Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I opened up the existing 2 exhaust ports. Second time nothing fancy, just drilled a hole in the front. Will bring it out of the woods on the weekend and get some pics.

Looks like the early 242 Husky drum is a perfect fit, 242 clutch is wrong thread to work. 254 clutch spins on but is too big for the drum. 254 drum fits but is too big for the brake band.

Efco drums are expensive ($65 here). I use Oregon replacements on the 156/162/165.
Early 254 drum gives you the option of running 7 or 8 tooth .325. Some like it that way.

first failure

Part way thru tank 402 brake side broke. Don't remember the saw ever getting hit. It did fall off the porter about 100 tanks ago. Don't know if it got hit when it was out as a loaner.

Read alot of negative comments about plastic on Efco saws, well this part is metal.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A clever guy with JB Weld and a piece of screen could fix that cover, or leave it the way it is and you have a very open noodling saw.

Mark

Guess I'm not clever, I just put another one on it. I have been buying Emak parts saws to get a few used parts on hand. Its ready for tank 403 tomorrow although the heated handles really felt nice on the 260.

SC, I was just wondering if any of the saws (Efco) are what is referred to as X -torque, or equivalent. Dose any of the saws have a catalytic converter?How about fully adjustable carburetor? Ken

WOW those covers are pretty stout......it would take a pretty good impact
to bust one off like that. You would almost have to drop it on concrete I would think, even then it would have to hit just right.

The saw started to vibrate as if the bar nuts were loose. Saw it was broke when I checked the nuts. Could have been cracked for a while. This saw does not get pampered. I don't purposely abuse it but it gets run hard. I want to see what issues arise. I am the first guy selling them in this area.

SC, I was just wondering if any of the saws (Efco) are what is referred to as X -torque, or equivalent. Dose any of the saws have a catalytic converter?How about fully adjustable carburetor? Ken

No strato or converters on 47cc to 80cc yet. Fully adjustable carbs. My small trimmer has catalytic converter (called burn right). Some homeowner models come either way.

http://efcopower.com/indexPro.jsp

Yeah, that saw took a hit somewhere, and the plastic held up Ok. Haven't heard a complaint this way either, although some of the dealers aren't happy about the pricing issue yet. Hard to sell saws when the box store is under you $50-65 dollars. Thats a lot of customer service to keep someone interested. We can't buy them wholesale for what them guys are selling them retail.
If I may ask, are you running the nylon air filter, or did yours come with the felt like one? Has the filtration been good, or have you seen any issues there? Again, heard complaints, and seen a little bypass, but after switching my JD 56 over, have not. Seen a lot worse on way more expensive "pro" saws.

Yeah, that saw took a hit somewhere, and the plastic held up Ok. Haven't heard a complaint this way either, although some of the dealers aren't happy about the pricing issue yet. Hard to sell saws when the box store is under you $50-65 dollars. Thats a lot of customer service to keep someone interested. We can't buy them wholesale for what them guys are selling them retail.
If I may ask, are you running the nylon air filter, or did yours come with the felt like one? Has the filtration been good, or have you seen any issues there? Again, heard complaints, and seen a little bypass, but after switching my JD 56 over, have not. Seen a lot worse on way more expensive "pro" saws.

All my Efco's come with the nylon filter. It seems to run on the clean side of average. I'm not worried over it, seen alot worse. Better than the 260 and 346 I have as backup.

Test on hold

I'm wimping out and using my saws with heated handles. Will resume with the test when it warms up. Will post my thoughts on the saw in the next couple of days.

Historically the problem with stuff made in Italy has been that parts are impossible or near impossible to get. What's the story with Efco?

great thread....please dnt forget to keep us updated. Ive been running efco 152's for about 7 yrs now. great saws. Nobody would take me seriously when ive been braggin about how good they are compared to stihls and huskys..etc

Historically the problem with stuff made in Italy has been that parts are impossible or near impossible to get. What's the story with Efco?

:mad:Parts for these are easy to come by, if you have a dealer nearby. Parts for the older Efco ones are not as hard as people think, not any harder than a lot of other saws.

I think the fact that SC has put over 400 tanks of fuel through his 152 and it is still running like a new saw speaks volumes for the design and manufacturing processes of the Efco saws. This afterall is a "clamshell" engine. Thought by some to indicate a substandard "homeowner" type of saw. I think this type of performance is more indicitive of a professional level of performance.:bowdown::bowdown:

The 152 is not a clamshell engine. It has a separate crankcase like pro saws. One difference is that the crankcase and oil tank are not the same. The crankcase on the 152 bolts into the oil tank/saw housing. Here is the IPL. Notice cyl and crankcase on page 1. Oil tank/body of saw on page 5.

http://efcopower.com/allegati/152.pdf

yeah I was gonna say that.....these are not a clamshell saw.....infact im so suprised they aren't being used for radio control applications....this engine would make one hell of a mean airplane engine......too big for my tmaxx and smaxx....they are already too powerful....too much stuff gets broke! :rock::censored:

When you go to put a new piston and rings in this unit...I recommend the episan kit thats sold somewhere(pm me). The OEM are mfg by vertex...the episan is way better quality...and way cheaper also. You have a ways to go...im just sayin.....when the time comes. Ive had my cub cadet version for 6yr i do believe.....I cut firewood commercially......last winter i put a new piston and rings in it and cleaned/enlarged the ports with my dremel.....great saw....they dnt get the respect they deserve!

I dnt like the OEM vertex pistons...My piston stop went right through the top on disassembly.....for now on I stuff the jug full of clean starter rope....

166836d1294002025-efco-002-jpg

Last edited:
yeah I was gonna say that.....these are not a clamshell saw.....infact im so suprised they aren't being used for radio control applications....this engine would make one hell of a mean airplane engine......too big for my tmaxx and smaxx....they are already too powerful....too much stuff gets broke! :rock::censored:

should have bought an hpi savage:hmm3grin2orange: or an losi lst2:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back