Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my super splitter ! Hydros are only slow if you make them that way. This is actually one of many. never built a slow one.

Nice work.

For us not able to build our own we have to pay. Ill go out on a limb and say thats roughly a 10k splitter. For that kinda skish i could buy three SS's and would bury you and the truck you have towing it.... Now if i could just find two more operators to win this bet....well heck we would both be at the bar in no time.

Seriously nice work though. In my dream world your splitter would be in front breaking down the big stuff and my SS would be off the side feeding the conveyor...

A

Here's my super splitter ! Hydros are only slow if you make them that way. This is actually one of many. never built a slow one.

That is a nice splitter and you should be proud of it but as pointed out by Angelo it would probably sell for a lot more than a SS.
Also looking at your pictures I am reminded of another reason I don't like 4-way wedges. the splits coming off are very inconsistent in size and there is a lot of slash.

Nice build. Pump size? HP? On my build that's where I failed, but I was on a tight budget.

311656d1366836874-picture-196-medium-jpg

Yeah.. I will say you did a helluva job on that unit...
$$$$$$$$
But the good stuff sure ain't cheap...

Except for the PowerHorse engine.......that splitter deserves a Honda ;)

Try finding times below 15 second cycle times on actual hydraulic splitters being offered on the market. Do they exist sure, can you find any with say 25 tons and under 10 second cycle times, that cost less than $2500? I doubt it.

How many of you wait for the entire cycle time before the wood has already split? I have an Iron and Oak which has a 12 second cycle (I believe) that rarely goes beyong 6 second to split a bolt.

How many of you wait for the entire cycle time before the wood has already split? I have an Iron and Oak which has a 12 second cycle (I believe) that rarely goes beyong 6 second to split a bolt.

With my old hydraulic I would cut the cycle short a lot of times thinking I could then split the rest of the way just using my hands to pry the split in half only to have a stringy piece hold up the split. I would then twist that piece around for a while, sometimes I could get them apart sometimes I would just give up and through the f'n thing into the pile. With the SS I often stop 1/4 or so into the cycle if I see it has made a clean split. The SS disengages very easily and quickly. Not sure how fast that would make the cycle time, somewhere in the blink of an eye range. When the pieces have strings I just let it go through its full two second cycle time.
I wonder how big of a pulley I can put on that engine and still get the rack to engage?

I never wait for a full cycle. Happens too fast! :msp_biggrin:

Really depends on the wood type and how "green" it is. I get a lot of red oak and that rarely needs a full stroke. Also if there is any hidden knots and how long the round was cut. Ash tends to split quick and straight for the most part as well. Now some pin and blackoaks are stringy sumbeaches. They get the full ride and the axe that sits next to the SS for that extra little love thats needed at times.

Except for the PowerHorse engine.......that splitter deserves a Honda ;)

The duromax spins the pump at 3600 RPM same as the honda,& they are both made in CHINA. Maybe you have more money than common sense? you could put a cummins diesel on it with the same results. I thought about painting the motor red & you would never know the difference. Hope this helps.

The duromax spins the pump at 3600 RPM same as the honda,& they are both made in CHINA. Maybe you have more money than common sense? you could put a cummins diesel on it with the same results. I thought about painting the motor red & you would never know the difference. Hope this helps.

After you buy the second blue pos, you would have spent the same as if you had bought one Honda....;) They must be that much cheaper cause the guy that makes them wants to do you a favor. Best of luck, nice splitter....:cheers:

PS...Honda engines are made in North Carolina with the exception of some of the larger horizontals which are assembled in Thailand....;)

Last edited:
Wonder if I could keep up with my Fiskers? It is the X27! Always used muscle or hydro...I'd sure enjoy trying an SS. I don't think it would be practical for myself...in all the vid's everything I seen getting put on the table I don't split it just goes in the stacks for the OWB.
Congrats to the owner of his new SS...they are definitely a cool tool!

Actually, I think the piece of equipment pictured in your signature space is the ideal tool for those tough to split nasties. :msp_wink: Ron

After you buy the second blue pos, you would have spent the same as if you had bought one Honda....;) They must be that much cheaper cause the guy that makes them wants to do you a favor. Best of luck, nice splitter....:cheers:

PS...Honda engines are made in North Carolina with the exception of some of the larger horizontals which are assembled in Thailand....;)

Huh?? First, there is NOTHING magical about Honda engines. I don't know how they ever got their rediculous following, but I've had the same exact problems with Honda engines as any other. If any small engine brand name has given me less grief than any other, it would be Yamaha, they have given me the best "luck". And that is abotu all it is, LUCK.

2nd, most small Honda engines are manufactured, and assembled in CHINA.

3rd, if you really want a good small motor, check out Kipor. Kipor is the OEM brand name of a Chineese manufacturer that makes many of the other brands being mentioned. The Kipor line is absolutely amazing, queit, smooth motors that run for a very long time. Best known for their generators. They manufacture all the Honda, Yamaha and a few other brand generators as well as their own Kipor line.

id vote for the cummins... cheaper than a honda of equal size to what you already have, and you certainly have the room for it
just need 1:2 gear box to spin that pump @ 3600 rpm:msp_biggrin:

id vote for the cummins... cheaper than a honda of equal size to what you already have, and you certainly have the room for it
just need 1:2 gear box to spin that pump @ 3600 rpm:msp_biggrin:

I do agree here. If you want something that will keep on ticking better than the Timex, get a Cummins.

I'm catching up on this thread here...

First, congrats to the OP, very nice splitter you've got there.

As for all the talk about some fast hydraulic unit I guess you can sum it up by saying "It's a kinetic splitter thing, you wouldn't understand.":D

Mr. HE:cool:

Huh?? First, there is NOTHING magical about Honda engines. I don't know how they ever got their rediculous following, but I've had the same exact problems with Honda engines as any other. If any small engine brand name has given me less grief than any other, it would be Yamaha, they have given me the best "luck". And that is abotu all it is, LUCK.

2nd, most small Honda engines are manufactured, and assembled in CHINA.

3rd, if you really want a good small motor, check out Kipor. Kipor is the OEM brand name of a Chineese manufacturer that makes many of the other brands being mentioned. The Kipor line is absolutely amazing, queit, smooth motors that run for a very long time. Best known for their generators. They manufacture all the Honda, Yamaha and a few other brand generators as well as their own Kipor line.
Speak for yourself most would not agree. Honda's, even the cheap ones manufactured in China under Hondas oversight, have a great track record. My welder has a Honda and out of the 20 or so small engines I own it stands out as clearly the best. Regardless of how long I have let it sit or how cold it is outside it starts on the first pull, runs very smooth, and quiet.

Last edited:
I don't have time to look it up, but believe it's just the lower 'cheap' line of Honda engines that are made in china. As said, some are made here and most are made in Japan.

No, they are not magic, but are a Very Good product...

I bought a SS from Paul about 5 years ago.
He was great to deal with.
I have the basic model as I only split wood for myself.
When I run into a gnarly piece of wood that slows the engine, I just
stop the ram with the leaver and go at it again.
I regulary split 100# plus rounds with no problem.
Mainly I split beech, birch, maple, oak, and some soft woods for kindling.
You can run the engine at a lower speed to slow down the ram if you like
but you probably wont do that for long. :msp_biggrin:

Back