Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 152 has 250 tanks thru it now. Working good, no issues yet. Best cold starting saw I ever had. A small log/pulp/firewood outfit bought 2-152s, a 156 and 165 from me this month. Now we will see what they are made of.

Thanks for keeping us updated! This is one of the better threads here on AS.

Thanks! Rep sent!

update on 152?

Any updates on the longterm test? I'm considering the 152 to replace my aging Husky 455.

thanks

I have nothing to add regarding the current saws, but we ran Olympiks back in the early 80's. Nice saws, ours were in the 3-4 ci class IIRC, 20" bars running 3/8 chisel in maple, ash, beech, white and yellow birch, northeastern stuff not over 20-24" DBA. Only problems I recall were related to things like dropping the saw off a ledge or something and breaking castings.

Any updates on the longterm test? I'm considering the 152 to replace my aging Husky 455.

thanks

Personally, I would go with the 156. Magnesium vs. plastic, and I own a CS56, the JD badged version, so I'm biased. I've run a 455, and the Efco saw is better than that Husky. They are on sale now at Menards, if you have one around you. 152's are a fine saw also, have not run one, haven't seen any to work on, sold a few and peoples seem happy with them.

thanks

Up to 302 tanks now. Still no issues. Rather boring saw. Just starts and runs, no problems.

Running 3/8 chain now for firewood work.

The company that bought the 152s, 156 and 165 has had no issues with any yet. They like the 156 best for their work.

I'm tempted by the weight (or lack thereof) on the 152... seems like a nice little beast with good power to weight ratio.

Can anyone weigh in on the quality/durability relative to the bigger Efco saws? I'd consider a 156 if it's really that much better a saw. I'm not a pro, but definitely do more sawing than your average homeowner. 7 cords firewood/yr, lots of fenceline clearing, pulling out 5-10k feet of saw logs annually.

Thanks.

I'm tempted by the weight (or lack thereof) on the 152... seems like a nice little beast with good power to weight ratio.

Can anyone weigh in on the quality/durability relative to the bigger Efco saws? I'd consider a 156 if it's really that much better a saw. I'm not a pro, but definitely do more sawing than your average homeowner. 7 cords firewood/yr, lots of fenceline clearing, pulling out 5-10k feet of saw logs annually.

Thanks.

Both the 152 and 156 are listed as semi pro saws, but the 156 shares everything but piston/cyl with the pro saw. And 156 piston/cyl is the same design, and quality as the pro cyl and from same company. I would say if weight is no issue buy a 156.

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'll have to go put my hands on 'em now and judge for myself.

Efco chainsaw

I got this from Emak USA Inc.

Our 152 is aluminum crankcase. This model is a “drop in” engine. Engine base is plastic will not get hot and warp.

The bigger saws are complete metal casing.

8200 Aluminum

7200 Magnesium

165 Aluminum

156 Magnesium

Good Post, Stihl Crazy. It definetly shows how good the little Efco's really are.
Most people will never run a saw a fraction of that. We've prolly got at least 150 tanks or more through are JD badged 156. With a five year warranty how many tanks could a guy get.lol
Rep sent for a great thread!

Latest posts

Back