drying wood in your clothes dryer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run it through the washer first, medium setting, warm water. When you put it in the dryer use full heat and maximum drying time.

Take a video...preferably one with really good sound. Let us know how it works out. We're all very interested in this.

And...what the #### is a klim?

Don't forget the fabric softener sheet when you put it in the dryer...........also, its less noisy if you use the delicate fabric setting!

Well cottonwood is fairly durable, could probably get away with permanent press. Now if you're drying out some birch, I'd go with delicate on that one. Don't want to ruin all that good firestarter bark.

Ok. Got it.

Just one last question...

What softener should I use to for those purdy colored flames ?

Sheesh! I can't believe all you guys missed this one:

If you add fabric softener to your hard wood during the dryer process does it come out 'soft wood'? :hmm3grin2orange:

Shari

Ha! Good point!!!That ain't no good in any matter :laugh:

I hate to waste all that energy on just wood, so I usually throw in my flannels with the wood. The flannels soften the sound of the wood banging around, and the wood gives a nice woody scent to the flannels. Makes the wife think I've been out working in the woods when I've only been tinkering out in the shop. Instead of fabric softener I throw in a cup of 2-stroke oil. Helps the wood to catch fire easier. Unfortunately, it also makes the flannels to catch fire easier too, so I need to remember not to do any welding out in the shop with fresh-cleaned flannels.

I would recommend earplugs and a chain drive dryer drum.

The oven is totally silent. Bake at 250° for five hours and you're good to go.

I've got the 250 for 5 part down pat, but how long do I have to defrost the wood before baking? Nothing's more embarrassing than having the relatives arrive on a holiday and finding out your wood isn't cooked all the way through and ready to serve.

Can I reduce the defrost time by soaking it in the sink in cold water?

I've got the 250 for 5 part down pat, but how long do I have to defrost the wood before baking? Nothing's more embarrassing than having the relatives arrive on a holiday and finding out your wood isn't cooked all the way through and ready to serve.

dont use cold water soak it in the sink in used motor oil.

Don't see why not. That's how Turkeys are done, right ?:hmm3grin2orange:

You guys are all waaaay behind.

The best way to do it is to use the Southern Stacking method in the dryer.

Whereas everyone else has been stacking it in the dryer cut ends front to back, we put it in sideways 90* to the axis.

Southerners have been doing it this way for decades. The rotation "spins" the moisture out of the cut ends with centrifugal force.

Dries in no time on low heat, saves energy.....

And I still don't know what the #### a KLIM is.

That's when those fancy-pants Arbo guys have to go up a tree. You know, the proficienals.

attachment.php

Heard in Texas they have really big driers, they fit whole trees inside, sometimes with some forest still around them
But it's texas, hey

SA

Back