Dolmar 5105 bar length recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradotrout

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Bought a 20" Carleton thinking that's what I was running. Nope, 18" was on the saw new. Will I be ok with the 20"? Used around the farm. Cedar & hedge felling, limbing, & & mostly this n that in gritty wood

I've used a 20" on mine and it's fine. Couldn't tell the difference while cutting. Felt just a little nose heavy that was it.

I think that a 20" bar is a little too big for a 50cc saw. I own a Stihl MS261, which is a 50cc saw, and I usually have a 16'' bar and 3/8s chain OR max a 18" bar with a 0.325 chain. But that's just me !

Mine turns a 20" like a banshee. The one thing I did was remove the cat muffler and replaced it with the non-cat (I think from a 510), so it doesn't get hot like it used to. Still a bit of a gas-guzzler, IMO.

18” 3/8” always seemed the sweet spot for that saw. It doesn’t run like a regular 50cc. 20” will be fine for OP’s intended use.

Ported, mine runs 16” 3/8” since it generally only gets used to block up firewood with bar-buried cuts one after another, and set up that way it pulls hard.

I think I bought it off of eBay, but what I would do at this point is probably try to warm it up and open it up and then gut it. You definitely shouldn't spend more than like 10 or 15 bucks on one if you try to get a new one. You just got to make sure it's the non-cat one. I suspect there are a number of other threads here regarding this very issue.

put a 5100 muffler on mine, 18" bar 3/8 full chisel chain, can cut a full pickup load of fire wood of any kind of wood including dead locust and not run out of gas. but muffler will cost $50.00. also tip if flooding, clip corner off duckbill in tank vent and all will be good

I had to nip the corner off mine. That prevented the flooding I was experiencing.
05c50904abe42fe8197264540723b8f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back