Dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawhoss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some input on dump trailers. I think I'll be buying new. Firewood sales have been GREAT so far, sold the flatbed dump to a guy who's wanted it for a while, and I'd rather have a dump trailer. Will be hauling logs,rounds,
firewood,mulch,scrap, etc. Thinking about a 6x10 tandem, 10K, stake pockets,
D rings, tarp rail, combination tailgate. My question is, low profile or deck over?
I have a skid loader trailer. Pull vehicle, no problem, 06 Chevy CCSB
Duramax/Allison & '97 Dodge Cummins 5spd.
Thanks in advance for your input!

GOD BLESS our VETERANS!!!

I've been thinking about a dump trailer as well. For a new one, Firewood sales must be really good. Interested in why you would be going with a 10 footer? My thought process is to go with 16 foot, since majority of the cost is in the hydraulics. But of course I don't have one yet because of price.

I think they have 100's of uses, I just keep on trying to justify the expense.

I have worked with a guy that uses a 10K 14 footer. For a tag trailer it would work much better with sides on it. Barn doors and ramps are a must for it. Wireless remote on the dump would be sweet too. If you could swing it a 18K 18ft GN dump would be even better since you have plenty of truck in that Chevy to hump that kind of load around and stop it too.

The majority of our wood sales are fireplace wood. Delivery and stacking is included in the price. mostly face cord or half cord, so no problem with room on the trailer. We do sell a fair amount of heating wood by half or full cord. With this stacking is an extra charge. The trailer would be mostly used for hauling logs and rounds. Also we will be using it around our tree farm and woods in
Northern Wi. So I was kind of wooried about getting too big of one.

MSVOLD thanks for the reply and more importantly, your Service to our COUNTRY!!

Looking for some input on dump trailers. I think I'll be buying new. Firewood sales have been GREAT so far, sold the flatbed dump to a guy who's wanted it for a while, and I'd rather have a dump trailer. Will be hauling logs,rounds,
firewood,mulch,scrap, etc. Thinking about a 6x10 tandem, 10K, stake pockets,
D rings, tarp rail, combination tailgate. My question is, low profile or deck over?
I have a skid loader trailer. Pull vehicle, no problem, 06 Chevy CCSB
Duramax/Allison & '97 Dodge Cummins 5spd.
Thanks in advance for your input!

GOD BLESS our VETERANS!!!

I have an EZ Dumper commercial grade dump trailer. It is 6'8" X 12', 9990 GVWR. EZ Dumper no longer makes dump trailers for some reason, but mine has been amazing. It paid for itself the first 6 months I had it.

I put 2' plywood sides on it using the stake pockets and 3/4" plywood. Filled to the top, it is 2 1/2 cords of wood. It is overweight, but it dumps it with no problem. The best part is you don't have to carry insurance on it if you don't want to, and the registration is only $12 a year in PA.

Once you use the dump, you'll never want to use another trailer again. I would suggest the 12' trailer. You'll find uses for the extra 2'. The 14 footer might be a little long.

My trailer is low profile. I think its more personal preference. Generally, the low pro's biggest plus is equipment hauling. I have an equipment trailer too, but there have been a few occasions when throwing the bobcat on the dump trailer has been beneficial. The low pro's are wider, and I like the way they look too.

You may end up with a slightly longer pile of wood than a taller pile when dumping with the low pro, but its almost insignificant, and would vary depending on how high you stack, and the length of the trailer.

Without a doubt, I would buy the low profile again...I have even considered buying another one since I often rent my 12 footer out as a 10 yard dumpster.

Whichever you choose, don't go cheap and get one single centered hydraulic. Get the commercial grade with a set. It will keep the deck from getting twisted and the two will dump a lot. I know I have grossed over 16,000 when moving stuff around my property and it dumps it like a smaller load.

dump trailer

I love my dump trailer . I have hauled over 70 ton of stone this year alone . and dozens cords of wood, mulch and dirt and oncen a while a toy or two.A dump trailer is much cheeper to buy and cheeper to maintain .this trailer can haul 3 ton legally.

I have 3 dump trailer and wish I had at least one more. If you are going to do mainly firewood 10ft or 12ft is to small. You need at least a 14ft. I have 2 14ft trailers. They will each hold 2 cord loose thrown with 4ft sides. They are nice because they have ramps and tie downs. One has a hydraulic jack. That is a really nice feature and worth he money. Both of the 14ft trailer are 14k. The other is a 12'x7' deck over with 40" sides. It hauls 1 2/3 cord loose thrown. It is my favorite to deliver out of. I also deliver and stack at houses. Most places get 1/3 of a cord. It's nice to dump the trailer up and let the wood slide back to you. The bark mess says in the trailer and you never have to get in the trailer. I like the high one for this because you don't have to bend over to grab wood it's at waist height. The problem with the high trailer is loading. If you don;t have a machine(front loader) it sucks. If you want to haul a skid loader or tractor it's to high. It's a tough choice. Get one with a 14k rating. If it's made right it will weigh between 4kand 5klbs.

Scott

We have a 14' PJ dump trailer exactly like this one:
14' PJ Dump Trailer
Going with a low profile cuts the inside width from 7'-6" down to 6'-10". But that 8" is really insignificant since you can still easily load it well beyond its 14k capacity. Also, when we purchased the trailer, we had tested out everything from 10' up to 24'. The 14' tracks and backs well like the larger trailers, but is actually fairly well maneuverable like the smaller trailers. We settled on either a 12' or 14' and flipped the coin. Thankfully, the 14' won. Those extra 2' are well worth the extra money. Our "legal" loads don't need to be mounded as high. We found that the scissor lift is a lot more stable and has a lot more "grunt" on the heavy loads. We'll never go back to a straight cylinder lifted dump again.

We found that the scissor lift is a lot more stable and has a lot more "grunt" on the heavy loads. We'll never go back to a straight cylinder lifted dump again.

Someday I hope to own a dump trailer. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading and learning from you guys.

So, a question for you two fat guys: Are you comparing the scissor to a double cylinder, or a single? Have you used both?

When you decide what you want, take a day trip down to Indiana, just below the MI border. There are several dealers and manufacturers in that area and you get a great price.

I have a 12', and wish I had a 14', but it gets the jobs done. The barn doors are the way to go. The gate weighs at least 200lbs and is a butch getting off and on. I am constantly taking mine off to get it to dump how I want it to. Gravel is easy, but wood or a load of manure mixed with hay will hang up every time.

Someday I hope to own a dump trailer. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading and learning from you guys.

Same goes for me. I pretty much have picked out which dump trailer I would buy...now to work on the money tree.

Kevin

So, a question for you two fat guys: Are you comparing the scissor to a double cylinder, or a single? Have you used both?

We found the single cylinders to be less stable and the double took longer to dump. I just prefer the scissor lift. I can get up on the fender with it in a full up position and literally bounce the whole trailer with no side sway when trying to dislodge wet sand or sawdust (when I forgot a rake or hoe... LOL).

When you decide what you want, take a day trip down to Indiana, just below the MI border. There are several dealers and manufacturers in that area and you get a great price.

I have a 12', and wish I had a 14', but it gets the jobs done. The barn doors are the way to go. The gate weighs at least 200lbs and is a butch getting off and on. I am constantly taking mine off to get it to dump how I want it to. Gravel is easy, but wood or a load of manure mixed with hay will hang up every time.
I have a friend in the trucking industry and he lines his dumps with a polyethelene sheets and he says anything will slide out even wet clay.

I was wondering how everyone with a dump trailer deal with the battery not lasting more than a few dumps on a charge. I was wondering if anyone has done what I have. I ran a welding lead wire under the truck with a a twist lock disconnets at the end so I can diconnect the wire from the truck to the trailer.will post a pic tomarrow. what solutions have you guys come up with ?

We found the single cylinders to be less stable and the double took longer to dump. I just prefer the scissor lift. I can get up on the fender with it in a full up position and literally bounce the whole trailer with no side sway when trying to dislodge wet sand or sawdust (when I forgot a rake or hoe... LOL).

So the single pumper isn't stable (makes sense - one mounting point), but quick, while the double pumper is stable (two mounting points), but slow (twice the fluid to pump).

And the scissors gives you the best of both?

Back