Dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dump trailer

Thanks for all the input so far. Alot of useful info. I'm multiplying all the information, dividing it by the budget, and I'll see where I end up! Going to have to make a decision shortly, miss the flatbed dump already.

I've got a 6x10 dump trailer with 2' sides and a single lift cylinder. The only problem I've had with the single cylinder is that the bed is bowed up in the middle now from dumping too much weight. The tailgate hinges open at the bottom and on one side. The bottom opening gate is real handy for spreading gravel and such, just set the gate chains, raise the bed and go. To dump firewood, open it to the side. It's a little over 10 years old and is only on it's second battery, marine deep cycle. I ran #4 welding cable from the truck battery to an electric forklift plug on the rear bumper to plug the trailer battery in to while I'm driving and that worked out good. The trailer also has an electric 8000 lb winch on the front and an electric 3000 lb winch mounted on a truck hoist in the rear corner of the bed that all run off of the trailer battery. My biggest gripe is that even though the axles are set back about 2' behind the center of the bed, it's still so short that it's a pain to back up with a long wheelbase truck.l

I've got a 6x10 dump trailer with 2' sides and a single lift cylinder. The only problem I've had with the single cylinder is that the bed is bowed up in the middle now from dumping too much weight. The tailgate hinges open at the bottom and on one side. The bottom opening gate is real handy for spreading gravel and such, just set the gate chains, raise the bed and go. To dump firewood, open it to the side. It's a little over 10 years old and is only on it's second battery, marine deep cycle. I ran #4 welding cable from the truck battery to an electric forklift plug on the rear bumper to plug the trailer battery in to while I'm driving and that worked out good. The trailer also has an electric 8000 lb winch on the front and an electric 3000 lb winch mounted on a truck hoist in the rear corner of the bed that all run off of the trailer battery. My biggest gripe is that even though the axles are set back about 2' behind the center of the bed, it's still so short that it's a pain to back up with a long wheelbase truck.l

It seems to me that all the low pro dump trailers place the axles way back so theres just enough overhang for the bed to dump without hitting the ground, This could tend to easily cause excessive tounge weight. I never liked the look of the deckovers but now they seem mor apealing to me witht their axles at the correct ratio to the bed.. If i remeber right, a ten foot trailer should start in the middle and move back an inch for every foot of bed so the center axle point should be located at 70" back to give that 10% toung weight.

It seems to me that all the low pro dump trailers place the axles way back so theres just enough overhang for the bed to dump without hitting the ground, This could tend to easily cause excessive tounge weight. I never liked the look of the deckovers but now they seem mor apealing to me witht their axles at the correct ratio to the bed.. If i remeber right, a ten foot trailer should start in the middle and move back an inch for every foot of bed so the center axle point should be located at 70" back to give that 10% toung weight.

Mine is a deck over and I wish that it wasn't but I was buying used and couldn't be real picky. On more than one occasion, I've needed to move our skidsteer loader to a site that needed the trailer there also but the trailer's too tall and narrow to haul something like that in, not to mention what it would take for ramps long enough to load a 6000 lb loader. About the only advantage that I can see for a deck over is you get more of the load dumped out before having to pull up, as mentioned earlier, a deck over will give you a shorter, taller pile of whatever you're dumping.

I agree, I'm willing to bet I have 20% tongue weight when I have 2.5 cords of wood on my trailer. The truck can handle it, but its not good for the trailer.

With my taller sides I can get 12 yards of mulch. I always be sure to tell the loader to load it towards the back. They look at me funny, but when I point out the axle placement, they agree.

The guys at the quarry always load me wrong, even when I tell them. After I hit the scales, I'm always back in the trailer with a shovel. It really :censored: me off, but I know I have like 35% of the weight on my tongue if I don't fix it.

I will use and abuse the trailer, but not to the point where my safety or someone else's is jeopardized because of it. I saw an idiot last year pulling a ten footer with a Jeep Cherokee that had about 3 tons of stone in the back. He was jacknifed off the road and was lucky he wasn't flipped over. Towing about 10k with no trailer brakes with a light rig like that isn't the brightest.

I don't think your math is working out. If you trailer is 12ft long and you cut your wood exactly 16" you can get 9 rows stacks on your trailer. Your rows are 6ft wide and 4ft tall. That makes them 24sqft on the front. You need 96sqft on the front to make a cord. Nine rows times 24ft equals 216 front sqft. Divide that by 32(1/3) of a cord gives you 6.75 Divide that by 3(there are 3 4"x8'x16" stacks in a cord) That give you 2.25 cords if you stack that trailer full. Now if you cut your wood 16" I really doubt your getting 9 rows stacked because there us going to be a tad bit of space between the rows. So if you have a back gate it wouldn't close. So stacked that trailer is really gong to hold 8 rows. That would be 2 cord exactly. If you use the match that 180 cubic feet is a loose thrown cord then your only going to hold 1.6 cords. You'll get a little more then that because you'll mound it some. If you customers are happy with that then that is great for you.

The math works.. Again were not loading @ stacked face cords. The trl dimensions are 6'4" x 12'0" x 4'2". I assume a crowned height of 4'8" (based on geometric size of an obtuse cone). This works out to a volume of approx355 cubic feet. (6.333 x 12.0 x4.666 ), or a "loose fill" of 177 cubit feet. Since we cut a shorter length (14-16 ") the consolidation is more efficient.Based upon actual stacking from a loaded trailer we have determined that the the loose load @160 -170 c/f is relative to a nice stacked cord of 128 c/f. We have done this for a long time and have proved it in My own wood rack. Still asking the question... why use a 14' trailer unless the log splits are 20-24" long?? The longer the splits, the more inefficient loose stack will be. If you go to a 16' goose neck w/ 8' width you can really pull some wood, but you might be needing a CDL w/ a minimum 1-ton truck. Plus the added insurance costs....In CA any com'l use of a fifth-wheel requires a CDL, D.O.T. physical, CA numbers, and a stand - alone comm'l ins policy. Plus, make sure not overweight. The fines are o so scary.

I was just about to start a similar topic but i guess i will just tag on to this one since it is already going.

Is anyone using one of the single axle dumps? I don't have the need for a full size trailer and don't have the storage space for the wider axle of the tandems. I mainly cut only pine and thought I could stick almost a cord of rounds in it when camping in the sierras. Does this sound feasible? near me they are around $2k

I was looking at one of these;

http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=27&categorysid=1

DT508-5.jpg

If i was going to buy another dump trailer .it would be another PJ. they are very well built it well worth the extra money.

I was just about to start a similar topic but i guess i will just tag on to this one since it is already going.

Is anyone using one of the single axle dumps? I don't have the need for a full size trailer and don't have the storage space for the wider axle of the tandems. I mainly cut only pine and thought I could stick almost a cord of rounds in it when camping in the sierras. Does this sound feasible? near me they are around $2k

I was looking at one of these;

http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=27&categorysid=1

DT508-5.jpg

i wasnt even aware they had single axle dumps, ive never seen one
5k gvw, on a single axle with 15" 5lug wheels? :confused:
that sounds like a great all around trailer you could use for the quads and wood/mulch whatever, 1300lbs nice and light, all the big tandem dumps would be ridiculous to tow a couple quads around on
the only problem i see is lack of electric brakes
how much?

i wasnt even aware they had single axle dumps, ive never seen one
5k gvw, on a single axle with 15" 5lug wheels? :confused:
that sounds like a great all around trailer you could use for the quads and wood/mulch whatever, 1300lbs nice and light, all the big tandem dumps would be ridiculous to tow a couple quads around on
the only problem i see is lack of electric brakes
how much?

they have electric brakes on them. it seems like it could be more useful to me than a tandem... and since i would only be putting pine in it i dont think i would be overloading it...

they have electric brakes on them. it seems like it could be more useful to me than a tandem... and since i would only be putting pine in it i dont think i would be overloading it...

it says it has optional surge brakes,i didnt see anything on their page about electric brakes on thatone, so i guess they come with no brakes standard?

it says it has optional surge brakes,i didnt see anything on their page about electric brakes on thatone, so i guess they come with no brakes standard?
any idea how much that one costs ?

What will be your tow vehicle?

Kevin

dump trailer

kstill 361, I started out wanting a 6 x 10 10k deck over dump. Now I'm not sure!
Hauling a skid loader is not an issue. 1 guy I know started with a 7k deck over, switched to a 10k. Another guy bought a 10k deck over and loves it. When you talk to most of the trailer dealers, most of them say don't buy one. The dealer I'm talking to now, and probably will buy from, says his deck overs {SURE TRAC} are built very well and has sold many of them. I've bought other truck items from this guy over the years, and he's a straight shooter. The deck over would work better getting between my firewood stacks, 10 feet apart, 110+ feet long. But you don't see very many around. Cost wise, they are about 10% cheaper, and the way things are,every dollar counts! Loading height is not that big of a deal. Both trailers I'm looking at end up to be about 3" different in height, without side boards. Most of the time we will be hand loading. Take off 1 sideboard, load up, put sideboard back on, top off. Still trying to decide!

any idea how much that one costs ?

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=D5

D5.jpg

this must have been one of the ones with electric brakes, thought the bri mar ones had it.

or this one...

http://www.titantrailer.com/Mini_Dump_Trailer_5_8.cfm

Mini_Dump_Trailer_5_8_lg.jpg

What will be your tow vehicle?

Kevin

I have a 78 K5 with a 60/14 axles(one ton setup) and a 05 f-250 diesel crew and a 04 trailblazer. All have over 5000lb tow rating.

Last edited:
dump trailer

nvrs, most of the single axle dumps around us are over $3k. At $2k that's a great deal to me. Watch the gross, some are only 2k. 5k would be the best. In Wi., any trailer over 3k has to have trailer brakes, and be licensed. GOOD LUCK!

nvrs, most of the single axle dumps around us are over $3k. At $2k that's a great deal to me. Watch the gross, some are only 2k. 5k would be the best. In Wi., any trailer over 3k has to have trailer brakes, and be licensed. GOOD LUCK!

I was noticing that they might be sellin the smaller version for $2200... I will have to go take a look at lunch time.

Latest posts

Back