Echo cs-352 or stihl ms 171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwcphoto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
A buddy is buying his first saw. Home Depot has the Echo CS-352, but Stihl has the MS 171 for the same price. Any thoughts on either of these? He has some small trees to clear for a driveway. Thanks, d

Tough call. I've had Echo saws for many years and they are very reliable well built tools. Recently switched to Stihl pro saws and they run strong. At home depot you get no service or parts. Some of the Stihl dealers are no better. If you have a real saw shop that sells Stihl that would be the way to go. I think in this class of saw they are equals.

I had 170 stihl my first saw, was a great for small jobs. Saw was light and easy to maneuver. My grandpa bought his first echo and he is not crazy about it. To me the echo feels cheap and awkward compared to stihl.

I've had a 352 for 2 years now, and it responded well to gutting the muffler and removing the limiters on the carb jets. It's given me no trouble and always starts right up.

It is a plastic saw though. They don't feel substantial like a mag case pro saw does. They're also 10# loaded with gas and oil - which happens to be exactly why I bought it. It's a great limbing saw, and if you need to cut a zillion saplings there's nothing to complain about there either. If you're using it as your only saw, I would look at a 50cc or better saw. 35cc is nice for 4-6", but above that in hard woods it's going to wear on you.

Whatever he buys (and I feel in this instance it doesn't really matter), if you have the time, show him the ropes. I'd advise him to buy canned mix as the only way either one of these saws will fail, given your description of the task, will be fuel related. Teach him about the importance of PPE. Demonstrate (carefully) what kickback is and how to avoid it. Show him the basics of sharpening a chain, cleaning the air filter etc..
Rep to you for helping your friend out

I'd recommend taking a look at the cs-370. They can be had very cheap used and once the epa limiting caps and the cat converter are gone its a fantastic little saw that sips fuel. It may be available with a 14", I'd recommend it. Mines 16" and its just a bit bigger than it would prefer. Either way, I'd highly recommend echo(I have a cs-4600 from the mid eighties too, still a great saw) but I'd try and see if the local dealer will match home depots price

Echoes warranty is next to worthless. Good luck getting it fixed, especially from home cheepo. Now I am not knocking echos quality in itself, just there typically lousy dealer support. Shame as they were usually quite good. Have to drive 45 miles now around here for the only non box store echo dealer. He is not happy with echo for how much warranty work they don't authorize making him either eat it or tell the customer it's not covered and have them pissed off at him. He is about ready to give up the echo line as it's hurting his lawn/turf equipment lines.

If it's the same price it's a no brainer to find the closest stihl dealer with good support (not everyone of them does)

Echo CS 370 and Cs 400 both have a very good rep. I'd go for one of those. Echos is noted for having good small saws, but kind of underpowered large saws. Stihl has good larger saws, but their smaller stuff in mostly homeowner grade and overpriced for what it is. In that size range, I'd go Echo any day.

Echo CS 370 and Cs 400 both have a very good rep. I'd go for one of those. Echos is noted for having good small saws, but kind of underpowered large saws. Stihl has good larger saws, but their smaller stuff in mostly homeowner grade and overpriced for what it is. In that size range, I'd go Echo any day.
Old thread but maybe alive. In 2015 around March, I bought an Echo cs 310. It's been the best limbing saw it owned. Just today it was used to limb and cut up a hardwood tree. About a week ago I removed Limit caps and a slight muffler mod. Wood as big as a coffee can was cut easily. When Bucking firewood, I start at the top of the tree cutting limbs 2.5/3 inches and pulling them clear. I burn some round wood. As I work down the tree the trunk gets bigger. The 026 Sthil takes over. At 14 inches the 029 Sthil gets a go until I'm done or need a bigger saw. I've never ran an Echo 352 but if I'd bought during the once a year 20% off sale I'd have tried the 4 cc bigger ? saw. This month I plan to buy a Echo 490 to replace the Sthil 026. If I like the 490 then I'll probably sell the 026. I'm retired but work some almost every day. For a few hours a day having a small, medium and big saw is handy. Today I flush cut a stump so big a 27 inch bar on the Echo 590 would not reach through. I sawed around placing wooden wedges as I went. Eventually I knew it was cut but I was not able to push it over until it was lifted using a chain and log tongs. The big 590 and the little 310 made my life easy. My schedule tomorrow calls for the cs310 and maybe a Sthil 024. My new Echo 490 may be able to rest both those saws. Until I actually use the saw I can't say.

I've never used the Echo 590 Timberwolf but it has a reputation as a great value - one of the best in a firewood saw. Glad you like it, My only echo is the 310- been a very nice little limbing saw.

Latest posts

Back