Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I am the nicest guy in the room, so don't take offense when I ask you what year you are living in.
Jeff

This year, thanks for asking, I was simply trying to offer up some suggestions, also, in small town michigan, these are things that have worked in the past, keep in mind however, due to the economy, ageing equipment and lack of money for bonding etc... the company I worked with is now gone. This was 5 plus years ago...

Last edited:
I cant stand door knockers. I worked all day and come home to spend time with the family and some guy knocks on my door wanting to sell me something i don't want. No, if i wanted that damn tree cut, or the ####ing barn painted, or the gutters cleaned, or my fence row cleared, or whatever,,, id be on the phone getting someone to come do it!!! Im positive every salesman thats ever knocked on my door thinks im 150% ass hole......that fine by me too, maybe theyll never come back. Advertise in the local news paper, classifieds, trading papers, craiglist, or do a good job and word of mouth is good advertisement too.

This year, thanks for asking, I was simply trying to offer up some suggestions, also, in small town michigan, these are things that have worked in the past, keep in mind however, due to the econemy, ageing equipment and lack of money for bonding etc... the company I worked with is now gone. This was 5 plus years ago...

First, I would listen to what a guy in Tennessee said, (small town maybe)
Second, Use spell check.
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Door Knocking is a very effective generator of income and business and better yet cost only time and gas. I started my tree service completely on door to door business. There is an art to being a successful solicitor and most importantly is appearance. If you present yourself as successful you will be perceived as successful. I only knock on doors of houses with hazard trees or dead trees in need of removal on the property. I usually open with an introduction of my company and myself and then say that i was in the area and unfortunately i noticed you have a tree or trees in possible need of attention and would like to offer my services if you are at all interested at this time. I also always offer a copy of my business license and insurance. I am still surprised by the number of people that say man i am glad you stopped by i have been meaning to do something about that. Door to door works well if done right! Keep up the effort, I now have many avenues of advertisement but built it all by and still use door to door.
Hope this is helpful never be ashamed to promote yourself by face to face communication it takes a unique skill set but can jumpstart small business into the big time.

I go D 2 D all the time and get better jobs than off call ins, for 1 you dont have to be the cheapiest bidder 2 you can pick your job and I gross more than all my competitors cause i do the ones that call and the ones that I sell door to door. I think:clap: those guys are a little arrogent, I say just tell them Who u r and what you do, be polite and honest and ignore the nasayers and you will have more work thn you can do............ Good Luck!!!!!

I go D 2 D all the time and get better jobs than off call ins, for 1 you dont have to be the cheapiest bidder 2 you can pick your job and I gross more than all my competitors cause i do the ones that call and the ones that I sell door to door. I think:clap: those guys are a little arrogent, I say just tell them Who u r and what you do, be polite and honest and ignore the nasayers and you will have more work thn you can do............ Good Luck!!!!!

Hacks go D2D, are you a certified arborist? I bet not.
Jeff

Hacks go D2D, are you a certified arborist? I bet not.
Jeff

Im a licenced Arborist thank you, If you dont go d2d good for you but some poeple like dealing with new people and some people would never have called anybody if they wernt contacted first by someone. There are some people who dont hire people who come to thier door, But no form of marketing gets everybody. I have alot of customers and repeat buisness but I still cant pass by someone who needs my services. And if someone is sitting home without a job they need to go find something while they are waiting on advertising to work, that shows ambition in my book. More of america needs to look for work instead of waiting for someone to give them something.
:D

Im a licenced Arborist thank you, If you dont go d2d good for you but some poeple like dealing with new people and some people would never have called anybody if they wernt contacted first by someone. There are some people who dont hire people who come to thier door, But no form of marketing gets everybody. I have alot of customers and repeat buisness but I still cant pass by someone who needs my services. And if someone is sitting home without a job they need to go find something while they are waiting on advertising to work, that shows ambition in my book. More of america needs to look for work instead of waiting for someone to give them something.
:D

Finally, a common sense answer to the original question!
Welcome Jolestree,,
Jeff

Door knocking is one of crap way reaching customers. By doing this customers gets frustrated and they never go for your product. There are many other ways to attract a customers like direct mail, advertising, email marketing and many more which will boost your businee for sure but door knocking will surely ruin your business.

I would rather have someone to stop and take the time to knock on my door then send me pesky emails and mailings in the mail. All junk mail and advertisments goes right in my trash without looking at it. Door knocking can be a good thing if done right. I prefer face to face communication myself. I like customers to be home so i can sell not only the tree job, but myself to them. Sounds like you may not be a people person and d2d doesnt work for you.

I would rather have someone to stop and take the time to knock on my door then send me pesky emails and mailings in the mail. All junk mail and advertisments goes right in my trash without looking at it. Door knocking can be a good thing if done right. I prefer face to face communication myself. I like customers to be home so i can sell not only the tree job, but myself to them. Sounds like you may not be a people person and d2d doesnt work for you.

I door knock. Its gets alot of low quality customers that I often times regret doing business with but also has some that shine. Close a 5k on a door knock and finished the job in one long 10 hour day. Doesn't always work like that but it works. Dont expect good bids on trimming though, most d2d companies are hacks are bidding $100 on a spike hack job on say a silver maple that they are going to do in 30 min when you see a hour of spikeless pruning that actually addresses the tree's issues. All the uneducated customer can see is a $300 price tag and a $100 price tag.

Hell yes im gonna knock

I had my first job knockin on doors at 15 yrs old, this thread had some good info from those who knock regularly. Newer companies like mine who are respectful and have customers tell us we went above and beyond will have no issue at the door. Looks like there were some arb wars a few yrs back ROFL im still laughin at those who think it was okay for them to knock but now that some other guy wants to it should be illegal :hmm3grin2orange: get some slacks, shine your shoes, and knock , then you better show respect cause they took time out of their day to come talk to you at THEIR door. If you got a problem with knockin, better check your ego fools -----Here i go again on my own....walkin down the only street i've ever known....:rock: (i know i changed the lyrics, to fit the knockin topic)

If I see something obvious Like a totally dead tree in the front yard or a big stump I'll knock; Or stick a card with an estimate in the door or Mailbox.

I can usually tell from the upkeep of the house and yard whether they will go for it or not before I decide to try to knock or anything.

I find you get more "door-knocking" business from stumps than anything ( in my opinion). Its usually something they did their self, or had some boot leggers do, and no one had a stump cutter so they left it.

If I'm working next door or up the street, I knock and say " I was working next door/up the street/ in the neighbor hood and noticed that stump/dead tree/ limb down.....are you interested in having it removed?"

they either say, "yes/ how much would it be?" and I give them a good price or they say "no thanks" and I throw them a " It would only be "low-ball-price".

they bite or they don't.

Doesn't make you a hack/ bootleg guy if you do or don't.

I am a 2nd generation in the tree business. I used to take my dad's stump grinder when I was 18 & 19 and go cruising on a Sunday just knocking on doors doing stumps. I might make $400-$500 bucks on Sunday. Just from knocking.

You got to do what you got to do.

I don't just knock like " HEY, you got anything I can do?!"

but if its obvious and you are there go for it!

Door Knocking is a very effective generator of income and business and better yet cost only time and gas. I started my tree service completely on door to door business. There is an art to being a successful solicitor and most importantly is appearance. If you present yourself as successful you will be perceived as successful. I only knock on doors of houses with hazard trees or dead trees in need of removal on the property. I usually open with an introduction of my company and myself and then say that i was in the area and unfortunately i noticed you have a tree or trees in possible need of attention and would like to offer my services if you are at all interested at this time. I also always offer a copy of my business license and insurance. I am still surprised by the number of people that say man i am glad you stopped by i have been meaning to do something about that. Door to door works well if done right! Keep up the effort, I now have many avenues of advertisement but built it all by and still use door to door.
Hope this is helpful never be ashamed to promote yourself by face to face communication it takes a unique skill set but can jumpstart small business into the big time.

Thumb Up!!!

Try e-mails, try adds try it all. And be sure to keep on knocking on those doors "every no brings you closer to a yes!" Don't Give up bro, the longest and hardest journeys start with one step, so be sure you make that step and get out there.

Last edited:
My bad

All i was trying to point out was that no mater what you have to say all people are going to here is BLA BLA BLA I have no work and need $$

It's a fact that d to d dose not work well and pisses people off !!!!!!! put an add on Craig's list or flyer's, post cards and the like would be a better use of time

You dont know what your talking about. I get most of my work d to d. I have met some great people that way who I still have as a customer 2 yrs later. Its not fun, but its better than sittin on your ass doin' nothin'. Craigslist is a joke around here. I have been posting ads on there for two years and Ive never gotten a job from it. A good attitude and a smile is all you need d to d. If they're not interested, say thank you for your time and move on to the next.

I cant stand door knockers. I worked all day and come home to spend time with the family and some guy knocks on my door wanting to sell me something i don't want. No, if i wanted that damn tree cut, or the ####ing barn painted, or the gutters cleaned, or my fence row cleared, or whatever,,, id be on the phone getting someone to come do it!!! Im positive every salesman thats ever knocked on my door thinks im 150% ass hole......that fine by me too, maybe theyll never come back. Advertise in the local news paper, classifieds, trading papers, craiglist, or do a good job and word of mouth is good advertisement too.

I cant stand ####heads

door knocking

I actually prefer door knocking to a CL ad however.

I've found I get a much higher ROI from my own personal sales approach vs. low ball CL shoppers

Then again, the customers are usually coming out of their doors, over to our trucks, asking for estimates!

re

Its a good services and they also providing the soliciting services through their sites.So you can now easily get soliciting services with a quick access to solicitor and also they offering normal rates for their services.

I just get the address, go to the county appraisers office website, get the owners name and mailing address, then mail a letter/flyer to the owner. takes about 15min to get the info and mail out the letter...all from the comfort of my office. No need to knock on doors anymore.

Latest posts

Back