend to use it to limb with as well as fell with. That's why I like the lighter weight saw. The 359 has a heavier crankshaft whereby the torque is increased. I would have to say it's up to the individual buyer as to what they are going to use the saw for. Anyway you look at it the PS-5100S has the most horsepower for the weight and PRICE.

I agree!

I've had my 5100 since they first came out. It's much more balanced than the 346xp. I've sold my modded 346xp because the Dolmar is alot faster modded. I run Stihl .325 chain on an 18in. bar. If that can't handle the job I'll pull out my 372xp.

well i just picked up the 5100s when i was in florida on vaction, put some gas and oil in it today only ahd to do lifting on city contract, so nothing heavy yet i have been using 353, the 5100 is alot lighter and revs like a mad man. we well see what it works like hopefilly soon.

Lawmart
Play safe

Rahtreelimbs, i'm a new dolmar dealer, about 5 month's and offer 3/8's or .325 on the 5100, but think it's a better saw with .325, what do you run and why? on 2nd thought, anyone with a 5100, what chain do you prefer?

Last edited:
sugarbush said:
Rahtreelimbs, i'm a new dolmar dealer, about 5 month's and offer 3/8's or .325 on the 5100, but think it's a better saw with .325, what do you run and why?

Personally I run 3/8's on my 5100 only because that gives me more chain overlap amoungst my vast array of saws and also 3/8 is just a little easier to file (come on Mike time to get a dig in here).

There is nothing wrong with .325!

The area I'm cutting in at the moment is sloped, and the trees run from 16" down to around 12". The 5100 is the only saw I take out of the truck. It's an amazing saw. I'm running .325 Carlton right now, but it would handle a more aggressive 3/8s without a problem.

Freakingstang did some timed tests with different sprocket and chain set ups on the 5100s. I think that he concluded that the 3/8" 7 pin was the fastest. I tried the same set up on my 346, and as I think he predicted, the 346 does not do as well with the 3/8. I will save that bar and chains for the 5100s I am going to get one of these days.

Do a search and see if you can find the thread. I can't remember if it was a thread on the 5100 or if it was a little off topic in another thread.

Jim

Good info

Thanks for all the good info, although I don't know if I am any closer to a decision. I will mainly use the saw for cutting 5-6 cords of firewood a year with dropping the occasional tree and odd jobs out of firewood season.
I am partial to German makes and have always enjoyed having something a little different than everyone else.
As long as I can have some support online :help: I think the Dolmar 5110S will work for me. I have always worked on my own equipment.

And just what I needed...another forum to be addicted to!:cheers:

Dolmar

Uwharrie said:
Dolmar PS-5100S is the fastest chainsaw in the 4 hp range and it's less weight. If a pound doesn't mean anything just buy the Husqvarna and pay more for less horsepower and a heavier saw. If you buy a Dolmar from a Dealer he will be the one to give you service and repair under warranty. Our Store does service everything we sell even what we sell online. We do have a great service Dept. that can make owning a Dolmar a great experience. Our only concern as of today is making sure we can have enough supply. We have increased our order quantities to hopefully be ready for the PS-5100S sales. I also sell the Husqvarna 359 and it's a good saw but it's no match for the 5100. If we can help just let us know. Tony

I'll be sending you PM.

Dolmar warranty

uwharrie,

Can you post the Dolmar PS1500S warranty? Thanks.

I don't have the warranty info in front of me but I know it's Two years for consumer use. I'll post more info asap. Thanks for the inquiry. Tony

Get one of them nazi saws! Can't wait to get mine!(hurry up wood season) I think freakingstangs videos are what sold me on the 5100s. Its just a new breed of saw.

slipknot said:
I think freakingstangs videos are what sold me on the 5100s. .
Hey slipknot, Can you lead this horse to water. I just spent 45 mins looking for the vids of steves 5100S. Do you know if he tried different rims and chains? If you find them PLEASE post me a link some where. I cant find the vids.

scrench said:
uwharrie,

Can you post the Dolmar PS1500S warranty? Thanks.
I'm not uwharrie but- Homeowner, pro or rental same warranty. 1 year complete saw, 2 year emission's which include fuel system, air and ignition system.

Latest posts

Back