Done with bad fuel !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out your local airport prices here: https://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html - Exclude any with the prefix "FS" (Full service with tanker truck - not sure if they'd fill a little gas can from that), or "RA" (Restricted Access - you have to be a member of a club, or meet some other requirement to get this fuel).

Ranges from $7 -$8 a gallon around here.

I don't use it mainly due to lead deposits, and the requirement of adding TCP to the mix to prevent eventual lead fouling. I've got enough things to maintain around here - I don't need to create more. Just picked up 12.5 gallons of E0 today out in NY for $5.39 a gallon. I think that puts me at 40 or so gallons in my stockpile. My paramotor will burn roughly 2 gallons an hour or more, so I can go through it quick. Had to deliver a car out there, and stop for fuel for the truck, so might as well.

Check out your local airport prices here: https://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html - Exclude any with the prefix "FS" (Full service with tanker truck - not sure if they'd fill a little gas can from that), or "RA" (Restricted Access - you have to be a member of a club, or meet some other requirement to get this fuel).

Ranges from $7 -$8 a gallon around here.

I don't use it mainly due to lead deposits, and the requirement of adding TCP to the mix to prevent eventual lead fouling. I've got enough things to maintain around here - I don't need to create more. Just picked up 12.5 gallons of E0 today out in NY for $5.39 a gallon. I think that puts me at 40 or so gallons in my stockpile. My paramotor will burn roughly 2 gallons an hour or more, so I can go through it quick. Had to deliver a car out there, and stop for fuel for the truck, so might as well.
They are really gouging you on the price of non ethanol. That is sad but of course the availability is much different for you folks. Here 10 percent is $3.55 so the ethanol free gas is probably $3.65 or a bit more. I will look tonight as I need fuel.

E0 used to be .10-.20 more than E10 around here too until gas prices went through the roof. Like diesel fuel E0 has come down much slower than the common blends at the pump.
I might be a bit off on the price but I will know tonight when I stop to get fuel. As you said the diesel has not fallen or at least it had not last week. I posted earlier in the week about how our E85 was still at $3.00 which was the same price as it was back when E10 was $4.50/75. Well that day they dropped the E85 to $2.60. I am hoping it goes down lower as I have a little experiment I want to try

Way larger gap here. E0 is $1-2/gal more than E10, and that gap actually got smaller as E10 got more expensive. When regular E10 was $2/gal, E0 was $4.30. When E10 was $5.20, E0 was $6-something.

At 10-20 cents more, I'd have tried E0 for a few tanks to see how/if it changed my fuel economy. When it's 50-100% higher than E10, not a chance.

The Northeast in general (Mainly NY, MA, CT, RI) screws you every chance they get. It's little surprise E0 is so much. There's undoubtedly road taxes on the NY E0, since it was sold as the premium fuel at Stuart's Shops right along side 87 & 89. This is 91 octane premium.

As I said I might be off on the price difference and I will look tonight. I can fully understand that different states and locations will have widely different prices depending on availability and demand. If certainly seems the northeast states might have it the worst. Here a lot of stations have a huge selection with 0,10,15 , and 85 plus of course diesel. I think that might be some with 20 and 30 percent blends. I believe up in Wisconsin they have that also. I am a huge proponent of ethanol and burn it in my 4 stroke engines but common sense says when the mower gets put up for the winter the tank not carb will have ethanol in it.

E0 used to be .10-.20 more than E10 around here too until gas prices went through the roof. Like diesel fuel E0 has come down much slower than the common blends at the pump.

Some of that will be that fuel stations can only reduce pricing after what they have in their tanks is sold, and are able to buy more fuel at a lower price. E0 will sell more slowly, and will come down in price much more slowly.

Too bad the reverse isn't true. Fuel prices go up, and gas stations have to raise prices immediately, even if the fuel in their tanks was bought at a lower price, so they can afford to buy the more expensive fuel to refill their tanks.

Some of that will be that fuel stations can only reduce pricing after what they have in their tanks is sold, and are able to buy more fuel at a lower price. E0 will sell more slowly, and will come down in price much more slowly.

Too bad the reverse isn't true. Fuel prices go up, and gas stations have to raise prices immediately, even if the fuel in their tanks was bought at a lower price, so they can afford to buy the more expensive fuel to refill their tanks.
No doubt that's the case for E0 and slower moving fuels but the continued elevation of diesel fuel pricing is frustrating. The notion of it being in demand any more than the typical summer of years past is confusing. Its crippling small farms and buisinesses around here that have no choice but to buy it or close the doors.

No doubt that's the case for E0 and slower moving fuels but the continued elevation of diesel fuel pricing is frustrating. The notion of it being in demand any more than the typical summer of years past is confusing. Its crippling small farms and buisinesses around here that have no choice but to buy it or close the doors.
That is completely true. I was hauling firewood from my son's house either two or three weeks ago today and did not watch the fuel gauge. It tends to not be accurate in that tractor anyway. I had a flat tire got that fixed then ran out of diesel. That resulted in a three mile walk home. Next day I take off to get fuel and the station does not have any. I am not sure how a station can run out but heck how did I do it myself

I've yet to see diesel sell out locally. I have seen several gas stations close because they ran out of gasoline in the last several months. Who would have ever thought.

That's been my experience. I've seen gasoline run out, but I've never seen a station run out of diesel. There's a reason I refuel my vehicles at half tank, and carry enough cash on me for a tank of fuel and a bite to eat.

Well I was dead wrong on the price of E0 only being 10 cents more. I said E10 was $3.55 and I thought E0 was $3.65...............nope try $4.15. So I guess I was wrong by what 600%..... That was at Casey's which I do not like but they are right next to the farm store so it is the most convenient to check. The E10 was $3.559, E0 $4.159 and the soy-diesel was $4.599. A guy was filling his truck with diesel and came walking back with a couple parer towels from the dispenser on the pole. He said I am wiping my tears away....they tell me that's why the put the towles next to the pump.

I fail to see why any one would buy a diesel pick up espescialy in our cold Canadian climate.I hear guys saying they had to change pumps or other diesel related parts continualy.
I bought a used1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 318 motor in 2003 I was leery because the transmissions and front ends were supposed to be problem prone.I will be taking it off the road because it has severe body cancer.
It was one of the best vehicles I ever owned it now has 490618 kilometers on it which is roughly 300000 miles every thing still works except for the air conditioning and the high beam indicator wont stay on high beam.
This is what has went wrong over the years garbage disc front brakes changed 5 times the back drums still have original pads 3 front wheel bearings I just put a patch on the original muffler last year.I had a leak at the water pump so when my mechanic went to change it he suggested we change the timing gears and chain. one front end part and a couple brake lines.I had no fuel related issues except for cleaning a sensor the alternator and starter are original .
The only other vehicle that was as reliable was my 88 Mazda B2000 it suffered body cancer as well and was forced from the road with 375000 kliks.
Both these vehicles used a litre between oil change and both never failed to start with out being plugged even at -40.
Kash

I fail to see why any one would buy a diesel pick up espescialy in our cold Canadian climate.I hear guys saying they had to change pumps or other diesel related parts continualy.
I bought a used1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 318 motor in 2003 I was leery because the transmissions and front ends were supposed to be problem prone.I will be taking it off the road because it has severe body cancer.
It was one of the best vehicles I ever owned it now has 490618 kilometers on it which is roughly 300000 miles every thing still works except for the air conditioning and the high beam indicator wont stay on high beam.
This is what has went wrong over the years garbage disc front brakes changed 5 times the back drums still have original pads 3 front wheel bearings I just put a patch on the original muffler last year.I had a leak at the water pump so when my mechanic went to change it he suggested we change the timing gears and chain. one front end part and a couple brake lines.I had no fuel related issues except for cleaning a sensor the alternator and starter are original .
The only other vehicle that was as reliable was my 88 Mazda B2000 it suffered body cancer as well and was forced from the road with 375000 kliks.
Both these vehicles used a litre between oil change and both never failed to start with out being plugged even at -40.
Kash

The Dodges with the Cummins have front end issues. Maybe twice the weight of that 318.

I have a '98 Chevy on ton with the 454. A buddy has an 03 Dodge/Cummins. Actually pretty comparable trucks, we have similar payload and towing capacities, and can keep up with each other just fine, loaded and on hills.

He gets twice the MPG my truck does. That's it, that's why people buy them.

The Dodges with the Cummins have front end issues. Maybe twice the weight of that 318.

I have a '98 Chevy on ton with the 454. A buddy has an 03 Dodge/Cummins. Actually pretty comparable trucks, we have similar payload and towing capacities, and can keep up with each other just fine, loaded and on hills.

He gets twice the MPG my truck does. That's it, that's why people buy them.
For a short time I had a Ford F350 4 door with a V10 and you did not pass many gas stations. It is now my Ex- wife's truck

For a short time I had a Ford F350 4 door with a V10 and you did not pass many gas stations. It is now my Ex- wife's truck

There's a reason my truck got 3k miles put on it last year, and my daily driver commuter got 20k miles put on it last year. 9mpg vs. 28mpg.

There's a reason my truck got 3k miles put on it last year, and my daily driver commuter got 20k miles put on it last year. 9mpg vs. 28mpg.
When my oldest son was 15 he was dead set on a diesel. He ended up with a F350 4 door long bed with a 7.3. He was bullheaded and poured fuel and money in it. Then his great grandfather gave him a Caviler. Guess which one he drove then 😀

When my oldest son was 15 he was dead set on a diesel. He ended up with a F350 4 door long bed with a 7.3. He was bullheaded and poured fuel and money in it. Then his great grandfather gave him a Caviler. Guess which one he drove then 😀

I need to retinker my diesel swapped Yota, and start driving it again. 22-24mpg, and I actually enjoy driving it, unlike my Subaru.

Latest posts

Back