dump trailer's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often are you going to be dumping that thing? That's all I don't need is a nother motor to worry about. If the motor won't start you'll be in a bind , at least with the battery it can be jumped. Not like it can't be unloaded by hand but that just sucks.

When I bought my trailer they replaced one of the flashers? in the fuse box of my Chevy with something or another that allows the battery to charge when the trucks running. I'm not even sure, when I asked about charging that's what the guy did, like $30.00.

How often are you going to be dumping that thing? That's all I don't need is a nother motor to worry about. If the motor won't start you'll be in a bind , at least with the battery it can be jumped.

Bingo. I can't imagine making that trade and being happy with it!

When I bought my trailer they replaced one of the flashers? in the fuse box of my Chevy with something or another that allows the battery to charge when the trucks running. I'm not even sure, when I asked about charging that's what the guy did, like $30.00.

That's sounds hokey! :dizzy:

The CORRECT way to do this is to mount an isolator under the hood, and charge the trailer battery from that. An isolator basically splits an electric current. Some charge goes to the truck's battery, some to the trailer battery. If one of them is drained, it doesn't drain the other one. So, unless you do something REALLY stupid, you always have at least one charged battery.

Here are a couple of types of isolators:

Solid state. Probably the most common. Very reliable.

Contact type.
Uh, good if you are charging MASSIVE batteries, but now you have a contact that can fail. I'd stick to a good quality solid state. They last longer. For this application, it's the better choice in my book.

This technology has a solid track record of reliability going back many decades, and it's used in many applications.

Don't spend your valuable time trying to re-invent the wheel. Save your time for making money or having fun.

Last edited:
Dual axle, 7000 lbs....3.5 tonner:chainsaw:

Hehe, It's been a couple years, maybe it was some kind of isolator that he put in there? But it was right off the shelf.

Cool people have all kinds of things on their shelves. And on pallets, and on the floor, and........:)

I put a really good deep cycle battery in my dump trailer. I've only had to dump mine three times in one day (the most). I have power up and down on my trailer. Usually I only have to dump it once. (It holds a lot, over 15 yards of chips -although I only put in 12 to stay legal). When I get home I just put it on charge and I'm good to go the next day. - I keep a pair of booster cables in the truck just in case I have to boost the chipper of the trailer.:)

Latest posts

Back