dolmar 5100 eval

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrench

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been thinking about buying another saw in the 50 cc/4 hp range. The Dolmar 5100 has my interest but I have not found any Dolmar shops within 100 miles of Portland, ME. Anyone know of any?

Perhaps I should be looking at Makita saws. Is there a Makita saw that is rebadged 5100?

I remember reading an evaluation of the Dolmar 5100 vs Husqvarna 346 xp vs Stihl 260 (IIRC). I have lost the link to that eval. Anyone have that?

Thanks.

scrench said:
I have been thinking about buying another saw in the 50 cc/4 hp range. The Dolmar 5100 has my interest but I have not found any Dolmar shops within 100 miles of Portland, ME. Anyone know of any?

Perhaps I should be looking at Makita saws. Is there a Makita saw that is rebadged 5100?

I remember reading an evaluation of the Dolmar 5100 vs Husqvarna 346 xp vs Stihl 260 (IIRC). I have lost the link to that eval. Anyone have that?

Thanks.
Do a search, type in dolmar and follow instructions.

There has GOT to be someone within 100 miles of Portland. The previous distributor for New England was located nearby in Brewer, Me. (R.D. Faulkner). They were probably the best of the old Dolmar distributors, so there has to be some dealers up there.

As far as Makita goes, there are no blue versions of the 5100 family of saws. I believe that all Makita has left are some 6400's and 540's, mostly for the rental business. The plan is to just come at the retail market with one brand.

spike60 said:
There has GOT to be someone within 100 miles of Portland. The previous distributor for New England was located nearby in Brewer, Me. (R.D. Faulkner). They were probably the best of the old Dolmar distributors, so there has to be some dealers up there.

As far as Makita goes, there are no blue versions of the 5100 family of saws. I believe that all Makita has left are some 6400's and 540's, mostly for the rental business. The plan is to just come at the retail market with one brand.

I was told yesterday by a dealer in Mass. that the 540 is discontinued. This dealer was bummed because it was his best selling model.

Tom

scrench said:

Another Mainer!

According to Dolmar's site www.dolmarusa.com ...the following are dealers in your area:

Maine-Ly Small Engine - 319 County Road in Westbrook
Rick & Ray's Small Engine - 1315 Long Plains Rd in Buxton
and
Windham Rental Center - 730 Roosevelt Trail in Winham

I went with the .050 3/8 18 bar

Hi -

I have the .050 3/8 18 bar on the way. Should get here tomorrow.:clap: :greenchainsaw: :clap:

I figured that since 90% of them the dealers I've talked to ship the pro's must know what they are doing.

This is my first serious saw. I've used many other saws from Stihl, Husky, and even old Dolmar's, but this is my hard erned cash.... I'm looking forward to it.

ATB,
Mike P

Urbicide said:
What pitch chain comes on the PS5100S? The Dolmar website says .325. Amick's Superstore says 3/8's. :confused:

I run an 18" with 3/8 - the saw has NO problem pulling a cut with the bar buried. Granted, mostly soft wood out here, but a 16" bar with 3/8 would be a mean mofo in hardwood.

SpudlandDave,

Thanks for the local Portland Maine dealers and the link. I had used that link last week and nothing came up. I should have checked it again before posting. I have been to the shop listed in Westbrook a couple of years ago looking at lawn tractors and it is respected family run business. I did not see any Dolmars there so I did not realize that they are dealers. I'll go check them out.

Rahtreelims, what part of Pa are in? Do you have a dealer near you? I'm thinking of a Husky 353 or 359 but I have heard a lot of good about the Dolmar.

twstm said:
Rahtreelims, what part of Pa are in? Do you have a dealer near you? I'm thinking of a Husky 353 or 359 but I have heard a lot of good about the Dolmar.

I live in Pittsburgh. I got the 5100 online. This doesn't bother me as I repair my own saws. I believe there are a few Dolmar dealers down here.

rahtreelimbs said:
I live in Pittsburgh. I got the 5100 online. This doesn't bother me as I repair my own saws. I believe there are a few Dolmar dealers down here.

I guess we're at opposite ends of the state. I take it you're pretty happy with your 5100?

359 vs 5100

rahtreelimbs said:
Yep!

I think eveyone on here is happy with the 5100!

What do you think of the 5100 vs the Husky 359? You seem to be quite knowledgeable about both. I think I can get the 5100 anout $30 less than the Husky online. Basically I just want a good saw that won't let me down. I'm tired of messing with the one I have now.

twstm said:
What do you think of the 5100 vs the Husky 359? You seem to be quite knowledgeable about both. I think I can get the 5100 anout $30 less than the Husky online. Basically I just want a good saw that won't let me down. I'm tired of messing with the one I have now.

IMO apples and oranges!!!

The 5100 is comparable to the 346. All depends on what size bar you want to run. If you are shooting for a 20" then go for the 359. Another thing is dealer support! If having a dealer close is important to you then go for the Husky.

Last edited:
Dolmar PS-5100S is the fastest chainsaw in the 4 hp range and it's less weight. If a pound doesn't mean anything just buy the Husqvarna and pay more for less horsepower and a heavier saw. If you buy a Dolmar from a Dealer he will be the one to give you service and repair under warranty. Our Store does service everything we sell even what we sell online. We do have a great service Dept. that can make owning a Dolmar a great experience. Our only concern as of today is making sure we can have enough supply. We have increased our order quantities to hopefully be ready for the PS-5100S sales. I also sell the Husqvarna 359 and it's a good saw but it's no match for the 5100. If we can help just let us know. Tony

Latest posts

Back