Done with bad fuel !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Gasahol" was introduced in the late 1970's . A 10% blend has been standard for around 30 years although not mandated as it is currently in some states. 15%, 20%, and 30% blends have been around for 30 years but not standard. 85% picked up speed about 20 years ago. The entire time no one has been forced to use it even in "mandated" areas
"No one has been forced to use gasohol."

True, no one put a gun to people's heads and said they had to burn gasohol in their cars.

They could walk instead! Or crawl. Or pogo-stick. Or walk on their hands! Or flap their arms and fly!

Or they could buy a gasoline tanker and drive 350 miles to a source of non-ethanol gasoline so that they could buy enough of it so that they would have some leftover by the time they got back home, so that they could put some into their car. Lather, rinse, repeat.

People have PLENTY of choice about how they fuel their vehicles!
That's funny, since you can't get ANY ethanol free gasoline in your car here in Massachusetts. Might not be illegal - not sure there - but they certainly don't make it easy for you. Your choices are an airport (Which won't fit your EPA nozzle guard in your filler neck, and would destroy your converter with lead even if you could), a marina ... if you can get your car to float over to the pump, buy the canned stuff at Home Depot, Ace, or some other hardware store or OPE dealer for $15-$40 a gallon in various sized cans up to 5 gallons, or burn up 20 gallons driving 160 miles to the nearest ethanol-free pump out of state.

So, explain to me WHY MA doesn't have a SINGLE gas station in the state with ethanol-free gasoline? We're nearly 100% leftist-democrat run from the Beacon Hill statehouse, just FYI.

And before you come back like everyone else does with the Pure-Gas.org link showing ethanol free gas in MA, just know that NOT A SINGLE LISTING is at a pump outside of an airport. Show me one that is - I dare you to try! Good luck running 100LL in your car from the airport ... if it was built after 1975. Let me know how well it runs in 500 miles.

Yeah, I was aware of gasohol - I remember it being offered at one station in Worcester for about 3 months. When nobody bought the crap, it fizzled out.

In every state you still have the option of burning non-ethanol fuels. Read what I wrote earlier. There are many options out there but you cannot be a lazy whinning ass you have to actually do some work to get them. I will make it simple for you. Pick one state and I will find you non ethanol fuel
You are completely, 100% WRONG in this statement. SHOW ME AN ETHANOL-FREE PUMP IN MA.

I'll wait ...

You are completely, 100% WRONG in this statement. SHOW ME AN ETHANOL-FREE PUMP IN MA.

I'll wait ...

Hey I'm not from your state, never been to your state, but I shall now tell you how wrong you are, based on Google and Google alone.....

(Sarcasm, for the humor impaired.)

Ok I will accept that challenge and I sincerely appreciate that you named a particular state.

Here are 227 locations but I cannot confirm all sell to the public. https://www.airport-data.com/usa-airports/state/Massachusetts-3.html

Here is another option https://www.seekonkspeedway.com/
Nice - not only are you wrong, but you lack reading comprehension. Did you read ANY of my prior posts on 100LL? Do you not realize what happens to modern vehicles * IF * you could fit the 100LL nozzle in your car?

And Seekonk is super convenient. I have a gas station 2 miles from my house. Why should I have to drive SEVENTY plus miles to pay $8 a gallon for race fuel my truck doesn't require, just to fill my tank ... which will be 25% GONE by the time I make it home?

WHY does MA make things so difficult for EVERYONE? Just follow the money ...

I'd be curious how many people have actually driven to an airport for the purpose of buying gasoline (aircraft owners excluded)

I can picture the exit signs coming into an airport now.

Drop off's 》

Arrivals 》

Long term parking 》

Short term parking 》

Ethanol free fill ups 》

I'd be curious how many people have actually driven to an airport for the purpose of buying gasoline (aircraft owners excluded)

Drop off's 》

Arrivals 》

Long term parking 》

Short term parking 》

Ethanol free fill ups 》
I have I bought some for my saws a few times from desperation. You cant put it in cars it will burn up the Cat. It sure aint right for a car or truck.

You ARE wrong. There's not a SINGLE ethanol free pump along ANY Massachusetts roadway where CARS can fill up.

Drop off's 》

Arrivals 》

Long term parking 》

Short term parking 》

Ethanol free fill ups 》
Well I guess you live in a urban area so I can understand your confusion. Here it is
1. Run 70mph
2. Put on the binders.
3. Hang a right.
4. Go 300ft
5. Jump out
6. Slide card.
7. Insert nozzle.
8. Fill tank.
9. Drive 300ft
10. Stomp the pedal and go home.

How do you buy fuel?

We can also just call and order a bulk delivery but since non-ethanol is available at every station here that is not cost effective.

Drop off's 》

Arrivals 》

Long term parking 》

Short term parking 》

Ethanol free fill ups 》

I've bought 100LL once to try, and Jet A bunches of times, from a smallish local airfield. Drive right up, leave the fuel can outside the building, walk into flight services, and ask. They asked me to sign a paper saying I wasn't going to burn it in my diesel truck(at 3x the cost of diesel back then, unlikely), then they'd run out to the fuel truck on the tarmac and fill my can up. They specifically said they weren't asking any questions, and were assuming I was running it in a turbine powered aircraft, and that was that. Been years since I've done that, no clue if they'd still fill a fuel can for me. I would definitely call before driving down there.

I tried the 100LL as a novelty, probably 20 years ago. It made a chainsaw run noticeably different, although back then I had no clue how to tune a saw. I ran the rest in my lawn mower, two stroke oil and all. It didn't care.

I collect camp stoves and kerosene lanterns, and Jet A is a good source for inexpensive, high quality kerosene. It does have some sulfur content, which can really stink in the wrong application.

I have I bought some for my saws a few times from desperation. You cant put it in cars it will burn up the Cat. It sure aint right for a car or truck.

What is the process like to get it? Years ago I did a job at our county airport. I observed the planes fueling up back by the main hangers which was a good bit from where the public would generally be allowed. Obtaining a few gas cans worth of fuel would be an interesting endeavor there.

What is the process like to get it? Years ago I did a job at our county airport. I observed the planes fueling up back by the main hangers which was a good bit from where the public would generally be allowed. Obtaining a few gas cans worth of fuel would be an interesting endeavor there.
Drive up with cans ask them is all around here anyway.

I'm sure eventually airplanes will switch to something unleaded entirely, but who knows when that'll be. It's not even about the octane anymore, it's about the huge numbers of old school 60's airplane engines that are still running, without hardened valve seats, which require leaded fuel to remain in regulatory compliance. Can't just find a 100 octane fuel that doesn't go bad and pour it in the tank, have to retrofit all those old engines with hardened valve seats, plus get the retrofit certified, plus get the new fuel certified, plus have all that happen to enough market share to actually create a demand for unleaded avgas. The mechanical work is no big deal, the red tape is a nightmare. I think some planes are certified to use basically non-E car gas, though.

Drive up with cans ask them is all around here anyway.
Exactly! Some want to whine and complain through a keyboard instead of just doing something about it. Rural airports, race tracks, tractor shows, it is out there but it requires more than whining it actully requires action. I live in the land of ethanol refiners and we still have no issue getting ethanol free gas.

Ethanol in itself is not the problem it is the operators who have no clue how to use it

Well I guess you live in a urban area so I can understand your confusion.

Nailed it.

20220813_160151.jpg

How do you buy fuel?
We've had this talk before. I burn through a lot more diesel than gasoline so I buy it (diesel) in bulk. It's a small tank (250 gallon) but fits my needs well so fuel isn't sitting for months at a time. I get it a few pennies cheaper than retail at the pump. Not a lot, but it adds up.
20220813_160653.jpg

As for gaoline I have a gas station just down the road from me that has a dedicated ethanol free pump so that is where I buy gas for my small equipment.
And this 89 with it's original fuel system really seems to like it better too.
20220813_161400.jpg

Nailed it.

We've had this talk before. I burn through a lot more diesel than gasoline so I buy it (diesel) in bulk. It's a small tank (250 gallon) but fits my needs well so fuel isn't sitting for months at a time. I get it a few pennies cheaper than retail at the pump. Not a lot, but it adds up.

As for gaoline I have a gas station just down the road from me that has a dedicated ethanol free pump so that is where I buy gas for my small equipment.
And this 89 with it's original fuel system really seems to like it better too.
So then how in your words is ethanol related to the devil?

As for diesel I hope you are not buying soy diesel and letting it sit. The soy diesel is fine just like ethanol is fine but neither should sit for long periods of time. I am not sure who but someone made a correlation between bad fuel and sour milk. How many folks go to the store and buy milk then let it sit for even a month? I am hoping zero. Ethanol fuel is an organic compound and has a shelf life. The folks that whine about ethanol are the ones who refuse to use it in a proper manner. Just like any perishable item you have to use it up in a timely manner. After several million miles and zero fuel issues I have had NO fuel issues when used properly.

Latest posts

Back