Dolmar advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From watching both videos I'd say they mirror my experience starting my 6100. Clunky, not "easy" but it only lasts three pulls on my saw when cold. The "high compression" feeling goes away when warm and is as close to perfection as you can get in saw starting ease. When cold, if you put it on the ground and put your foot in the handle as they reccommend it's pretty easy. It's just the "crotch jerk" method that is hard to make look like it's supposed to be done that way.
It's funny but I've yet to see a 6100 video that looks like it has the 20 inch bar that comes with the saw still on it. Everybody puts a longer bar on the saw from the looks of it. The dogs on the saw are very long so a 20" bar would cut with about 18< of bar anyway.

My video post number #49 in this thread of me cutting the face notch out of a 20" dead oak is with the OEM 20" bar. I posted it to show me starting it, warm with a crotch hold. And you are correct, it starts easy. I have convinced myself my 6100 does not have an easy start feature.

Here is another picture from yesterday when I got to bucking that same oak tree, the Dolmar name has long since been worn off the bar:

20211208_133251.jpg

It might be a reflection of my conservative, pragmatic, some might say cheap nature, but the OEM 20" bar does a fine job on most of what I cut. I do own a 24" bar for when the wood gets just a little too big. Like this big ugly maple that toppled over in a storm :

IMG_7811.jpg

My video post number #49 in this thread of me cutting the face notch out of a 20" dead oak is with the OEM 20" bar. I posted it to show me starting it, warm with a crotch hold. And you are correct, it starts easy. I have convinced myself my 6100 does not have an easy start feature.

Here is another picture from yesterday when I got to bucking that same oak tree, the Dolmar name has long since been worn off the bar:

View attachment 947327

It might be a reflection of my conservative, pragmatic, some might say cheap nature, but the OEM 20" bar does a fine job on most of what I cut. I do own a 24" bar for when the wood gets just a little too big. Like this big ugly maple that toppled over in a storm :

View attachment 947324
Funny, your bar looks longer which is what we all want anyway, isn't it?
I do like that saw and would cut wood everyday if I needed more. As it is I've recahed the limit of the neighborhood's tolerance for wood stacked all over the yard. Any more and burning paper sacks will start to appear on my door step.

20" is short for most of what I cut and with it buried, and a little pinch at the top of the bar or tip, it feels like it wants to come back at you...mine is ported, remember. When I first got it I was used to my 2050, and the Dolmar would be thru the log before I was ready to be...

Have you had trouble finding a 24" bar? They are few and far between in my neck of the woods.
Here are the part numbers for the Oregon 28" bar and chain which the saw pulls w/o strain. Turn the oiler up to max and go for it. It's not 24" but why spend that much money to only gain 4" of cut? The 28" allows you to pretty much stand up when limbing downed logs.

Chain part description​

OREGON 72LGX093G 93 Drive Link Super Guard Chisel Chain, 3/8-Inch​

28" bar part description

Oregon 280RNDD009 .050" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 28" Power Match Bar​

Here are the part numbers for the Oregon 28" bar and chain which the saw pulls w/o strain. Turn the oiler up to max and go for it. It's not 24" but why spend that much money to only gain 4" of cut? The 28" allows you to pretty much stand up when limbing downed logs.

Chain part description​

OREGON 72LGX093G 93 Drive Link Super Guard Chisel Chain, 3/8-Inch​

28" bar part description

Oregon 280RNDD009 .050" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 28" Power Match Bar​

Interesting.

Was under the impression it wouldn't handle 28". Haven't been able to find any longer bars in the small mount.

Your link is for a D009 mount. That won't fit the 6100.

Interesting.

Was under the impression it wouldn't handle 28". Haven't been able to find any longer bars in the small mount.

Your link is for a D009 mount. That won't fit the 6100.
It handles a 28" fine with a full chain on green and a skip on dry oak.
( I'll double check the bar number )
Well now I'm a bit mystified. I'm pretty sure I copied the bar part number off the box it came in but you're right, that's the big mount for the bigger Dolmars while the 6100 takes the small Husky mount. I understand that you can modify a big mount to run on a small mount but I didn't do that. It seems to oil fine and the mount fits the saw so I guess I got the K095 mount and somehow got the wrong part number in my file. I had a lot of to and fro with both an Oregon rep and a saw parts supplier before I got it worked out when I did it
Here's the parts numbers I believe I got from the Oregon rep but I realize my credibility has taken a hit.
BARSTD. SEQUENCE CHAINSKIP SEQUENCE
28"280RNDK09572LGX093G72JGX093G
24"240RNDK09572LGX084G72JGX084G

It handles a 28" fine with a full chain on green and a skip on dry oak.
( I'll double check the bar number )
Well now I'm a bit mystified. I'm pretty sure I copied the bar part number off the box it came in but you're right, that's the big mount for the bigger Dolmars while the 6100 takes the small Husky mount. I understand that you can modify a big mount to run on a small mount but I didn't do that. It seems to oil fine and the mount fits the saw so I guess I got the K095 mount and somehow got the wrong part number in my file. I had a lot of to and fro with both an Oregon rep and a saw parts supplier before I got it worked out when I did it
Here's the parts numbers I believe I got from the Oregon rep but I realize my credibility has taken a hit.
BARSTD. SEQUENCE CHAINSKIP SEQUENCE
28"280RNDK09572LGX093G72JGX093G
24"240RNDK09572LGX084G72JGX084G
This is the business i bought the bar and initial chain from. They show a 24" bar with a medium mount which makes no sense to me. Here's the link.

https://www.landmsupply.com/ht-280-...-bar-3-8-pitch-050-gauge-medium-mount-24-inch

Says medium mount up top but when you scroll down it says small mount.

Thanks for that,
The 6400 has a red line of 13,500 RPM and makes 4.7 hp. The 6100 has a red line of 13,800 and makes 4.6 hp. They show a solid nose 28" bar for the 6400 in the parts list in the owners manual. If the factory says the 6400 is able to pull a 28" bar with 4.7 hp, the 6100 can do it too even though it has 0.1 hp less. I have just had no problem with the saw using the longer bar especially with a full skip even in flint hard, bone dry, oak. If the chain is sharp! Nothing works right with a dull chain.
davidwyby said, "....mine is ported, remember." when saying his is inclined to kick back. How does porting affect kickback?

D009 is Husky Large mount
K095 is generally called Husky small mount and I have not previously heard it called medium mount, BUT some of the smaller huskies (i.e. Husky 136) use the A041 mount, so I could see the logic of calling the A041 a small mount, which would make the K095 a logical bar to call a medium mount

20" is short for most of what I cut and with it buried, and a little pinch at the top of the bar or tip, it feels like it wants to come back at you...mine is ported, remember. When I first got it I was used to my 2050, and the Dolmar would be thru the log before I was ready to be...
How does porting affect kickback?

The 6400 is a 7900 with a smaller piston and cylinder. ;-)

6400 stroke 47mm

6100 35mm.

they both cut at 9,000 rpm, or should, so the 6400 should have more grunt for a longer bar with it’s longer stroke.

I’m working on getting my hands on a ported 7900 ala @huskihl

Just tonight I was trimming up some rounds for decoration for my wife that were Mesquite that I cut with the Dolmar, first project I did with it. It was in a tight backyard and I had to junket down in firewood size chunks to get it out. Mesquite is really heavy. I I Remember that as I would cut the chunks off horizontally working a bit high, if I got any kind of catch on the tip (rounds were right at or over the limit of bar length) or pinch on the top of the bar I could feel that the saw threatening to come at me. First time I remember being warned by a saw.

Back