Echo saws kinda lame

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is not to like? Light, powerful and graceful - Echos have it all.:msp_wink:

100_4595.jpg

Al.

yeah whats not to like i'll have one of these

attachment.php

and maybe the saw as well

Steve, forgive me, I was only having a little fun. I love Echos - I have some old school horizontal cylinder saws, a little champ or two, a twin, a new hedge trimmer and a couple of trimmers. They are engineered strong and at least here, have good back up. And yes, old Stihls are ugly on the outside too. But then so am I........

No Flippy Caps

That's one thing I really like about my '96 Echo CS 3900. No flippy caps and the caps never leak. Retainers are also still in place after 16 years and have never broken. Believe me, this is one saw that has always been worth servicing and has only been in the shop twice--(1) ignition module and (2) the clutch and sprocket replacement. The old sprocket is still good, but I elected to replace it last year. At least 600 hours on this saw, and that's the original bar. Compression is still excellent.

Lame, my adze.

My 8000 was one of the most impressive saws I have run stock. Heck I was excepting a real turd, but instead it was a real cutter. Brad blsnelling tested it at Poulan GTG and it out cut the saws he put it up against.

Only thing is it weighs as much as a 066. :redface:

CopyofJD800PP505365008.jpg

echopoulanhandle001.jpg

echopoulanhandle002.jpg

That's one thing I really like about my '96 Echo CS 3900. No flippy caps and the caps never leak. Retainers are also still in place after 16 years and have never broken. Believe me, this is one saw that has always been worth servicing and has only been in the shop twice--(1) ignition module and (2) the clutch and sprocket replacement. The old sprocket is still good, but I elected to replace it last year. At least 600 hours on this saw, and that's the original bar. Compression is still excellent.

Lame, my adze.

More like some people are lame like the one who started this thread not Echo saws. Steve

More like some people are lame like the one who started this thread not Echo saws. Steve

wow.well im rubber your glue,what you say about me bounces off me and cant fit through the kitchen door.Just expressing my opinion my bud:cheers:

My 8000 was one of the most impressive saws I have run stock. Heck I was excepting a real turd, but instead it was a real cutter. Brad blsnelling tested it at Poulan GTG and it out cut the saws he put it up against.

Only thing is it weighs as much as a 066. :redface:

CopyofJD800PP505365008.jpg

echopoulanhandle001.jpg

echopoulanhandle002.jpg

I've heard several reports that the Echo 8000 cuts real good at GTG, mine cuts right with my 385xp and 7900 Dolmar. Weighs the same as the 385xp, we all know the Dolmar is light for it's power. The 8000 might not be a high revving saw but has hugh torque wihich will pull a agressive chain. Steve

I really like my cs 352. I use it for limbing, felling under 12", and bucking smaller trees. It always starts by the 5th pull cold, or first pull warm. Pulls full chisel no problem. I run a 14" bar on it, and can just about swing it one handed. It runs a long time on a tank of gas too.

Is it as fast as my 2166? Pffffttt... No. It's also 40% lighter.

i second the 702 evl.great saw. could have used a little more bar on this maple, but hey.
[video=youtube;J40Z_ZnIeuk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40Z_ZnIeuk[/video]

attachment.php

I've got a lot of good service out the small Echo's. It's all I'll ever own for brushing/limbing. Same with the weed eater and back pack blower. When a guy can run the hell out it for 8 to 10 years with out a glitch, he's bound to keep buying.
8+ years on a cs306 and not a hitch, 10+ years on a really small weed eater, one throttle cable,,If weren't for Jonsered building a really good 71cc saw, I'd probably buy a big Echo,,
..............................................................:poke:

Oh this 702evl 70cc Echo impressed me too. Pulls a 24" 8T with no problems. I like the short bar for my cutting though.

clean702003.jpg

clean702005.jpg

I like the looks of that saw alot. I do think that echo saws are on par or better than the Husky or Stihl homeowner saws. Its the pro model Stihls and Huskys that are above them IMO. I just think You could get morw timber on the ground with a pro grade Husky or Stihl. I think echo holds its own for occasional use

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? OP says he's not impressed with cutting speed on Echo's latest saw line, and eventually guys trot out pics and vids of vintage Echos that kick butt?

Isn't that like a guy saying the big box store Poulans suck and then fellas show pics and vids of the cool older total muscle Poulans to refute the claim?

I'm not sayin. I'm just sayin. :msp_confused:

Personally you guys are being a little hard on Echo. I have stihl, husky, johny, redmax,dolmar, and echo equipment. I will tell you my findings. Echo saws are not as fast as some of the others, They weigh alittle more for the HP they produce. The Pros are they always start. Leave fuel in them all winter the fire up in the spring. Rarely even a carb adjust. Have never had any real problems with echo equiptment. When was the last time someone started a thread about a new echo and it smoking a piston? The community I live in switched to using all echo for the city workers. I know one of guys. They seem to love them. I know everyone has their own opinion.
If you you ask me it is hard to bash something that always starts, will work all day and come back tomorrow to do it over again. Again this is just my opinion.

I had a cs 370 it helped pay the bills cutting firewood. I ran the crap out of it to, never missed a beat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Am I missing something here? OP says he's not impressed with cutting speed on Echo's latest saw line, and eventually guys trot out pics and vids of vintage Echos that kick butt?

Isn't that like a guy saying the big box store Poulans suck and then fellas show pics and vids of the cool older total muscle Poulans to refute the claim?

I'm not sayin. I'm just sayin. :msp_confused:

Exactly.New Homelites are crap,but an old 750 will tear most any new saw a new dairy air(spelled wrong I know).The Echo everybody seems most impressed with are the smaller saws,which Ive never used.But like Ive said 14 times now,the videos of these saws are not impressive.I have a stock Stihl 250 that would eat these saws for lunch.As for reliability,that 250 has had a starter rope and a spark plug since new.Has cut 24 inch wood several times in 90 degree heat non stop all day.Not bad for a "homeowner saw".According to Echo,all they make is Professional grade saws.Well Id hate to see their homeowner saws if they ever decide to make a line

Exactly.New Homelites are crap,but an old 750 will tear most any new saw a new dairy air(spelled wrong I know).The Echo everybody seems most impressed with are the smaller saws,which Ive never used.But like Ive said 14 times now,the videos of these saws are not impressive.I have a stock Stihl 250 that would eat these saws for lunch.As for reliability,that 250 has had a starter rope and a spark plug since new.Has cut 24 inch wood several times in 90 degree heat non stop all day.Not bad for a "homeowner saw".According to Echo,all they make is Professional grade saws.Well Id hate to see their homeowner saws if they ever decide to make a line

Have you run your 250 against a muff modded CS400, I've run mine against a 029, 290, Husky 55, Echo CS440 Shinny 488 and a CS520 , the CS520 beat it good, the 290 and 029 were just about even maybe a second faster in a 16 second cut and the CS400 smoked the rest, just the way it is without orange glasses on. Steve

Im not really a brand basher,cause I like all saws.But I was looking at Echoes website and their own videos make the saws look like turds.Look really slow cutting.Ive only owned 1 echo saw,a 670.I thought it was slow and heavy.I will continuwe to avoid Echo,since it seems they aint got no better

You are right, not much to add here! :msp_rolleyes:

There is a reason they usually don't make any statements about power specs.....

Latest posts

Back