dolmar 5100 eval

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twstm said:
... I'm thinking of a Husky 353 or 359 but I have heard a lot of good about the Dolmar.
If you are thinking of the 353 or 359, you should be a perfect candidate for the PS-5100.

It has about the same power as the 359, and only weights slightly more then the 353.
Unlike the Huskys it has an inboard clutch, which has both pluses and minuses, depending on what you are going to use it for.

The 5100 has never been offered as a Makita.

lawmart said:
... i have been using 353, the 5100 is alot lighter ...
That is simply not true, provided the weight of the cutting attachments and fluids are the same.

Last edited:
Clutch

SawTroll said:
If you are thinking of the 353 or 359, you should be a perfect candidate for the PS-5100.

It has about the same power as the 359, and only weights slightly more then the 353.
Unlike the Huskys it has an inboard cluch, which has both pluses and minuses, depending on what you are going to use it for.

The 5100 has never been offered as a Makita.

That is simply not true, provided the weight of the cutting attachments and fluids are the same.

OK, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the inboard clutch? I will mainly be bucking firewood with it...

twstm said:
OK, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the inboard clutch? I will mainly be bucking firewood with it...
Then it probably will not make a difference worth considering.
Some will say that it is harder to change chains with an outboard clutch, but that is an illusion - at least with these Huskys - it is just a question of getting used to how to do it.
The outboard clutch will make it a bit more difficult to change sprockets, but how often will you do that????
It also makes it a bit more work to clean the sprocket area.

It is possible to make the saw body a bit slimmer with an outboard clutch, and the bar and chain will also be closer to the lengthwise axis of gravity, reducing the gyro effect.
Neither of these differences are a big deal, and they are worth considering only for limbing saws.

The big downside of the outboard clutch is that they make the area under the clutch cover (around the sprocket) "untidy", which means that it is more easily clogged by wood-chips and other debris - until the point where the chain ceases to turn.
For most use, this doesn't constitute a real problem either, but it certainly does if you try to rip a log or a firewood block lengthwise, and create long, curly chips in the process.

Last edited:
Uwharrie said:
... If a pound doesn't mean anything just buy the Husqvarna and pay more for less horsepower and a heavier saw. ...

Both the Husky 359 and the Dolmar PS-5100 are rated at 2.9 kW max power output, but that is of course rounded off numbers.
Anyway, the difference should hardly be noticeable, and probably not measurable either in practical cutting, as other factors will have more impact on the final result.....

Last edited:
I bought the 5100 based off of what the people on this forum said just last week. I ran about 5 tanks of fuel through it this weekend and It screams. I own to little mac cats and had never ran a real saw before this one. Amazing saw!

Thanks!

SawTroll said:
Then it probably will not make a difference worth considering.
Some will say that it is harder to change chains with an outboard cluch, but that is an illution - at least with these Huskys - it is just a question of getting used to how to do it.
The outboard cluch will make it a bit more difficult to change sprockets, but how often will you do that????
It also makes it a bit more work to clean the sprocket area.

It is possible to make the saw body a bit slimmer with an outboard cluch, and the bar and chain will also be closer to the lengthwise axis of gravity, redusing the gyro effect.
Neither of these differenses are a big deal, and they are worth considering only for limbing saws.

The big downside of the outboard cluch is that they make the area under the cluch cover (around the sprocket) "untidy", which means that it is more easily clogged by woodchips and other debris - until the point where the chain cheases to turn.
For most use, this doesn't constitute a real problem either, but it certainly does if you try to rip a log or a firewood block lengtwise, and create long, curly chips in the prosess.

Thanks for the good info...I have learned a lot in this foum already. :bowdown:
I have always had some sort of chainsaw for the last 25 years, but have learned more in the short time since I joined than in all the years of owning a saw. This forum is addictive.:dizzy:

twstm said:
Thanks for the good info...I have learned a lot in this foum already. ..
Nice to actually be able to help, instead of quarralling :hmm3grin2orange: with Thall & co! :biggrinbounce2:

Dolmar 5100S

SawTroll said:
Nice to actually be able to help, instead of quarralling :hmm3grin2orange: with Thall & co! :biggrinbounce2:

BTW, My Dolmar PS 5100S is on it's way:clap:

twstm said:
BTW, My Dolmar PS 5100S is on it's way:clap:

Wish I could say the same. The site sponsor, Amick's is out of stock. I am on the waiting list.

scrench said:
Wish I could say the same. The site sponsor, Amick's is out of stock. I am on the waiting list.

I think I got the last one:clap:

Mods

rahtreelimbs said:
The 5100 is an awesome saw!!!

They respond well to simple mods too!

And I will want to know all about them too...I think I modded everything I have owned!

I love the smell of two stroke oil in the morning.....:greenchainsaw:

scrench said:

Not to step on anybodys toes, but We are also a sponsor of AS and probably the oldest Dolmar dealer in the states and we have plenty of saws in stock. Also we were told by Dolmar not to do a web store for Dolmar Product but we could sell to qualified Arborist through this site. I am not a price whore and do not want to step on a small dealers feet, but I do stock many parts and accessories and of course SAWS also hundreds of bars and thousands of feet of chain. Call me lets make a deal Im sure you like many others will be very happy with our service.
Scott

I was just on Dolmar's world-wide website being curious (this was the selection one could make if "your country" was not listed on their home page). They do not list the PS-5100S. They do list a PS-5000, which is also offered with heated handles as the PS-5000H. Here is a link to the PS-5000:
http://www.dolmar.com/site/managed/html/produkt/4471/PS-5000 :popcorn:

Thanks for everyone's support. :clap: We are an established business (since 1960) providing Quality Professional Service. However since we are living in 2006 and have a website that functions, we do provide a service that's needed. We are a new Dolmar Dealer and happy to be a part helping Dolmar grow. We do maintain a good stock level and Our goal is No Backorders. We do appreciate your business. Tony

wildnorthern said:
Does stihl make chain that would fit the 5100s?

Yes they do, they make all the usual varients of RS and RM in .050, .058 and .063.

The chanses that your local dealer (or his distributor) has the .058 chains in stock, are very slim though.

If you insist on using Stihl chain, you will probably be able to buy an aftermarket "small Husky mount"/Oregon K095 bar in .050, but hardly in .063.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back