Don't want a new saw. Stihl Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it pulls over perfectly fine with the plug out, but won’t with it in?

Exhaust has to be completely blocked or possibly the motor is locked with flooded fuel 🤷🏼‍♂️
Correct it's fine with plug out. With plug in it will barely turn and then it's locked. I have muffler off engine ports are clear. Was not flooded, plug was dry after no start.

I suspect nothing wrong with saw, 25 years ago, you were 25 years younger,
you don’t have the same snap in your arm as you once did. Even guys who say it was fine 6 months ago or last year. I see it all the time and they all say they are the same as is they were then and the saw is the problem. Go to Stihl dealer and pull rope on new ms250 and you will notice that it is the same as your saw, if not worse.
we all get older and weaker and slower, but have hard time admitting it.
Get Stihl elasto start rope handle kit 1128 190 3400 and install it, you will find a noticeable difference in pulling rope

Correct it's fine with plug out. With plug in it will barely turn and then it's locked. I have muffler off engine ports are clear. Was not flooded, plug was dry after no start.
What do you see when you look into the sparkplug hole with a flashlight? Lots of carbon on the piston crown?

What kind of oil have you used prior to the canned fuel?

While sitting for 6 months the fuel system will loose its prime. In this state it could take around 5 pulls with the choke full on to re-prime the fuel system.

Got any younger relatives or neighbors who could give this a whirl?

What do you see when you look into the sparkplug hole with a flashlight? Lots of carbon on the piston crown?

What kind of oil have you used prior to the canned fuel?

While sitting for 6 months the fuel system will loose its prime. In this state it could take around 5 pulls with the choke full on to re-prime the fuel system.

Got any younger relatives or neighbors who could give this a whirl?
I'll have to look again through the plug hole. Since it was new I've used nothing but stihl oil, synthetic when it became available. Yes the saw is not easy to pull, usually 6-8 pulls with full choke then 1 or 2 with half choke. Trust me when I say the saw is locked now with plug in. You cannot do one complete pull.

I suspect nothing wrong with saw, 25 years ago, you were 25 years younger,
you don’t have the same snap in your arm as you once did. Even guys who say it was fine 6 months ago or last year. I see it all the time and they all say they are the same as is they were then and the saw is the problem. Go to Stihl dealer and pull rope on new ms250 and you will notice that it is the same as your saw, if not worse.
we all get older and weaker and slower, but have hard time admitting it.
Get Stihl elasto start rope handle kit 1128 190 3400 and install it, you will find a noticeable difference in pulling rope
I readily admit at 64 I'm slower and weaker. It's not fun pulling it 6-8 times to start. IT IS THE SAW. Absolutely positive "YOU" could not pull the cord it's full extension one time right now, nor can I.

If the saw pulls over easily without plug and no fuel/ oil residue is visible and you put plug in and hard to pull, there is only three things that it can be, the starter pulley or starter post is broken/warped/binding under load, chain is half off sprocket and is binding between the sprocket and sprocket washer or above.
if You think it is the saw, then as I mentioned go to local Stihl dealer and pull a new ms250 and see- there are lots of other threads of ms250 and 025 with your same issue and remedy

Wow! Pull up on starter handle to compression then pull through. If it is still locked, something is binding mechanically. You need someone in a Stihl repair shop to check it. Get at least one of these a week. Correct starting procedure fixed most of them. A fuel and/ or pulse hose the rest. Carburetor also.
I know, customers despise the Stihl technician, but on this case it could save you money.

How about some pics with the muffler off. Pull the plug and look into cylinder with Borescope Endoscope Inspection
Camera. You can pick up one on cyber Monday cheap. Might be easy diagnosing issue with pics.

Take the recoil off and see if you can turn it over with the flywheel. The compression will bleed down even on a good motor. That'll tell you if the issue is internal or the recoil is binding up somehow.
^^^ This

And while you are in there look for signs of contact between the coil and flywheel.

If it is mechanically bound about the only thing other than the wrong length sparkplug would be a crank bearing with a disintegrated bearing cage.

Wow! Pull up on starter handle to compression then pull through. If it is still locked, something is binding mechanically. You need someone in a Stihl repair shop to check it. Get at least one of these a week. Correct starting procedure fixed most of them. A fuel and/ or pulse hose the rest. Carburetor also.
I know, customers despise the Stihl technician, but on this case it could save you money.
What does the pulse hose do and where is it? Carburetor is a year old. Don't think it's incorrect starting procedure, I've had the saw for 25 years.

Take off the muffler, and take some pics of the piston. Try to get a view of the top.
Put up a pic of the plug tip as well.

How about some pics with the muffler off. Pull the plug and look into cylinder with Borescope Endoscope Inspection
Camera. You can pick up one on cyber Monday cheap. Might be easy diagnosing issue with pics.
Don't have a borescope but as stated in my original post with the muffler off while turning it, I can see the piston, both rings and the cylinder wall. With that limited view all looks good.

Back