Done with bad fuel !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just wondering how folks that live in areas with lemon laws sell vehicles that need repair. I had a 02 Dodge 2500 that was on its 5 th transmission and it was bad. If we had a lemon law that could not be sold.
Wow Bill , my 2001 2500 still kicking although it has a Cummins & only 75,000 original k . Different transmission option apparently lol .

I had a 02 Dodge 2500 that was on its 5 th transmission and it was bad.
LOL, about 15 years ago I was in the market for a new truck, and I asked an auto mechanic what brands/models he would recommend or flag as no-go. He said the MOPAR truck transmissions were a complete disaster and "I wouldn't give you a nickel for one."

Wow Bill , my 2001 2500 still kicking although it has a Cummins & only 75,000 original k . Different transmission option apparently lol .
Yes I believe the diesel engine came with a different transmission. In this area the Dodges of that era seemed to have a lot of tranny issues. I had the original rebuilt 4 times. After to hat I said no more and told told them to find a different core. It was tough finding one. It lasted quite awhile longer but started slipping out of overdrive. I suspect the issues were related to the shop not replacing the torque converter in the the beginning.

LOL, about 15 years ago I was in the market for a new truck, and I asked an auto mechanic what brands/models he would recommend or flag as no-go. He said the MOPAR truck transmissions were a complete disaster and "I wouldn't give you a nickel for one."
Oh I was told by several not to buy one but at the time the GSA representative would not let the F250 go for what I was willing to pay. When the Dodge got parked I bought a F250 though.

I've sold hundreds of vehicles over the past 30 years, never had an issue. You'd have to blatantly screw someone in order for that law to come in play. The buyer would have to be a real jackass to come after you, especially on a worn out, high mile vehicle with lots of rust. If it's $700 and below, the law doesn't apply.

It's very rare that someone would use it against a private seller - the law is mainly to corral used car dealers, many of whom are shysters. MA isn't exactly a hotbed of morality ...

To a degree yes , some things today are throw away , back in the day you refurbished components , rewire a generator or alternator or starter , replace bushing , bearings , turn down rotors etc . Today you don't , just replace , replace . Labour cost have gotten so high its cost prohibitive to refurbish . I do though remember 100,000 miles often being the limit for the majority or day to day daily drivers . Especially in the 50's thru the 70's . The high compression engines of the day wore out sooner & engine components tolerances did not lend themselves to longitivity to today's standards . Sure , I have seen vehicles today with 270,000 k still on the road , highway miles & 160 k commutes are the norm in big city routines . But by average I tend to agree with Bills analysis today's technology does give longer vehicle life expectancy , especially rust perforation prevention although perhaps I should have thrown the Caliber away after the 1st suspension & subframe component replacement ! :laughing: P.S. I do understand Smittys overall rational however stop & go traffic kills engine & drivelibe components , 70 miles daily ensures proper operating temperature & reduction of thermal cycles that stress internal components .
It's more parts quality than the kind of driving I'm doing. My 2007 Silverado saw plenty of highway miles, yet started burning oil at 50k miles. The Marquis is at 290k, doesn't burn a drop.

I've sold hundreds of vehicles over the past 30 years, never had an issue. You'd have to blatantly screw someone in order for that law to come in play. The buyer would have to be a real jackass to come after you, especially on a worn out, high mile vehicle with lots of rust. If it's $700 and below, the law doesn't apply.

It's very rare that someone would use it against a private seller - the law is mainly to corral used car dealers, many of whom are shysters. MA isn't exactly a hotbed of morality ...
I appreciate the explanation. It would just scare me to sell a used vehicle. I have never traded one in. The majority get driven until it they are scrap. I have sold a few but with the exception of a tough ole 80 Regal all the others had known issues. I had three cases where I sold a vehicle with none issues that were clearly disclosed to the buyers and in each case they ignored what I told them.

Yep, they don't built anything like that anymore. I've already had to replace the door hinges on my Silverado at barely over 100k miles. I just did the pins and bushings on the Marquis 5 years ago at 230k miles, or year 32. MASSIVE differences in quality anywhere you look between the two. Thing is still running the ORIGINAL in-tank fuel pump at 290k+ miles, year 36! Impressive to say the least, especially considering I had forgotten to change the fuel filter the first 10 years we owned the car. Thing was plugged nearly solid, yet didn't damage the pump at all. AMAZING!!

I've never traded anything in either. That Silverado was the first new vehicle I've ever bought in my life, outside of motorcycles, dirt bikes, and ATVs. After that experience, and what I have to fix on newer stuff every day, that will be the last new vehicle I ever buy.

My next "new" vehicle will have a build date prior to 1973, and I'll build it myself the way I want it. 👍

Yep, they don't built anything like that anymore. I've already had to replace the door hinges on my Silverado at barely over 100k miles. I just did the pins and bushings on the Marquis 5 years ago at 230k miles, or year 32. MASSIVE differences in quality anywhere you look between the two. Thing is still running the ORIGINAL in-tank fuel pump at 290k+ miles, year 36! Impressive to say the least, especially considering I had forgotten to change the fuel filter the first 10 years we owned the car. Thing was plugged nearly solid, yet didn't damage the pump at all. AMAZING!!

I've never traded anything in either. That Silverado was the first new vehicle I've ever bought in my life, outside of motorcycles, dirt bikes, and ATVs. After that experience, and what I have to fix on newer stuff every day, that will be the last new vehicle I ever buy.

My next "new" vehicle will have a build date prior to 1973, and I'll build it myself the way I want it. 👍
Why 1973 in particular?

That's when things started the downward slide. Frames got thinner, as did sheet metal. Build quality started to suffer across most models. If you look at a '72 El Camino or Chevelle next to the '76 model, there are glaring differences EVERYWHERE from the suspension up. I prefer things to be overbuilt, rather than "value-added" engineered. Then in '76, emissions choked up stock engines, and created more problems. I don't really factor than in, since all of that can be easily tossed in the trash, and the engine made to breathe the way it should. Ends up more efficient that way anyway.

That said, I'd take anything built from '73-'94 over anything built in the 21st century, without question (Except econoboxes - those were always complete junk through those years).

It's more parts quality than the kind of driving I'm doing. My 2007 Silverado saw plenty of highway miles, yet started burning oil at 50k miles. The Marquis is at 290k, doesn't burn a drop.
The only issue I have run into is with 5.3 litre chevs . Yes , they all consume oil , nothing visually apparent but running the recommended 5w30 you drop a few quarts every 1000 k or so . I run 10-30 and its not as bad . I had previously a 2001 Dodge 1500 heavy duty 4x4 with the 360 Magnum that had over 180, 000 k never burned a drop . Most of my buddies had F150 with 302 or 351 same no oil consumption , a few older 1991 era 302 had bad rings (spin in the land) design issue causing blow by though to the prefilter . Since your a mechanic , you see the worst of the deficiencies 1st hand apparently .

That's when things started the downward slide. Frames got thinner, as did sheet metal. Build quality started to suffer across most models. If you look at a '72 El Camino or Chevelle next to the '76 model, there are glaring differences EVERYWHERE from the suspension up. I prefer things to be overbuilt, rather than "value-added" engineered. Then in '76, emissions choked up stock engines, and created more problems. I don't really factor than in, since all of that can be easily tossed in the trash, and the engine made to breathe the way it should. Ends up more efficient that way anyway.

That said, I'd take anything built from '73-'94 over anything built in the 21st century, without question (Except econoboxes - those were always complete junk through those years).
Yeah I hear you , unspring weight reductions were the start of the fuel conservation measures , then choke the engines for emmision reduction control . After the sheet metal were thinned out to the max they began substituting plastic & urethane body parts . I'am just about to recieve an new Hyundai Kona , solid vehicle cvt transmission , pretty well bullet proof , conventional rear suspension no multi link crap , 8 yr engine power train warranty . Unfortunate that we cannot produce stellar automobiles within North America , sad that Korea is producing better quality vehicles today . My Parents & Grand parents would roll over in their grave hearing that 3rd world countries could out produce us...again !

I put on the Bill of Sale that it is for sale as parts or repair. Sold as is as seen as shown. This bypasses that law.
That is exactly what I was asking in regards to . I knew there had to be a work around. So in essence the law means nothing in a private sale. I am assuming if the buyer will not sign a bill of sale stating it is in need of repair and voiding the warranty you can tell them to pound salt?

Yeah I hear you , unspring weight reductions were the start of the fuel conservation measures , then choke the engines for emmision reduction control . After the sheet metal were thinned out to the max they began substituting plastic & urethane body parts . I'am just about to recieve an new Hyundai Kona , solid vehicle cvt transmission , pretty well bullet proof , conventional rear suspension no multi link crap , 8 yr engine power train warranty . Unfortunate that we cannot produce stellar automobiles within North America , sad that Korea is producing better quality vehicles today . My Parents & Grand parents would roll over in their grave hearing that 3rd world countries could out produce us...again !
They're all junk today. Some just have less expensive issues than others.

You're in luck, though. I have a friend with years experience repairing problem children on Staten Island as a mobile programmer, who know has a position at the other end of a technician's help line. He says the brands he gets the least amount of calls on at the moment are Hyundai & Subaru. Of course he's getting out-of-warranty calls, so you won't know how good '22 or '23 models are for roughly 3-5 years when they start showing up at the independents.

They're all junk today. Some just have less expensive issues than others.

You're in luck, though. I have a friend with years experience repairing problem children on Staten Island as a mobile programmer, who know has a position at the other end of a technician's help line. He says the brands he gets the least amount of calls on at the moment are Hyundai & Subaru. Of course he's getting out-of-warranty calls, so you won't know how good '22 or '23 models are for roughly 3-5 years when they start showing up at the independents.
Yeah , my wifeys car is a 2023 model yr. The dealer here is very good & I notoriously dislike dealers normally . The Kona had a bad 2 yr run of engine issues 2015 -2017 I believe ( excessive oil consumption & thrown rods , piston etc. ) This is a new generation engine 2nd yr out , I am thinking bad cylinder bore alignment issues was the route cause or poor mettalurgy issues , who knows . Yep , I guess you could sum it up as " junk overall " in reality , for us long in the tooth were a custom to ! lol.

Back