Done with bad fuel !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to retinker my diesel swapped Yota, and start driving it again. 22-24mpg, and I actually enjoy driving it, unlike my Subaru.
What is it and what engine is in it?. The old VW rabbit pickups with a diesel still command high prices for a old truck

What is it and what engine is in it?. The old VW rabbit pickups with a diesel still command high prices for a old truck

Just like my username says, a Mercedes OM617 swapped into a '90 pickup. Last generation where the Toyota pickup we have here in the states was the same as the legendary Hilux of worldwide fame.

Just like my username says, a Mercedes OM617 swapped into a '90 pickup. Last generation where the Toyota pickup we have here in the states was the same as the legendary Hilux of worldwide fame.
Many years ago I bought an 89 with a blown engine for $300. Rebuilt the engine and swapped the front end for a solid axle and 37's. It was a fun little rig.
I kept the 2.8 inline 6 out of a 280z I wrecked with intentions of putting it in the Yota. Kids and family took over and I ended up selling both.

I'll tell ya, I wish I had spent the money and found a solid, Southwestern 12v Cummins / Ram pickup, rather than spending the $31-LARGE on this friggin lemon '07 Silverado 1500 with the failure prone 5.3! I think I'll have another $31-LARGE put into the damn thing in repairs, and upgrades to GM's "value-added engineering" over the past 15 years / 122k miles.

My ball joints never made 40k miles, rear end shed the tips of the spider gear teeth off at 97k (That's just when I found it - probably happened 20k miles sooner!), and the 4L60E transmission lost 3rd & 4th (Like all of them do in the GMT-900 platform) at 103k.

I swear if I didn't drive, I'd have enough money for a helicopter or 2 in my stable ...

I'll tell ya, I wish I had spent the money and found a solid, Southwestern 12v Cummins / Ram pickup, rather than spending the $31-LARGE on this friggin lemon '07 Silverado 1500 with the failure prone 5.3! I think I'll have another $31-LARGE put into the damn thing in repairs, and upgrades
Not to add insult to injury but I believe you are a mechanic by trade. Just think of the amount it would be at dealership rates. Of course your time is money but can you imagine what a dealership would charge

I fail to see why any one would buy a diesel pick up espescialy in our cold Canadian climate.I hear guys saying they had to change pumps or other diesel related parts continualy.
I bought a used1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 318 motor in 2003 I was leery because the transmissions and front ends were supposed to be problem prone.I will be taking it off the road because it has severe body cancer.
It was one of the best vehicles I ever owned it now has 490618 kilometers on it which is roughly 300000 miles every thing still works except for the air conditioning and the high beam indicator wont stay on high beam.
This is what has went wrong over the years garbage disc front brakes changed 5 times the back drums still have original pads 3 front wheel bearings I just put a patch on the original muffler last year.I had a leak at the water pump so when my mechanic went to change it he suggested we change the timing gears and chain. one front end part and a couple brake lines.I had no fuel related issues except for cleaning a sensor the alternator and starter are original .
The only other vehicle that was as reliable was my 88 Mazda B2000 it suffered body cancer as well and was forced from the road with 375000 kliks.
Both these vehicles used a litre between oil change and both never failed to start with out being plugged even at -40.
Kash
If you ever pulled a trailer with a diesel, you would know why. Torque, baby!

I would own an old truck in a heart beat if the environment wouldnt chew it up. The problem with older vehicles here is, they just don't last. We're among the worst areas in the country when it comes to vehicles rusting out. A combination of 100"+ of snowfall annually, constant temp swings throughout the winter and year round high humidity. Fluid film uses our local ODOT facility for testing. My 98 Ram 2500 made it 19 years before I got tired of fighting the cancer. And I'm avid about undercoating with Woolwax, etc. In the end it was the stupid stuff that broke me. Shift linkage rotting out at a fuel stop 200 miles from home with a loaded 25ft trailer in tow and having to rely on a perfect stranger to hold the brake pedal while I crawled underneath to shift the trans into gear and pull off an orchestrated swap into the driver's seat kind of stupid stuff. The type of stuff that really, really tries your sanity. I sold it and bought a 2014 bare bones Ram 3500. Chassis wise and towing capabilty it's twice the truck my 98 was. I just hope it makes it to the 20 year mark like the 98. Time will tell.

One thing I don't appreciate enough is the lack of rust in my area. Very little snow, no salt.

I watch YT channels, and the guys are climbing under vehicles, and while I'm thinking wow that's ridiculous, I'd pass on anything with that much rust, they're falling over themselves about how clean it is, and how it's just surface rust, everything works, nothing rotted out. Makes me shake my head.

One thing I don't appreciate enough is the lack of rust in my area. Very little snow, no salt.

I watch YT channels, and the guys are climbing under vehicles, and while I'm thinking wow that's ridiculous, I'd pass on anything with that much rust, they're falling over themselves about how clean it is, and how it's just surface rust, everything works, nothing rotted out. Makes me shake my head.
Illinois uses salt extremely heavily and vehicles rust in short order. In the mid to late 1970's Chevy trucks were some of the worst to rust. Well the Ford Courier probably rusted faster right between the door and front fenders

The problem is many diesel owners have no reason as they do not pull trailers. They just like blowing smoke and "rollin coal"
I know what you're saying but it's mostly a maturity thing from what I see. Young kids just thinking it's cool. Especially with the older mechanical diesels it's easy (in some cases free) to turn up the pump and make em smoke. At most all it takes is a plug and play tuner. It generally doesn't stick once they grow up.
Of course it's not cut and dry and there are idiots out there that will never grow up.

I know what you're saying but it's mostly a maturity thing from what I see. Young kids just thinking it's cool. Especially with the older mechanical diesels it's easy (in some cases free) to turn up the pump and make em smoke. At most all it takes is a plug and play tuner. It generally doesn't stick once they grow up.
Of course it's not cut and dry and there are idiots out there that will never grow up.
I agree it is in many cases a maturity issue. I have a 19 year old son that apparently spent over $40,000 on one then countless more on the tires, wheels, etc. He makes extremely good money and knows he can CURRENTLY afford it. We will see how long that lasts when life hits him upside the face and he sees how much he spent as compared to buying a house. I bought two houses for less (each) than what he paid for the truck. Those houses returned a gross income of $5000 to $7000 each year with a decent net return and I used the banks money. Lets see where the $40,000 truck is in a few years

Wisdom is hard to come by at 19 to be sure. I made real good money right out of highschool also and spent it on not the best of investments. Kids were the anchor that slowed me down.

I did that when I was young too, bought a hot rod I couldn't afford. Sold it when I added up what I'd spent on payments+ insurance, realized it was more than the purchase price of the vehicle, and yet I still had years of payments left! Got out from under it immediately.

There's a reason I bought a '98 truck, instead of something newer. $900 truck payment would make me puke. Yeah I can afford it, but that's a mortgage on a rental property, which is an appreciating asset that also provides dividends, vs. a vehicle, which is purely an expenditure.

No thanks. I bought something I felt comfortable just writing a check for.

Not to add insult to injury but I believe you are a mechanic by trade. Just think of the amount it would be at dealership rates. Of course your time is money but can you imagine what a dealership would charge
It would be ASTRONOMICAL. Would be a cold day in hell I'd pay that amount, even if I lost all 4 limbs. Dealers around here get $120+ an hour last I checked, and that was a while ago.

You're lucky!

295F9864-F8CF-4059-ABBA-BED464899420_1_105_c.jpeg7289F6D6-DE7C-45F7-8149-9B7F6F847EC0_1_105_c.jpeg414D4B5B-778D-4C68-9ABC-993379C5EB9B_1_105_c.jpeg8593E2EF-F9C7-4F7F-B722-149A5252A19E_1_105_c.jpeg145E46A2-F78E-43EE-9638-F316007D043A.jpeg984C5577-9792-4ED0-89FD-9AA62C721263.jpegAE864ACD-C1DE-4EE0-AD51-5E5872584717.jpeg97082731-A11A-4228-AA41-BDC48DE11197.jpeg18A20983-DE69-49EA-A179-1B9641EB624B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back