Echo CS-3510 vs CS-361P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want a nimble lightweight saw for limbing, storm cleanup, pruning, etc. I'd like 30-35cc and 8-9 lbs. What's the difference between Echo 3510 and 361P. I know "P" means professional but what are you getting for the extra $150? Anyone have experience with either or both these saws? Echo has never failed to disappoint me. Is the Stihl MS170 worth looking at. I've always been king of underwhelmed with Stihl's low end saws. What say you? TIA

I have the 352 which is the earlier version of the 3510. It's a good little saw. It surprised me. I did take the cat out of the muffler. It easily out cut the 42cc craftsman I used to have. If you're not going to use one everyday, I would save the $150 and get the 3510. I'm sure you can find some video reviews of it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Very happy with my 361P after 5 yrs, and it's the same proven design as the 355T . The 3510 looks interesting but wasn't available at the time. I suspect the 361P is a bit more powerful and more compact, but have seen no feedback on the 3510.

The 3510 is a new saw that came out recently whereas the 361P has been around for a bit. The 361P was based on a top handle professional saw.

The 3510 has a modern kill switch that returns to position whereas the 361P has the old school toggle switch. You also have the translucent fuel tank on the new 3510.

The 361P has a chrome plated cylinder and a few elements for extra abuse and a slightly larger engine and fuel tank.

I wouldn't waste the money-get the 3510. It's a newer design that's more user friendly.

The location of the exhaust is different I would think, like a top handle the 361p is on the side. The crankshaft of the 361p is stuffed meaning pretty much fills the crank case cavity. The 3510 probably has a more disposable 7 tooth nose bar as opposed to the 4 rivet 9 tooth one. Echo does not seem to state noise, vibration, or hp.

Thanks, I checked out the CS-3510 and was underwhelmed. Compared to the CS-310, the build quality seemed inferior. It also doesn't have as good of consumer reviews as the CS-310. For example the clutch cover and brake handle seem really flimsy and thinner then on the CS-310. Other plastic parts are also noticeably thinner and feel cheaper. That's probably what they sacrificed to get the weight reduction. Antivib seemed about the same. I'm sure the CS-3510 will outcut a CS-310 but I'm not looking to win a cookie cutting contest. I really liked the balance of the CS-310 with 14" bar. I've seen guys claim that the CS-310 responds well to a muffler mod and carb tuneup.

Thanks, I checked out the CS-3510 and was underwhelmed. Compared to the CS-310, the build quality seemed inferior. It also doesn't have as good of consumer reviews as the CS-310. For example the clutch cover and brake handle seem really flimsy and thinner then on the CS-310. Other plastic parts are also noticeably thinner and feel cheaper. That's probably what they sacrificed to get the weight reduction. Antivib seemed about the same. I'm sure the CS-3510 will outcut a CS-310 but I'm not looking to win a cookie cutting contest. I really liked the balance of the CS-310 with 14" bar. I've seen guys claim that the CS-310 responds well to a muffler mod and carb tuneup.
Check out the makita 3601

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The 310 is similar just smaller output than the 352, if you can get a 352 they cut well for their size, the newer replacement is the 3510, it is lighter built,
the specs show this too, the 352 I owned had adjustable carb screws, based on how it cut I would not get the 310 as it has less power.
The only thing I disliked about the 352 / 310 was the fuel cap, mine leaked, it would be fine when you put it down, but if the temperature
changed as it does at night, it leaked fuel, it leaked fuel after almost every fill, I even oiled the o ring on the cap so I wasn't stretching it
as I tightened, Tried less pressure, more pressure, it was always a hit and miss, there was no cracks or damage on any sealing surface,
or the o ring, I sold it and made a profit on it, but it was nice saw, light, easy on the fingers and hands / vibes too, the man who got it off me
has never come back so it must be doing well, and he cuts firewood, I suppose the small stuff with the 352. I bought a Makita EA4300, and like
it a lot more, its a far quicker cutter, and the extra weight has yet to bother me, but the echo started with less pressure if you have arm / muscle problems.
Thanks, I checked out the CS-3510 and was underwhelmed. Compared to the The CS-310, the build quality seemed inferior. It also doesn't have as good of consumer reviews as the CS-310. For example the clutch cover and brake handle seem really flimsy and thinner then on the CS-310. Other plastic parts are also noticeably thinner and feel cheaper. That's probably what they sacrificed to get the weight reduction. Antivib seemed about the same. I'm sure the CS-3510 will outcut a CS-310 but I'm not looking to win a cookie cutting contest. I really liked the balance of the CS-310 with 14" bar. I've seen guys claim that the CS-310 responds well to a muffler mod and carb tuneup.

3510 is built to the same standards and passed the same durability tests (actually mandatory by ISO) so no, all “quality” stuff is just visual impression.
It has lower weight due to decreased number of parts and 42 grams saved on shorter stroke engine.
Filtration system stays clean twice as long as 310/352 due to dual direction pre-cleaning system.
Also it has two way oil tank breather with an air expansion chamber, so “the build” is definitely better on this point alone.

I have a cs3510. I like it for a lightweight saw mine is bone stock except I removed the limiter caps and after about 10 tanks I was able to fatten it up just a tad. I have not muffler modded it. It's great for limbing. That being said for me a ms250 is not much heavier to me and I can use it all day long, and it has more oomph. I like my cs3510 way better than any new poulan. I use it a lot. It pretty much splits the run time with my ms250 now that I have a bigger saw to fell with. Beforehand the 250 was my big saw so I used it alot more.

I love my 3510 its a little monster, very light and maneuverable. I got it and a cs590 brand new for $500 cash. The ms 170 would be underwhelming compared to 510 is awesome
I also have the 3510 and 590, they're great! I am still using the safety chain on the 3510 and will probably get a 14" bar and chain to replace it. My only complaint about the 3510 is that the trigger is too stiff and can lead to hand fatigue if you are using the saw for a long time... The 3510 is a good looking saw, too 👌💯

I also have the 3510 and 590, they're great! I am still using the safety chain on the 3510 and will probably get a 14" bar and chain to replace it. My only complaint about the 3510 is that the trigger is too stiff and can lead to hand fatigue if you are using the saw for a long time... The 3510 is a good looking saw, too 👌💯
I totally agree and what helped me is figuring out the trigger at wot doesn't go flush with the handle so I'd catch myself over squeezing it. Its a very short travel long throw setup which is good and bad sometimes. Thats funny cause at first I wasn't too crazy about the way it looks. Maybe cause I'm from Oklahoma and as a ou fan anything orange and black self-consciously put a bad taste in my mouth. But its growing on me and the taste gose away as soon as I hit the wood with it. I love how light it is especially picking it up after bucking with my ms460.

I wonder if the return spring could be modified for a lighter pull. Or possibly swapped out with a spare carb I have lying around? Might have to look at that.

I totally agree and what helped me is figuring out the trigger at wot doesn't go flush with the handle so I'd catch myself over squeezing it. Its a very short travel long throw setup which is good and bad sometimes. Thats funny cause at first I wasn't too crazy about the way it looks. Maybe cause I'm from Oklahoma and as a ou fan anything orange and black self-consciously put a bad taste in my mouth. But its growing on me and the taste gose away as soon as I hit the wood with it. I love how light it is especially picking it up after bucking with my ms460.
The echo 7310 and a few of their other saws have that new design language but I think it looks best on the 3510. The 7310 is kinda ugly I think, one of my friends has one... Nice saw though. I just bought a used 661 full wrap today. I really wish I could've gotten my hands on an echo equivalent :( have you ever seen Echo's global site, we are missing out on some cool shite in North America:( paid 1200 for the 661 powerhead, my dad gave me the 32" bar from his 461 he uses 36" bar on the 461 probably is asking a lot of it but he runs it. I've ran it too, ok for pine but you can read a book when bucking Oak with it.

Attachments

• 20220113_182255.jpg
    20220113_182255.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211130_160612.jpg
    20211130_160612.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
The echo 7310 and a few of their other saws have that new design language but I think it looks best on the 3510. The 7310 is kinda ugly I think, one of my friends has one... Nice saw though. I just bought a used 661 full wrap today. I really wish I could've gotten my hands on an echo equivalent :( have you ever seen Echo's global site, we are missing out on some cool shite in North America:( paid 1200 for the 661 powerhead, my dad gave me the 32" bar from his 461 he uses 36" bar on the 461 probably is asking a lot of it but he runs it. I've ran it too, ok for pine but you can read a book when bucking Oak with it.
Your not going to believe it but I literally just got home from picking up this 066 red-light that may or may not need a topend for $250. Its got a 36 on it with either a very worn full comp full chisel or a ripping chain cause thats what the guy was going to use it for. Last week I got this 460 with also a 36in bar and your spot on it not doing the best buried in them oaks. I finally put one of those 7310s in my hands last week and your right its kinda like a half transformed transformer to me, but yea I've seen all the saws we don't have on the shelves wouldn't mind one of there 1201s for sure. I'm pretty interested in the Makita 7900 too. That saw just looks like it handles like a dream with gobs of power. Be a good firewood cutter i bet. But I really like the 590 for that right now. I'm about to really dig into it for port work and all the things I do to my woods saws.

Attachments

• 20220114_182925.jpg
    20220114_182925.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
LOL yeah the 7310 does look like a half transformed transformer that's ***** hella funny. What does red light mean does that mean it's a lady of the night? I'm gonna pick up the shorter bar and chain for the 3510 this morning. I used it all day yesterday limbing up Douglas Fir.

I said I'd do it so I did...
Tested it out on some dead oak branches that I use for my fire wood and it was nice 👌⛓️
Haven't used it at work yet... Having 4"less reach might be annoying but we'll see :)

Attachments

• 20220119_143401.jpg
    20220119_143401.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220119_160853.jpg
    20220119_160853.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
My buddy has a ms170 with 16 inch bar and it cuts like my cs3510. We were messing around cutting cookies and in some 4 to 6 inch pine my cs3510 barely out cut that 170 like 12 out of 20 times I got beat 8 times. Now when we went up to 8 inch pine I was consistently a fraction of a second ahead. Out there cutting up a tree the speed difference would be unnoticeable. Now how well you work limbing is very noticeable. You got a great deal on those 2 saws. My 3510 I think was $250 new. My buddy paid around $180 for the ms170. Smaller echo's have gotten high. At the time the cs4510 was $350 didn't have a cs4910 but the cs590 is 399 all day long. 45cc vs 60cc for $50 bucks more.
I love my 3510 its a little monster, very light and maneuverable. I got it and a cs590 brand new for $500 cash. The ms 170 would be underwhelming compared to it

Back