Dolmar 5105 did not start - squirted oil into cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it has any scoring, it will likely get worse and should be taken care of before it's run any more. A picture of the piston through the exhaust port posted here would be a huge help!!! Burning up the first saw should have been a sign that you were not using enough oil, and/or the saw was tuned too lean.
Dealer said cause was Dolmar design flaw. There was an opening on the top of the carb. On the 5105 there is now a round filter material glued over top of it. Dealer did later say he slowed down my 5105.

I hate bashing on a dealer and not knowing the situation first hand but your dealer needs an education. He should have been able to pinpoint the cause of the first failure. The 5100 was a reliable saw provided it was tuned right! I am leery of the 50:1 mix ratios let alone 100:1 no matter the brand/quality of the oil

Dealer said cause was Dolmar design flaw.
the largest design flaw was dealers not tuning them and they lean seized. They came from the factory lean and dealers sent them out the door that way. Improper mixed gas and improper tuning are the biggest killer of saws. Even a $99 poulan will run a long time if those 2 things are addressed

the largest design flaw was dealers not tuning them and they lean seized. They came from the factory lean and dealers sent them out the door that way. Improper mixed gas and improper tuning are the biggest killer of saws. Even a $99 poulan will run a long time if those 2 things are addressed
Pretty sure dealer and the Dolmar area rep did not communicate. I'm glad they replaced it, but not confident in their knowledge. My area is full of Stihl and Husq dealers. But the Dolmar for the money seemed like a much better buy. I'll be running 50:1 from here out, and trying to learn about tuning. I'll get those pics so you all can give me some feedback.

Pretty sure dealer and the Dolmar area rep did not communicate. I'm glad they replaced it, but not confident in their knowledge. My area is full of Stihl and Husq dealers. But the Dolmar for the money seemed like a much better buy. I'll be running 50:1 from here out, and trying to learn about tuning. I'll get those pics so you all can give me some feedback.
I have been using Opti-2 for many years and think it is a quality product, but I run a 50:1 ratio. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Hell make it 40/1 and eliminate any question of oil problems all together. Tune it and it will run a long time. Tuning is very simple a YouTube video is sufficient for most to pick up on in 1 watching.

Hell make it 40/1 and eliminate any question of oil problems all together. Tune it and it will run a long time. Tuning is very simple a YouTube video is sufficient for most to pick up on in 1 watching.

Are you referring to this one -- http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/video-how-to-tune-a-chainsaw.113538/#post-1797089

I kinda get it -- but not quite sure. I use the saw for a lot of brush, etc -- so don't often run it through a 12" log. A lot of 1" and 2" junk, maybe cut down some 6" or 12" cedars and some hedge, mulberry, oak. But I'm not cutting firewood. Clearing trees and brush mostly. The tuning in that video shows running through a big log, and from what I can tell adjusting the H for a smooth sound. If you have other vids, let me know please.

Latest posts

Back