Dolmar 5100 or Jred 2153, or 2156

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
is the 5100 a bit stronger and faster since it has a bit more hp than the 2153? i have held both, and like the feel of either so i am just want to know what saw is more powerful, if at all,a nd how the motors will hold up in time.

I don't think there are much power difference in the real world, if any - specs notwithstanding - time will tell........

The Dolmar is heavier than the NE346xp (and 2153), and doesn't feel as compact/nimble in the woods, but the Dolmar is more of an allround saw, because of the inboard clutch.

You can't really go wrong with either.

I would surely go with the MS361, over the 2156/357xp - but again, you can't really go wrong with either.

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
The coin flip is not going to decide weather you win or loose, just which way you're going to win.

Or buy both, and try them out, then decide to keep the Jonsered and I'll buy the 5100 from you since I can't get it here... ;)

:cheers:

Right - we got the 5100 and the NE346xp, and both are winners - but in slightly different ways.......

melly-mel

melly-mel

ArboristSite Lurker
pulled the trigger on the 5100! it just felt right a bit more than the 2153. got the saw, 3 new chains, files, for 400 out the door. dealer a great guy, and 10 minutes away. thanks for all the help fellas it is much appreciated. can't wait to fire that mama up. next year it's a 7900!

Last edited:
Fastcast

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great choice! Although the Jred would've been fine too....

You may have already heard but give that 5100 at least 8-10 tanks of fuel and then it will really start to open up for you.

You'll be thinking wow this things runs great and then hells fire is released :angry2:........:hmm3grin2orange:

ENJOY! :cheers:

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Damn thats the way the 346/2153 feels to me.....I almost bought the 2153 but changed my mind after running the 346NE.......

Even the 346 feels a little flimsy to me too. I guess it is just the way the plastic sits. The JRed has a more solid and simple appearance. Too many protrusion on the Husky plastic, and the shininess of the Husky also gives it that flimsy look. The JReds look more stout to me than the Husky's do. All the saws are great, it just comes down to personal preference.

Glad you got a saw you like Mel. :cheers:

melly-mel

melly-mel

ArboristSite Lurker
I always felt just the opposite LOL Jonnies esp in the 50 cc range have always felt flimsy like they would tear in two if you pulled or leaned too hard on them.

Mel Im glad you found a DEAL..

Scott
thanks scott. glad teh guy is a good duy, close, and services what he sells. thanks for your help

melly-mel

melly-mel

ArboristSite Lurker
Even the 346 feels a little flimsy to me too. I guess it is just the way the plastic sits. The JRed has a more solid and simple appearance. Too many protrusion on the Husky plastic, and the shininess of the Husky also gives it that flimsy look. The JReds look more stout to me than the Husky's do. All the saws are great, it just comes down to personal preference.

Glad you got a saw you like Mel. :cheers:
thanks man.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Damn thats the way the 346/2153 feels to me.....I almost bought the 2153 but changed my mind after running the 346NE.......It felt flimsy..

The 346 is just lighter, even though there are more metal parts (clutch cover)......:greenchainsaw:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Dolmar plastic also feel like it is more brittle, but I have no evidence that it actually is......

Last edited:
Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
+1 Dolmars feel a little flimsy and awkward to me. Personal preference I guess.

I always felt just the opposite LOL Jonnies esp in the 50 cc range have always felt flimsy like they would tear in two if you pulled or leaned too hard on them.

I didn't find the Dolmars I ran to be flimsy, but I found them incredibly awkward. This is especially true on the larger models. With the bent handlebar, it forces your left wrist into an awkward position if you're holding the saw (correctly) to the right side of your body, and the angle increases the chance of the saw pivoting back toward you in the event of a kickback.

But worse, they become "heavier" as the day goes on, particularly with a long bar. Why? They don't balance as well. With your thumb pivoted back toward the middle of the saw, you don't have the same leverage you do with the handlebar further out. Last time I used a 7900 was after a long day of sawing. I went to lift the bar to shift it to a new cut on the log, and wondered why it took so much more effort than my 2171. I picked up the 2171, and it was instantly apparent. My wrist was in a better position to lift relative to the bar, and the pivot point for the handlebar was further away from the engine. Think of a lever...is it easier to use a lever if you're hand is nearer the fulcrum...or further? Twisted in relation to the axis of the lever, or perpendicular? (Before you answer that one, remember it is the thumb side of your hand which has the greater strength...)

Guys that run Jonnys usually do so for reasons of ergonomics...they just seem to feel better. It's easy to understand once you've used one, but tougher to explain on paper. So if you've got equal power/weight/build-quality/price/etc., that's what it comes down to. Jonsered puts a lot of research into ergonomics, and it shows. They're just a better design ergonomically than the Dolmars/Huskys.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
pulled the trigger on the 5100! it just felt right a bit more than the 2153. got the saw, 3 new chains, files, for 400 out the door. dealer a great guy, and 10 minutes away. thanks for all the help fellas it is much appreciated. can't wait to fire that mama up. next year it's a 7900!

+1 Excellent choice! :clap: :cheers:

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Guys that run Jonnys usually do so for reasons of ergonomics...they just seem to feel better. It's easy to understand once you've used one, but tougher to explain on paper. So if you've got equal power/weight/build-quality/price/etc., that's what it comes down to. Jonsered puts a lot of research into ergonomics, and it shows. They're just a better design ergonomically than the Dolmars/Huskys.

LOL, the only excuse Jonsered offers for the streight across handlebar is that you can use it as a "gunning sight" when felling.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
LOL, the only excuse Jonsered offers for the streight across handlebar is that you can use it as a "gunning sight" when felling.
It works good for that too, But I just like the feel of a Strait handle more! Been thinking of a way to add some metal and straiten the handle on my 7900 then it would be the perfect saw! But I do get used to the bent handle after a few minutes of running it,but still prefer the strait handle.:)

Latest posts