E3 Spark Plugs in Chainsaws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardGrayJr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is anyone using the E3 brand plugs in their saws? I went to every hardware store in town to replace a cracked insulator and there seems to be a shortage of NGK or Champion plugs but my Stihl dealer had a few of the E3's. He said he sells a bunch and his customers swear by them. He even told me I should "upgrade" the NGK in my 441c , but I have my reservations. Anyone have any input on the quality of these plugs?

Is anyone using the E3 brand plugs in their saws? I went to every hardware store in town to replace a cracked insulator and there seems to be a shortage of NGK or Champion plugs but my Stihl dealer had a few of the E3's. He said he sells a bunch and his customers swear by them. He even told me I should "upgrade" the NGK in my 441c , but I have my reservations. Anyone have any input on the quality of these plugs?
They are terrible.

I have no clue about the plug......can't be more than $5.00.....buy it and try it......simple to take out .......

You'd think, but I'm pretty sure I saw them for about 7 bucks a plug the other day. Seemed like a joke for a sparkplug. Not that $7 is going to make or break anything, but if it's not better than the original why pay 3 times the price. Unless there's a shortage of normal plugs which is the situation the OP is in.

I just stuck in a used but functional plug to keep the guys cutting but it is pretty far gone. I was worried about the E3 maybe putting extra stress on the coil so I I asked the question.

I run them in most of my OPE with no troubles. I even have one in my KTM, no issues whatsoever. I've heard a lot of people bad mouth them, but they've provided me with good service.
I didn't notice any difference in performance.

Got to ask..

Why doesn't your dealer have the stock Bosch plug..??

Try a Husky dealer or any auto parts dealer could order it..!!

Your dealer is a 'peckerhead'..!!..NGK are top tier plugs..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Id be more worried about all that extra material on the business end of that style plug letting go and ruining a P/C.

I'd imagine if any plug came apart the P/C is going to be toast. I could be wrong....that actually happened one time. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
My dealer is an Ace Hardware store. He sells lots of furniture, dishwashers and drywall screws. they are bad about running out of stock of often used items in the power tool department. I will speak up for his parts man/saw tech. He keeps a killer supply of Stihl replacement parts on hand and is a pretty knowledgeable technician. He wasn't in today so I couldn't get his opinion.

No experience with them in a saw, but they only lasted 10k miles in the wife's car before the plating bunt off from the electrode on all 6 of them, which introduced a very noticeable ping and miss while in overdrive. I tossed them and went back to bosch platinums.

I appreciate the input, guys. It's twenty miles to the next town and with gas prices the way they are...I guess I'll feed it one and see how it works out.

Order a NGK or Bosch from Advance Auto - Auto Zone..etc.

They (and you) can have it in hand next day..!!
J2F

I remember seeing a post on here which had pictures of a piston with an e3 plug ground electrode design smashed into the top of it. Stick with stock.

Got to ask..

Why doesn't your dealer have the stock Bosch plug..??

Try a Husky dealer or any auto parts dealer could order it..!!

Your dealer is a 'peckerhead'..!!..NGK are top tier plugs..!!
J2F

That is what I was wondering. Even Lowe's carries a good selection of spark plugs in their lawn and garden area along with 2 cycle oil.

It was nuts trying to find my plug. We have a Lowes, Advance Auto, and a Stihl dealer and no one had my plug in stock in any brand. The guys at Advance will have them back in stock by 9 am. I have never had a problem like this in my life. I'll be avoiding the E3 plugs from the responses I've gathered here. Thanks guys.

Back