Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw is at 151 tanks. Got to test some small saws today. Will post vids when they are uploaded. Ran 152 Efco, 346 (OE) Husky, 5000 Partner, 246 Husky and 5000 Redmax. All stock.

Pic of my CS62's mesh filter. You are looking at the "clean" side of the filter, there is not supposed to be any sawdust on this side, but there is.

The saw had been cutting doug fir, and admittedly, I should clean the filter more frequently.
attachment.php

I had dabbed the sealing surfaces with grease, so I'm sure the dust was not leaking past the seals.

I'm going to retire the mesh filter and replace it with a flocked filter.

Sure looks like the outside of the filter to me, why do you call it the clean side. Steve
The airflow path on an Efco is not obvious at first glance.

Air enters through the starter housing (similar to a Husky, I think -- never having owned a Husky :dizzy:), travels through the carb area, and upward through the filter. The filtered air makes a 180 turn into the carb boot.

The green arrows show the path.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope it makes better sense now.

Last edited:
The airflow path on an Efco is not obvious at first glance.

Air enters through the starter housing (similar to a Husky, I think -- never having owned a Husky :dizzy:), travels through the carb area, and upward through the filter. The filtered air makes a 180 turn into the carb boot.

The green arrows show the path.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope it makes better sense now.

I don't think so, it's all sucked in from the outside of the filter. Steve

Do all your efco saws have an outboard clutch? How do you like the 156 and the 165

Yes they have the outboard clutch. I have not started the 156. I have used the 152,165 and Oleo-mac version of the 181. The 165 is the only one that seems under powered compared to a 365 for example.

The air comes up through the open part of the filter (part facing the saw, outside of filter), into topcover and carb opening. With the topcover on the filter area is sealed. The only air enters from the bottom, up thru filter. The top of the filter that you see in the pic is the inside of the filter (open to carb throat).

attachment.php

Last edited:
The air comes up through the open part of the filter (part facing the saw, outside of filter), into topcover and carb opening. With the topcover on the filter area is sealed. The only air enters from the bottom, up thru filter. The top of the filter that you see in the pic is the inside of the filter (open to carb throat).

attachment.php

That's not the same filter as mtngun has posted, not even close. Steve

How do you like the 156 and the 165
The 165 is a stroked CS62, yet the CS62 makes more power than the 165. They must have detuned the 165 for emission purposes. I don't know exactly what they changed, other than the stroke.

It's a shame, because the CS62 was Efco's best saw.

I'd like to see someone tear into a 165 and see how its compression ratio and port timing compare to a CS62. The 165 would probably respond well to a woods port.

The 156 (or CS56) is built on the same frame as the CS62, so it weighs the same while making less power. Only reason to buy the 56cc model is because a lot of them sold for cheap when John Deere closed out their Efco business.

Mountainlake, StihlCrazy's pic appears to be one of the smaller models, but the airflow is the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back