DOLMAR KMS 4 Wankel Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keen

ArboristSite Operative
Very good pick up Keen, that is one desireable collectors saw. Bill G has one that he routinely brings to our GTG's.

MM - The power plant is a Wankle / rotary so the action is more like two stroke. They run on mixed fuel to keep the seals lubricated.

The KMS 4 is one saw that should be on every collectors list, I know it's on mine.

I did manage to pick up a McCulloch BP-1 last year, hopefully one of these days I'll get it put back together and get it running.

Maybe one day I'll manage to get the Echo twin and the Solo twin as well...

Mark

Thanks Mark, a BP-1 is definitely on my wishlist alongs with the others you have mentioned. Would also love to get my hands on a 166 someday.

Brian VT

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great find. Congrats !
The Cutting Edge guys were nice enough to let me run one of theirs and I'll never forget it. Nothing like it.
I'd go through that saw well and try to learn everything I could about setting it up before you put it into wood.
I wouldn't want to be looking for any major parts for one of those.
I think I remember reading to not run gas with any ethanol in those saws.

Last edited:
promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
Is this saw a rotary engine? Ive never heard of them, just curious. Im gonna go on the web and search them a little. So i see it is rotary, is it two or four stroke??

Neither. It's a constant power cycle. HowStuffWorks "The Parts of a Rotary Engine" Here you go. Look and learn! :) I love Wankel Rotaries, the most power-to-weight and power per liter of displacement ratio of any internal combustion engine I know of, they get bad gas milage, and consume oil though. Mazda RX-7 Turbo's have been known to be modified to put out 650 HP at the wheels, this is from a 1.3L engine. :)

warjohn

warjohn

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great deal, good eye, lots of luck,

but how much are they, generally?

:)

I paid 150 for the one I bought last year but would have paid at least twice that. I gave it to my son since he is the Dolmar guy. I would like to have one for myself. I know where there is one at and when the guy decides to sell it he says I get first choice.

Dan_IN_MN

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
:jawdrop:

I'd like to have one someday;)

Well...lets see here....how could we make it so you have "1"?

I got it.....4-3=1 .....! I'll take one and you have two more to get rid of! JK

OP.

Nice find!

Would you please take a pic of the air filter for me? A friend of mine has a KMS4 and it needs a filter. I was told that it's just felt but it would be nice to be able to see one.

Thanks!

deereguy

deereguy

ArboristSite Operative
Kms4

Keen, Congrats, I understand your excitement. When I found mine, I discovered that the bar studs were installed backward, reverse. strange.... I hope you're successful finding any manuals. So far, I've haven't had any luck. rick

Keen

ArboristSite Operative
Great find. Congrats !
The Cutting Edge guys were nice enough to let me run one of theirs and I'll never forget it. Nothing like it.
I'd go through that saw well and try to learn everything I could about setting it up before you put it into wood.
I wouldn't want to be looking for any major parts for one of those.
I think I remember reading to not run gas with any ethanol in those saws.

Thanks Brian, yeah thats the plan. There are a few things I need to do to it before it gets into any wood. The lower bracket for the front handle needs some work. Figured I would go though the carb and put in new diaphams this weekend. Also do a pressure vac/test.

Keen

ArboristSite Operative

OP.

Nice find!

Would you please take a pic of the air filter for me? A friend of mine has a KMS4 and it needs a filter. I was told that it's just felt but it would be nice to be able to see one.

Thanks!

Thanks, heres a picture of the filter. It is about 1/8th inch thick.

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Mazda RX-7 Turbo's have been known to be modified to put out 650 HP at the wheels, this is from a 1.3L engine. :)[/QUOTE]

I had a RX-7 when i was in High School, bought it off a friend. It was incredible the rpms i could spin it up too! 9000 rpm all night long racing!! It didn't last long, the apex seals went. I know how the RX-7 lubrication system works, the saw just runs mix to lube the seals?? It is amazing the power the little 13B would put out.

Addicted to ArboristSite

OP.

Nice find!

Thanks!

If I got rid of 3 of them I would still have two left.:smile-big:

I forgot all about getting that picture for you. I see that keen put up a picture of his.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts