Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great purchase, you're going to like it...:cheers:

I've added a swivel wheel to the front leg of mine which makes it a lot easier to move around. My next upgrade will be to swap that wheel for a larger pneumatic double wheel with swivel and yoke. Imagine the front wheel of an airliner and the way a tug hooks to it to move.

I ran the gas engine for a couple seasons, then swapped in an electric motor. Easy enough to swap back, but I do the majority of my wood work on my own lot or in the shop. Sure is nice not having to listen to that gas engine...:cool2:

Got the splitter and set up for production, pictures prove it!
When I went to super split to pick it up I was surprised how small the shop is and how full of splitter parts it is. Paul said he builds about 300 a year.
Anyway about the splitter, it is awesome! I have split about 3 cord so far, as set up in the pictures it takes me about six minutes to go through a FEL full, two of those and the cart is full. Easily a cord an hour by myself. Splitting is by far the quickest and most enjoyable part of the process now. So far I have split pine, cherry, cedar, oak, birch, maple, and beach. The biggest round was about 40" dia with a three way split. Basically a 40" knot. The SS had no trouble splitting this piece, I did have trouble moving it around on the production table but no trouble splitting it. If you are on the fence about buying a SS because of people who say they can't split knotty woods I would say that is absolute BS and go for it. Personally I don't think knotty wood is worth splitting mostly because it takes much longer to split, you end up with a lot of slash at your feet, and the final product is hard to stack because it is not straight. I usually get really knotty pieces down to the size where it will fit in my wood boilers door then drop that in my "uglies" pile. They are ugly to look at but burn beautifully.
The machine does seem on initial impression to be under built but that is mostly because I have adjusted to seeing hydraulic splitters. Kind of like seeing a wide receiver after only seeing line men. It is well made with good attention to detail. You get what you pay for and although I am not happy about spending $2500 for a log splitter I am happy with the purchase.

Welcome to the club !!!!!

I had a brain fart the other day and decided to borrow a buddies V/H hydro. Man it was torture. I thought because i had to deal with some huge rounds I could roll them over and quarter them faster then noodling them. I forgot how little fun it is to run a hydro without a log lift.
I also forgot how to noodle properly as well. Stinks getting old, ya seem to forget what you forgot a few minutes ago... :msp_rolleyes:

Lets see...three cords.... Bet you might have gone through...say....a gallon of fuel....???? Gotta love that.

I'm looking at the Super Split & DR Splitter. My question is just how durable is it? My hydro might not be the prettiest or the fastest, but I know it can get the job done with little or no trouble. But that Super Split sure does look slick.

I'm looking at the Super Split & DR Splitter. My question is just how durable is it? My hydro might not be the prettiest or the fastest, but I know it can get the job done with little or no trouble. But that Super Split sure does look slick.

Mines at least 20 years old. There really isnt many parts Paul cant ship you n a day or two . Wear is a non issue when parts are readily available. I bet your pumps will fail long before my wheels do :msp_wink:.

I can easily move the SS around the backyard and through a narrow gate - something I couldn't do with some of the larger rentals I used.

It really moves through the wood too. It doesn't seem to like BIG pieces of wood, but my back doesn't like Big pieces either, so we get along well.

Wonder if I could keep up with my Fiskers? It is the X27! Always used muscle or hydro...I'd sure enjoy trying an SS. I don't think it would be practical for myself...in all the vid's everything I seen getting put on the table I don't split it just goes in the stacks for the OWB.
Congrats to the owner of his new SS...they are definitely a cool tool!

I was concerned with durability as well. In my mind the rack and pinion seemed to be a weak point. After looking around I couldn't believe how many 20 plus year old ss splitters I saw owned by people who split 100 cord or more per year. I did find some that had broken teeth on their pinions or a bent rack, but those were rare and the machines had hundreds if not thousands of cord through them. Also I did some parts price checks with Paul at super split and was happily surprised at how affordable parts are. The pinion was about $134, the flywheel cover about $120, I asked about some other parts as well nothing seemed gouged at all. It seems more and more manufacturers will sell their products at low profit margins or even a loss hoping to make it up when you need parts.
Finally about the DR vs SS. I went with the SS because for me the cost difference was negligible so what I was looking at was a proven product vs something new to market. Many of the DR owners ended up having trouble with their units and shipped them back which DR did take back, but you would still have the headache of the whole ordeal and be out the shipping costs. I would rather be splitting wood than dealing with that. Now DR has a new model that requires two hands to operate and will most likely have more growing pains. Finally read some of the posts from people who had DR's sent them back and switched to the SS. The one that sticks out was a guy who had two DR's sent them back and went to a SS HD, basically said there was no comparison the SS blew his mind.

No durability issues with the Super Split. Can't say the same for the DR.

SS is a great machine!

Ya know Harry ya bring up a good point. Paul.

SS is such a great little company and product because of Paul, wonder what kind of succession plan is in place for when the inevitable "time" comes.

His son is already working there, hopefully he likes the biz and has Pauls integrity. I think the biggest threat to SS's survivability has more to do with the law offices of Dewey, D##Kem, and Howe. The type that advertise during day time shows to people who should be at work but instead are sitting on their as%%% waiting for a government bail out.

Last edited:
His son is already working there, hopefully he likes the biz and has Pauls integrity. I think the biggest threat to SS's survivability has more to do with the law offices of Dewey, D##Kem, and Howe. The type that advertise during day time shows to people who should be at work but instead are sitting on their as%%% waiting for a government bail out.

Harry, i hear ya. I have little love for attorneys. But the real issue lies with the judges who actually hand out those settlements. Just because a snake bites you doesnt make it less or more of a snake....its still a lawer err ooops snake. The judges have laid ruin to this once great country, not the lazy. Just ask justice kennedy.

I am no expert, by any stretch! BUT, FWIW a few points I'll throw in the bag:

1. Everyone talks about cycle times and the speed of the SS. Well, if you REALLY look and study your time spent splitting logs, you will find that 80% of the time spent is spent FETCHING logs, or getting rid of split into a pile or stack, resetting/repostioning rounds to be split. The actual time spent waiting for the slowest cycle time, is minimal compared to the rest of the time. So the point is, the speed of the unit has little affect on the time it takes to split a bunch of wood.

2. I'm currently searching for a hydro splitter 20-30 ton. The Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton (supporter of this site) has a cycle time of 9.5 seconds. @whoever said you can't find a 20+ ton unit with a cycle time less than 15 seconds. And it looks reasonably priced, with some great features.

3. Those SS splitter look more dangerious than anything I EVER want in my yard, period. Just watching the video's of the guy splitting a few logs above this post, scares the hell out of me!! His hand/fingers are inches from a 20 ton ram sliding out (QUICKLY per your request!) toward his hand. NO THANKS!

Good luck.

1. Everyone talks about cycle times and the speed of the SS. Well, if you REALLY look and study your time spent splitting logs, you will find that 80% of the time spent is spent FETCHING logs, or getting rid of split into a pile or stack, resetting/repostioning rounds to be split. The actual time spent waiting for the slowest cycle time, is minimal compared to the rest of the time. So the point is, the speed of the unit has little affect on the time it takes to split a bunch of wood.

2. I'm currently searching for a hydro splitter 20-30 ton. The Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton (supporter of this site) has a cycle time of 9.5 seconds. @whoever said you can't find a 20+ ton unit with a cycle time less than 15 seconds. And it looks reasonably priced, with some great features.

3. Those SS splitter look more dangerious than anything I EVER want in my yard, period. Just watching the video's of the guy splitting a few logs above this post, scares the hell out of me!! His hand/fingers are inches from a 20 ton ram sliding out (QUICKLY per your request!) toward his hand. NO THANKS!

Good luck.

I like the SS...
Would you like me to send you a helmet for safety purposes??

Good luck.

You are correct most of the time splitting wood is in gathering and stacking, at least that is true for me now that I am using the SS.
The DHT splitters do seem like nicely made splitters and would suit most home owners nicely.
I don't believe the SS to be inherently dangerous. It does warrant some respect but the vast majority of users never have a problem. Far more people are hurt using chain saws than log splitters. Does that mean chain saws are dangerous, not really. People who are unfamiliar with what they are doing are dangerous.
The SS is not for everyone but I would never go back to hydraulic after operating the SS. Splitting is now my favorite part of the firewood equation with the possible exception of felling a tree or getting laid in front of a nice warm fire on a freezing cold night.

Good luck.
Lot more to it than speed! Super Split puts a huge smile on my face. :msp_smile:

And yes, the SS is not for everyone. Good luck finding what works best for you.

Here's my super splitter ! Hydros are only slow if you make them that way. This is actually one of many. never built a slow one.

Here's my super splitter ! Hydros are only slow if you make them that way. This is actually one of many. never built a slow one.

311656d1366836874-picture-196-medium-jpg

Yeah.. I will say you did a helluva job on that unit...
$$$$$$$$
But the good stuff sure ain't cheap...

Back