Done with bad fuel !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey wait a minute I thought Illinois had that market cornered:)

This is not a joke ever winter a local radio station has a contest and awards money to the person that is first to spot and document the biggest pothole.

We used to have weight embargoes on our county blacktops from March 15 to June 1. In some cases we were limited to 10,000lbs. It appears they gave up as we have to haul grain and livestock. The other issue is say it is april 10th a road needs fixed that has a 10,000 lb limit on it. Just what equipent can you haul there to fix it....?

I also hear you folks in Massachusetts have some type of warranty/lemon law on the selling of used vehicles. They way it was explained to me by a fine gentleman it sounded like well a real pain in you know what.
Yeah , winter load restrictions are fact of life up North here . Unfortunately Canada 's secondary highway infrastructure is landmine of potholes & surface errosion cracks . Our primary highways in the larger urban centres in the South , East & West are considerable better in the other Provinces . I remember my older cousin building a hard tail boulevard cruiser back in the day , it survived a mth and he redesigned the frame to a full working rear suspension pronto lol. ;)

What engine was that? There were some that you literally did not want to touch the plugs for the exact reasons you mentioned. I had a 2003 F250 with a 5.4L that went 180,000 without a plug change but all my Dodges I had to replace plugs several times. I am not saying it was a Dodge problem though just an experience.

I do think it is funny how it used to be when you went to change plugs all you needed to do was pop the hood. Now it some trucks you have to remove/lift the cab
Sad but very true , & or loosen motor mounts etc . :crazy2:

I will have to disagree. Engines have had fuel related issues since the first one was built. As I have said many times change is inevitable and needed. Folks can either adapt to the change or go on the internet and complain about it. There are many changes I do not like but I have adapted to them. I want to adapt to some of them but I have no other option.
Does the reference to "sour fuel " back in the 60 & 70's not ring a bell , any fuel loses octane & other volatile properties over time .

The neighbor down the road had an air powered spark plug cleaner. Go find one of those in a shop today. We had a 1949 IH TD-9 dozer tht satrted on gas and then you switched to diesel. You had to darn near clean the plugs every time you wanted to start it. Finally we gave up and just blocked the blade up and then gave it a "pull start"....I miss that dozer
Remember media blaster , shop spark plug cleaners during my apprentiship in the late 60 's very well brother !

Yeah , winter load restrictions are fact of life up North here . Unfortunately Canada 's secondary highway infrastructure is landmine of potholes & surface errosion cracks . Our primary highways in the larger urban centres in the South , East & West are considerable better in the other Provinces . I remember my older cousin building a hard tail boulevard cruiser back in the day , it survived a mth and he redesigned the frame to a full working rear suspension pronto lol. ;)
I bet his tailbone thanked him

Hey wait a minute I thought Illinois had that market cornered:)

This is not a joke ever winter a local radio station has a contest and awards money to the person that is first to spot and document the biggest pothole.

We used to have weight embargoes on our county blacktops from March 15 to June 1. In some cases we were limited to 10,000lbs. It appears they gave up as we have to haul grain and livestock. The other issue is say it is april 10th a road needs fixed that has a 10,000 lb limit on it. Just what equipent can you haul there to fix it....?

I also hear you folks in Massachusetts have some type of warranty/lemon law on the selling of used vehicles. They way it was explained to me by a fine gentleman it sounded like well a real pain in you know what.
It is true about the Lemon law. It helps people from getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers and private sellers that sell junk.

I have a Champion sand blast cabinet spark plug cleaner in my shop,I bought it from an old corner gas station I use it all the time.
I owned a TD9 with blade and winch about 35 years ago it was my first machine I used for cut and skid logging.The old TD9 forced you to learn to be a good cutter because there was no fairlead or bunt plate for the winch you dragged the trees at the butts on ground level all your stumps had to be close to the ground and the trees you fell had to be in a pretty straight line
I can picture it in my head like it was yesterday you would pull up to the strip its -40F your tires feel like their square there is no wind at that temp and there sits the TD9.You get in the seat hit gas start and she barely rolls over and then she starts hitting on a couple and after a few minutes shes running smooth on gas you head to the heat of the truck and have a smoke and a coffee while she warms up.
After you figure shes warmed up enough you go back and throw the lever to run on diesel all you hear is poof and a single smoke ring comes out the vertical exhaust with no wind it rises and gets bigger and bigger then another poof and slowly the poofs get closer till shes running on all cylinders,
Now your off to the face to pick up the first load of 10 Black Spruce you fell yesterday at quitting time.
Bill I was lucky the old Frenchman I bought the dozer from gave me good advice MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE TD9 ON GAS FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE YOU SHUT HER DOWN FOR THE DAY.
Best advice I ever got for the TD9 because it cleaned the spark plugs and chambers.
Kash

I just developed a miss on my 2003 F-150 and had to replace the first spark plug on that after 160k miles. (Only reason I haven't replaced them sooner is because I've heard that job on this engine can be a freakin nightmare, with galled/seized threads, plugs breaking off, etc etc. )

Even after 160k miles, the spark plug didn't look that bad! LOL

I was surprised there was anything left. (It turned out it was the coil pack for that cylinder that was bad and I apparently could have continued using the plug LOL)
The coil failed because it had to jump an excessive gap. Changing the plugs at a reasonable mileage would've prevented that. Coils aren't built to handle the huge power they put out, while jumping a massive gap. Every .001" gap increase requires another 1 kV to bridge it.

Oh no wait a minute... according to some these fuel and maintenace issues did not occur "back in the day" :) I say IF you can find cars in the bone yard go check the odometer. Years ago 100,000 was worn out......today 100,000 is just getting broken in.
As a mechanic, I wholeheartedly disagree.Years ago, automobiles had FIVE DIGIT odometers - you can't believe a single one, as any one of them in the boneyard had spun that odometer over countless times. You have no way of knowing! They were frequently rolled back, too, or sold at "Fifty thousand mile" cars, when the odometer was on its SECOND trip around. That's a FACT.

My dad put 100k miles on his '66 Mustang in 2 years flat. It was hardly worn out. My grandpa put 200k+ miles on a '50 Ford traveling back and forth from MA to Detroit for work, and taking the family on a month-long roadtrip across the USA from coast to coast, among a half million other trips. Still ran like a top when he sold it.

I used to have a '72 El Camino I bought in Phoenix when I lived there. Drove that thing back and forth to NoCal countless times, drove to MX, then drove cross-country pulling a U-Haul with a motorcycle and everything I owned at the time in it at 4k RPM across the entire country over the course of 5 days. This was after it was driven years in a poor state of tune. $300 in parts from the store, and she was chirping 2nd gear. I drove that thing 11 years, and it was still running PERFECTLY 11 years ago when I sold it.

I've got an '86 Grand Marquis I've owned for 20 years. Just rolled over 290k miles - original engine, transmission, rear end, power steering pump, and in-tank electric fuel pump. Try getting that kind of life out of anything built the past 15 model years without major engine work. Wifey commutes 70 miles a day in it for 3 seasons. Gets parked winters, that's why it hasn't dissolved yet.

I saw a 2009 Silverado with 235 miles on the clock belching enough smoke out the tailpipe to fog out a garage to ZERO visibility. My own '07 Silverado started burning oil at 50k miles, brakes pulsated at FORTY miles, ball joints failed at 38k miles. Strut failed at 50k, hub bearings failed at 60k, rear end failed at 97k, transmission failed at 103k, not to mention the incessant squeaks and rattles this thing had from day 1 - louder than the 266k mile '94 K1500 I sold to get this!

My buddy's '12 Camaro V6 engine GRENADED spectacularly at 50k miles. Dealer rebuilt it under warranty, and it blew up AGAIN! Saw a brand new Corvette with FORTY miles on the clock with a valve embedded in one of its pistons. I have hundreds of stories just like this. Saw an '18 Silverado blow a transfer case. Saw a brand new Ram diesel SNAP a transfer case IN HALF! Saw a Jeep with the gears blown right out of the rear diff at 2k miles. Saw a new Silverado shoot rods out the block before the 1st oil change.

You should see the stories in professional auto technician forums that aren't visible to the general public.

The 1959 Lincoln used SIX coats of paint, while my Silverado got scratched to the primer by a forsythia bush.

Just because it's "new" or "modern" doesn't mean it's BETTER.

Here's a '00 Ford Focus - dropped a valve seat into the combustion chamber:
CA653CC0-7694-482E-9F77-0BE5B52C2D8F.jpeg28EAD2A5-2568-469E-B41F-7EC9D4BDF8FC.jpeg9D1E8427-A446-40BE-BB72-CFACE02AAB57.jpeg

Here's my buddy's '97 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 engine just over 100k miles:BEA83C1F-3615-4B5E-8B66-AB553C3498D2.jpeg

View attachment 855FE0A6-6814-46C4-949D-755ADA9A43C6.mov

Here's a set of failed Active Fuel Management (4-cylinder mode) lifters out of a 5.3 LS V8 at around 100k miles:

265C5B99-B7D4-43BB-B744-4E393DBA622C.jpeg

Might have been that Corvette I spoke of - I can't remember where this one came from ...
E847F33B-AEE9-4C45-8765-ED021EC957DB_1_105_c.jpeg

I'd take ANY vehicle built before 1973 over the utter garbage produced today. I've got more, but the website has limited bandwidth ...

Might have been that Corvette I spoke of - I can't remember where this one came from ...
View attachment 1010692
I had a Pontiac 400 do that when I lost the timing chain in a '69 Goat. Apparently the shock broke the collar on the harmonic balancer, too -- chunks of which then went down into the pan and got chowed by the rods and crank. Made a real mess.

At the time, I just thought it ran out of gas.

I have a Champion sand blast cabinet spark plug cleaner in my shop,I bought it from an old corner gas station I use it all the time.
I owned a TD9 with blade and winch about 35 years ago it was my first machine I used for cut and skid logging.The old TD9 forced you to learn to be a good cutter because there was no fairlead or bunt plate for the winch you dragged the trees at the butts on ground level all your stumps had to be close to the ground and the trees you fell had to be in a pretty straight line
I can picture it in my head like it was yesterday you would pull up to the strip its -40F your tires feel like their square there is no wind at that temp and there sits the TD9.You get in the seat hit gas start and she barely rolls over and then she starts hitting on a couple and after a few minutes shes running smooth on gas you head to the heat of the truck and have a smoke and a coffee while she warms up.
After you figure shes warmed up enough you go back and throw the lever to run on diesel all you hear is poof and a single smoke ring comes out the vertical exhaust with no wind it rises and gets bigger and bigger then another poof and slowly the poofs get closer till shes running on all cylinders,
Now your off to the face to pick up the first load of 10 Black Spruce you fell yesterday at quitting time.
Bill I was lucky the old Frenchman I bought the dozer from gave me good advice MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE TD9 ON GAS FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE YOU SHUT HER DOWN FOR THE DAY.
Best advice I ever got for the TD9 because it cleaned the spark plugs and chambers.
Kash
We had a tough enough time getting her going when it was 70 let alone when it was cold. Obviously we never see days as cold as you do, not by a long shot. If it ever did get to 40 below there is no way I would be out running equipment unless it was an emergency

We had a tough enough time getting her going when it was 70 let alone when it was cold. Obviously we never see days as cold as you do, not by a long shot. If it ever did get to 40 below there is no way I would be out running equipment unless it was an emergency
Believe me brother when the 💩 hits the fan you would be surprised what you can adapt too lol. I remember back in the early 60's on the farm firing up the ole Massey Harris and un plugging the block heater on cold Feb morning to plow the 100 ' main drive . Didn't relish the thought but after stoking the 2 Ashley parlour stoves & main Findley Kitchen cook stove off I went -40 or not . Hell us boys split wood in -25 however that was a different era ;)

How do you folks sell vehicles that are in obvious need of repair then.
That's why auto mechanical certification requirement ensure that vehicles are reasonably safe to be on the roads . However faulty heaters , a.c. or other luxury items that routinely fail are not covered normally after your basic warranty period . I wish the lemon law applied here after having to replace the K & H frame on a previous 2010 Dodge Caiber twice & an assortment of multi links & bushings every 2 yrs in 160 ,000 K . Also the starter relay hidden behind the inner fender wheel driver side splash shield . The actual dealer stated that it did not have lmao . :blob2:

As a mechanic, I wholeheartedly disagree.Years ago, automobiles had FIVE DIGIT odometers - you can't believe a single one, as any one of them in the boneyard had spun that odometer over countless times. You have no way of knowing! They were frequently rolled back, too, or sold at "Fifty thousand mile" cars, when the odometer was on its SECOND trip around. That's a FACT.

My dad put 100k miles on his '66 Mustang in 2 years flat. It was hardly worn out. My grandpa put 200k+ miles on a '50 Ford traveling back and forth from MA to Detroit for work, and taking the family on a month-long roadtrip across the USA from coast to coast, among a half million other trips. Still ran like a top when he sold it.

I used to have a '72 El Camino I bought in Phoenix when I lived there. Drove that thing back and forth to NoCal countless times, drove to MX, then drove cross-country pulling a U-Haul with a motorcycle and everything I owned at the time in it at 4k RPM across the entire country over the course of 5 days. This was after it was driven years in a poor state of tune. $300 in parts from the store, and she was chirping 2nd gear. I drove that thing 11 years, and it was still running PERFECTLY 11 years ago when I sold it.

I've got an '86 Grand Marquis I've owned for 20 years. Just rolled over 290k miles - original engine, transmission, rear end, power steering pump, and in-tank electric fuel pump. Try getting that kind of life out of anything built the past 15 model years without major engine work. Wifey commutes 70 miles a day in it for 3 seasons. Gets parked winters, that's why it hasn't dissolved yet.

I saw a 2009 Silverado with 235 miles on the clock belching enough smoke out the tailpipe to fog out a garage to ZERO visibility. My own '07 Silverado started burning oil at 50k miles, brakes pulsated at FORTY miles, ball joints failed at 38k miles. Strut failed at 50k, hub bearings failed at 60k, rear end failed at 97k, transmission failed at 103k, not to mention the incessant squeaks and rattles this thing had from day 1 - louder than the 266k mile '94 K1500 I sold to get this!

My buddy's '12 Camaro V6 engine GRENADED spectacularly at 50k miles. Dealer rebuilt it under warranty, and it blew up AGAIN! Saw a brand new Corvette with FORTY miles on the clock with a valve embedded in one of its pistons. I have hundreds of stories just like this. Saw an '18 Silverado blow a transfer case. Saw a brand new Ram diesel SNAP a transfer case IN HALF! Saw a Jeep with the gears blown right out of the rear diff at 2k miles. Saw a new Silverado shoot rods out the block before the 1st oil change.

You should see the stories in professional auto technician forums that aren't visible to the general public.

The 1959 Lincoln used SIX coats of paint, while my Silverado got scratched to the primer by a forsythia bush.

Just because it's "new" or "modern" doesn't mean it's BETTER.

Here's a '00 Ford Focus - dropped a valve seat into the combustion chamber:
View attachment 1010684View attachment 1010685View attachment 1010686

Here's my buddy's '97 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 engine just over 100k miles:View attachment 1010689

View attachment 1010687

Here's a set of failed Active Fuel Management (4-cylinder mode) lifters out of a 5.3 LS V8 at around 100k miles:

View attachment 1010691

View attachment 1010692

I'd take ANY vehicle built before 1973 over the utter garbage produced today. I've got more, but the website has limited bandwidth ...
To a degree yes , some things today are throw away , back in the day you refurbished components , rewire a generator or alternator or starter , replace bushing , bearings , turn down rotors etc . Today you don't , just replace , replace . Labour cost have gotten so high its cost prohibitive to refurbish . I do though remember 100,000 miles often being the limit for the majority or day to day daily drivers . Especially in the 50's thru the 70's . The high compression engines of the day wore out sooner & engine components tolerances did not lend themselves to longitivity to today's standards . Sure , I have seen vehicles today with 270,000 k still on the road , highway miles & 160 k commutes are the norm in big city routines . But by average I tend to agree with Bills analysis today's technology does give longer vehicle life expectancy , especially rust perforation prevention although perhaps I should have thrown the Caliber away after the 1st suspension & subframe component replacement ! :laughing: P.S. I do understand Smittys overall rational however stop & go traffic kills engine & drivelibe components , 70 miles daily ensures proper operating temperature & reduction of thermal cycles that stress internal components .

I am just wondering how folks that live in areas with lemon laws sell vehicles that need repair. I had a 02 Dodge 2500 that was on its 5 th transmission and it was bad. If we had a lemon law that could not be sold.

Latest posts

Back