Double tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking elm might be the one. I don't think it's Catalpa. And certainly not pear.
I took a piece over to where my splitter is and I'll try splitting it one of these days.

Catalpa tends to have a rather stout trunk relative to the size of the tree, if that helps. Elm has a long taper all the way out to the tips.

I guess this was recovered from the City's dump zone, so no ground litter is available? ...Otherwise, you'd have some pods on the ground.

Split a round yesterday. Pretty sure it’s elm, but it split pretty easy for elm. There were parts that looked all stringy like elm should, but some parts split right apart. I think this has been sitting for some time, so maybe that’s the secret.
View attachment 972231
IMG_20220314_192741.jpgThis is an elm twig with buds. Compare it to the bottom right of the very first picture where there are stout twig with large leaf scars. Basswood twigs are a bit thicker than elm but not as stout as the twig in the first picture and basswood have rounded reddish buds

Back