Dolmar PS510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the husqvarna semi pro versions are the "rancher" (450, 455) modells and not the 545 as far as I understood.

No, the 4xx models are "homeowner" saws regardless if they call them "Rancher" - the current semi-pro ones are the 545 and 555.

The meaning of designations like Rancher, Farm Boss and Wood Boss have been "devaluated" the last few decades, and no longer is about semi-pro saws, just somewhat high end homeowner saws. The use also has varied between markets.

No, the 4xx models are "homeowner" saws regardless if they call them "Rancher" - the current semi-pro ones are the 545 and 555.

The meaning of designations like Rancher, Farm Boss and Wood Boss have been "devaluated" the last few decades, and no longer is about semi-pro saws, just somewhat high end homeowner saws. The use also has varied between markets.
Yeh the nomenclatur is getting complicated with husqvarna nowadays. Here in Austria they have the "seldom use saws"= 136li & 135, "allround saws" = 435-450, "robust saws"= 545,555,365 and "pro saws" = 536li, 543 and up.
Personally I am a old guy who like to keep things simple and the 545, 555, 365 just belong into the pro class even if they are slightly detuned. There are enuough pros claiming to use the "detuned" variantes because at the end of the day they haven't cut any more to warrent the price increase. Further I haven't seen or heard or read of any non pro ever running 435-450 long enough to actually "use it up". So that sure must be a tremendeous amount of wood that for me clearly defines the "farmer" category. And last I'm just used to the Stihl nomeclature and that simplified version by me kind of wraps it up.

Yeh the nomenclatur is getting complicated with husqvarna nowadays. Here in Austria they have the "seldom use saws"= 136li & 135, "allround saws" = 435-450, "robust saws"= 545,555,365 and "pro saws" = 536li, 543 and up.
Personally I am a old guy who like to keep things simple and the 545, 555, 365 just belong into the pro class even if they are slightly detuned. There are enuough pros claiming to use the "detuned" variantes because at the end of the day they haven't cut any more to warrent the price increase. Further I haven't seen or heard or read of any non pro ever running 435-450 long enough to actually "use it up". So that sure must be a tremendeous amount of wood that for me clearly defines the "farmer" category. And last I'm just used to the Stihl nomeclature and that simplified version by me kind of wraps it up.

The nomenclature has been complicated across the brands for a long time, as what they called the different categories (and how they defined them) has been up to the marketing departments of each brand, and have changed with time - there never really has been any consensus.
I don't think either Husky or Stihl ever used the category designation "semi-pro", they always either called it something else, or nothing in particular at all - the saws just were pro saws with a lower power to weight ratio than an alternative model. There were other brands that did though.

Is there a difference in the cylinder of the 510 compared to the 5100S? I have a 5100S but a friend told me it looked to have a 510 cylinder on it. Not that I'm gonna change it because in my opinion the saw really runs good the way it is..
510 is an open port cylinder, 5100/5105 is closed port. externally there is very little difference and it has been so long since i held a "5100" cylinder in my hands i cant remember if they are the same as a 5105 or not but the here is current 510 vs 5105 cylinders.....510 on the right and 5105 on the left. notice the deeper cooling fins on the 510 cylinder and the bulged finless transfers compared to the boxy look of the 510.

AS 002.jpg AS 003.jpg

510 is an open port cylinder, 5100/5105 is closed port. externally there is very little difference and it has been so long since i held a "5100" cylinder in my hands i cant remember if they are the same as a 5105 or not but the here is current 510 vs 5105 cylinders.....510 on the right and 5105 on the left. notice the deeper cooling fins on the 510 cylinder and the bulged finless transfers compared to the boxy look of the 510.

View attachment 541315 View attachment 541316
Thank you for showing me the difference. Not sure how a 510 cylinder would have gotten on my saw as it came from a Dolmar dealer but he offered me a free cylinder from a parts 5100 and I told him thanks but I'm not going to change the cylinders on a great running saw. I haven't looked to be sure which cylinder it has yet.

I think you swap the clutch drum out just like a Stihl, washer and retainer E clip, if I remember correctly.
Yep that's what it looks like when I had her apart.
Looks like you did real good, for what you paid, real good!
Yes sir...itwas new! Firefighter just didn't want it!
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I would run it as it is till regular bar and sprocket change time comes round.
I'm going to do just that!

Made the neighbor kid go get some 92 octane fuel...haha put premix in the can before he left. He pops over and says i had to do it twice! I said WTH? "yeah" he said..."gas station dude would only take 3 bucks so first fill was .88 gallons second fill was .35"!
NO NO NO I explained. You aren't gonna use that weak mixed fuel in these saws! I think after an explanation he understood why hahaha! But this little thing screams!!!!! It outcuts the 455 Rancher easily! Even with the garbage chain on it. I'm absolutely happy I bought this thing! After 3/4 of the yard wood buzzed up i stopped for a cigar.20161205_150626[1].jpg

So weirdness begins!
This thing has that weird silver streak bar... part # is 079-3017 which comes back as 20 inch .325 .058 78dl
tags on the saw reference bar as 411.909.650 which pops up as 3/8 .050
chain reference # is 528.099.066 which doesn't return results!
So I think I'm just gonna find a rim sprocket kit and make it 3/8 for sure and use the small mount husky bars on it.
Go figure...I think I need a beer or 5!

... But this little thing screams!!!!! It outcuts the 455 Rancher easily! Even with the garbage chain on it. I'm absolutely happy I bought this thing!
Sorry but something is not correct here! The 455 and 510 schould be about equal in power and productivity. So either your 455 or your 510 are not running correctly!
Often mistakes with the potential HIGH RISK of premature death to your equipment:
NO oil in the mix!
Carb settings WAY too lean!
Chain very dull
Airfilter clogged
Exhaust clogged

would be a few I would check to be sure everything is ok, BEFORE further use!

@7sleeper I can assure you both saws are religiously cleaned after each use.
I mix (if not using trufuel premix) xp oil at a rate of 50:1 or 2.6 Oz per gallon or 3.789L to 76.89mL
The 455 ( the one I have anyway) has no carb adjustments....it's an auto-tune.
And frankly my observation stands...this 510 simply outcuts the 455; period.
And the chain on the 510 was new and on my 455 they're sharpened by my neighbor who does it for a living.
And I don't run these things to make noise or have beers while yapping with buddies. They're firewood saws because I get enjoyment from buzzing up my own wood. And the heat from a fire (as mentioned by others on here) somehow feels better when you know the effort was yours.
Could it be the excitement of a new saw? Possibly.
Could it be the 510 has what seems to be a wonky .325 set up? Possibly.
Cheers.

So weirdness begins!
This thing has that weird silver streak bar... part # is 079-3017 which comes back as 20 inch .325 .058 78dl
tags on the saw reference bar as 411.909.650 which pops up as 3/8 .050
chain reference # is 528.099.066 which doesn't return results!
So I think I'm just gonna find a rim sprocket kit and make it 3/8 for sure and use the small mount husky bars on it.
Go figure...I think I need a beer or 5!
I think that Silver Streak bar is marketed by Stens, not sure who makes it.

@a. palmer jr. yeah its a stens i found it. But bizarre that it's on the saw and both are new but doesn't match stickers on saw itself hmmm. It's ok though I'll swap out the spur to a rim 3/8 and run my small mount husky bars....so no buying the weird dolmar length chains.

@a. palmer jr. Oh I've no issues with the bar after all it's a firewood saw. But I'd prefer it to match my little Husky for ease...if that makes sense. In fact you essentially reminded me I need to get off my dead butt and see if I can reference the sprocket # to see if it already is 3/8!

Latest posts

Back