Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had as much of a Seridium cardinale problem as we do then carrying a 1% bleach solution in a $5 spray bottle would be the norm. Just cut the infected branches last, spray and pack up.

Then again I have never been asked to work on Pamela's bush so what would I know!

What a moron! In my last post on this subject I said 10% it should have been 70%. Damn lying no good for nothing dumb arborist I am:laugh:

High all.

First post on this site and I got to say what a interesting time people are having on this site. I personally don't give one rats arse for personal sledging. I would love to know the amount of time two people have spent on posting insults to each other. If you multiplied this by my Aust. hourly rate for consulting ($220.00 per hour) the mind boggles.

Cheers

Love and kisses xxoo

It's still scewing with my billable hours but he is still out there with the same old crap

It's funny but about 2 month after I started this thread, I had an arborist from Kansas call me for a sales position in our company. He found us in google or so. He said he will work full commission as a salesman door knocking with no hourly rate. First day he started was a Saturday and sold about $1,300 of work in 2 properties in the day. Jobs were not bidded poorly either. I was very impressed at how quickly he sold work, I didn't believe that was possible until then. He kept us busy through the whole summer by door knocking and also bidding our current customers. To bad he had to leave early last year for a family emergency. Long story short, door knocking can be very effective for someone that has the confidence to knock on a door when they see an opportunity. And of course be knowledable about the field.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah!! That is what I would say too!!!!!
How ya doing?
Jeff :laugh:

Looks like the past came calling

This is public knowledge as of 2nd of May 2004...

Door knocking is not necessarily cheaper than sending out letters. People assume that letters have to go out in lots of 100. Not true. You can send out as many or as few letters as your budget will allow. With current gasoline prices being what they are, you will probably spend more money going around and knocking on doors all day, using up a tank of gas than you would if you'd mailed the same, targeted group of folks.

This is public knowledge as of 2nd of May 2004...

As is this Jeff ... since you came out of the closet and posted it on Pekkaworld

I would like to nominate myself,

Jeffrey J Darby
DOB: 7 th May 1959
POB: Sydney NSW
26 Dawn Drive Seven Hills NSW​

Which leads us to the following information, all public information available on the Internet.

You run a highly successful and well known Sydney Western Stump Grinding from home. You like to go 4WDing (a Nissan man) and you like to go fishing. You have worked for a while as an arborist / tree worker at North Sydney Council. You and your team take care of all of the council trees in North Sydney. (This is the same council that Pekka head says " North Sydney Council also restricts trade and is in bed with the NAAA" ... perhaps you should go and give your boss what for? You have a blog "JayD the antz pantz in Arboriculture" a title that is a tad pretentious. You run a Macbook Pro 15 which you have just upgraded to 8 gig of ram. You have a daughter who has a pet ferret call princess and your wife has a neat tattoo on her right upper arm.

To quote you, you are "a man of learning" with an AQF level 4 in Arboriculture [I think he means Cert 4 in Horticulture (arboriculture)] and you have enrolled in a Diploma.

You have an almost 2 year old Hyundai (rego number AO 78 UX). And your wife gave you a copy of "the Body Language of Trees" for Christmas in 2009.

With your life experience, great training and qualifications, I trust you will bring a lot to the new organisation! The reality is the Internet age makes it easier for most people to check to see with whom they are dealing regardless of how they come across them ... knocking on doors or spruiking for work on a forum.

Last edited:
I know door knocking has to be the most effective way to get customers, however, I seem to stay blank whenever I approach a customer. Especially not know the kind of reaction I will get. My question to you is, what do you say when knocking on a strangers door to offer your tree services? Like a script. I would like to read what every says. I know I have to be happy and polite. Thanks guys

Practice a scenario with friends. Have some literature about your services AND you to give to prospects. A short list of references is good to have available as well. Be prepared to do an estimate or a short consult as well. If you can't answer a question, tell them you'll get back to them and be sure to follow up. I've disseminated fliers every Spring for 4 years. It works.
NEVER B.S. your way into a payin job...it'll haunt you forever.

good luck

Practice a scenario with friends. Have some literature about your services AND you to give to prospects. A short list of references is good to have available as well. Be prepared to do an estimate or a short consult as well. If you can't answer a question, tell them you'll get back to them and be sure to follow up. I've disseminated fliers every Spring for 4 years. It works.
NEVER B.S. your way into a payin job...it'll haunt you forever.

good luck

I agree! Always be genuine and sincerely interested in helping and serving the property owner. The one great thing about door knocking is that you are often not competing against any one else, so you do not have to be so price driven. However, you should still expect to hear "No" regularly because they often have other things competing for their budget.

Of course, it goes without saying ... always abide by the appropriate laws.

Door knocking,allows the prospective buyer to interact, by asking questions and getting answers on the spot before their interest wanes. Your company can put a face to the company name and your buyers feel special for the effort you have made.

I don't think door knocking makes anyone look like a hak, or broke, etc. If you have a neat appearance, are articulate and professional - you won't have to worry about looking like a hak.

We've sent people out with doorhangers with fair response, but usually after hitting the same neighborhood more than once with the door hanger fliers. It has seemed like the second time around in the same nieghborhood with like 2-3 months in between visits has a worthwhile return.

When I'm out and about, and see properties that are obviously in need of tree care, I have no problem with stopping and saying, "Hi, I'm out delivering an estimate in this neighborhood and noticed: (a) you have branches hanging over your house, (b) you have a large dead/dangerous tree (c) you have pin oak or birch with chlorosis (d) etc, etc, etc; if you have time I can give you a quote right now.....

Shaking someones hand, making in person contact with them - it is meaningful to that person, and you're more likely to get that job, sometimes even if you are not the low-bidder.

I dont see how any of that is demeaning or projects an image of a "hack". I've gotten quite a few jobs like that, and they've referred me to people who refer me to people.

go door-knockers lol

how did you get to that point were no door knocking was needed , iam new and trying to find out the most efficiaant way way to grow my business, were did you advertise, or how did u do it please help iam in california and finding hard to find work , it not that i dont know how to do the work its that i dont know were to start , please help

how did you get to that point were no door knocking was needed , iam new and trying to find out the most efficiaant way way to grow my business, were did you advertise, or how did u do it please help iam in california and finding hard to find work , it not that i dont know how to do the work its that i dont know were to start , please help

You are in LA? Good luck with door knocking. Everyone in SOCAL know better unless they are clue-less hack's. Your better off advertising in Craig's List. Sorry, and welcome!
Jeff :msp_wink:

door knocking

You are in LA? Good luck with door knocking. Everyone in SOCAL know better unless they are clue-less hack's. Your better off advertising in Craig's List. Sorry, and welcome!
Jeff :msp_wink:

what do you recommend then , i tried craigslist and i find that most of the people are window shoppers and are not really going to pay what the job is worth, thanks for your reply, what do you do out there? do you spend on adverstising were do i advertise?, i need help in staying busy ? i have 1 year d oing this and see other guys working dauly ? what do you think they do, thanks again for the help....

Lmao door knock there, no way without me :)

NUCLEAR CANNON - YouTube

what do you recommend then , i tried craigslist and i find that most of the people are window shoppers and are not really going to pay what the job is worth, thanks for your reply, what do you do out there? do you spend on adverstising were do i advertise?, i need help in staying busy ? i have 1 year d oing this and see other guys working dauly ? what do you think they do, thanks again for the help.... if door knocking is not the answer. what do you recommend thank you

to door knoc or not to door knok?

I never solicite. I read a TCIA article a year or so ago that said it is almost unheard of for a good tree company to go door to door looking for work. I have been saying that for 20 years.

that is great that u dont have to do that, so can you help what is the way to get leads and stay busy all week, ive been in business 2 years and have found it difficult, were do you advertise ? what methids do you use to stay busy , i know that work dont just drop from the sky!.. please help iam in lis angeles thank you

Bottom line here is, a question was asked by a guy trying to put food on the table doing an honest days work! What we used to do when we had the stump grinder is spread out in the neighborhood we were in and offer a deal on stumps, ei.., 1.50 an inch, or if we had the bucket, same principle, offer a deal on trimming. Try local hardware store bulletin boards as well. whatever it takes to an honest approach to building your business and provide for you and yours.

Bottom line here is, a question was asked by a guy trying to put food on the table doing an honest days work! What we used to do when we had the stump grinder is spread out in the neighborhood we were in and offer a deal on stumps, ei.., 1.50 an inch, or if we had the bucket, same principle, offer a deal on trimming. Try local hardware store bulletin boards as well. whatever it takes to an honest approach to building your business and provide for you and yours.

Honestly, I am the nicest guy in the room, so don't take offense when I ask you what year you are living in.
Jeff

Back